Latest post Fri, Feb 17 2017 11:29 PM by djhg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:41 PM

• daktulus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 904
    • Points 12,970

Shortcut to open clip in new pop-up monitor?

As far as I remember there is a shortcut to open clips or sequences in a new monitor although the bin setting says composer window.

i7, Nvidia 860M, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, MC 7.03. Dell Precision M90, Core2Duo 2.16Ghz, FX1500, SATA 7200rpm, MC 4.05. Dell650, 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, FX500, 5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:43 PM In reply to

Re: Shortcut to open clip in new pop-up monitor?

Hold ALT, double click the clipor sequence in the bin.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 14 2017 12:24 AM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 5 2012
    • Posts 52
    • Points 560

How about if I want to open clips in new pop up monitors from the timeline?

MC 6.5.4 HP Z400, 12GB, Nvida Quadro 2000,ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Sony FS100, Sony NEX6, Sony and Leica R lenses... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 17 2017 12:59 PM In reply to

• jo56lu
    • Not Ranked
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 27
    • Points 355

djhg:

How about if I want to open clips in new pop up monitors from the timeline?

Match Frame (sets also an In Point)

Alt + Match Frame doesn't set an In Point.

If Match Frame isn't already on your Timeline Toolbar, you can find it in the Command Palette (Other Tab).

HP Z840 2 x E5-2630V3 8 core, 32 GB RAM, Quadro K4200, AJA KONA LHe Plus w/KL-Box, LSI internal RAID, Win 7 Pro, Avid MC 8.5.3 w/Symph option [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Feb 17 2017 4:21 PM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 52
    • Points 560

THanks, but Match Frame replaces whatever's in the Source MOnitor with the selected clip. I want to open some clips from the timeline into preview windows separate from either the Source or Record Monitor.

MC 6.5.4 HP Z400, 12GB, Nvida Quadro 2000,ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Sony FS100, Sony NEX6, Sony and Leica R lenses... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 17 2017 5:14 PM In reply to

• jo56lu
    • Not Ranked
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 27
    • Points 355

Pop up monitor makes sense only in single monitor view IMHO

HP Z840 2 x E5-2630V3 8 core, 32 GB RAM, Quadro K4200, AJA KONA LHe Plus w/KL-Box, LSI internal RAID, Win 7 Pro, Avid MC 8.5.3 w/Symph option [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 17 2017 6:06 PM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 52
    • Points 560

I think I have a case where it would be useful, but maybe there's another way to do what I am attempting:

I have applied different versions of a particular Baselight effect to several very similair rather brief segments on the timeline, all different segments from the same original clip. Many more segments from the same clip require slightly different versions of the particular effect.

I copy the effect from one of the 'effected' segments. I navigate to one of the 'uneffected' segments to display the segment in the Composer MOnitor to discover if the effect I have copied is the best fit of the similair effects I have created. I could make that determination in an instant if I could see frames from the other 'effected' segments at a glance, but I can only compare the contending uneffected shot to the one single segment I have loaded into the Source monitor. Instead, to make this determination I would have to zoom out, navigate to the other shots in quesion, and view them one at a time with Matchframe in the Source Monitor - cumbersome, time-consuming, and potentially inconclusive. (I ended up just pasting one version of the effect everywhere and modifying each effect instance, one by one.)

If the segments in question weren't all from the same clip, I could open each from the bin in its own pop-up window for comparison. It seems to me that being able to do the same thing from the Timeline would solve this problem nicely.

• Fri, Feb 17 2017 6:55 PM In reply to

• jo56lu
    • Not Ranked
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 27
    • Points 355

A workaround would be to (pre-)open several pop-up windows with Match Frame (from different clips, otherwise there will only be 1 pop-up monitor), and then load either your particular clip by dragging from the bin in every monitor and park on the frame you want to see, or if you want to see the clip with effect applied, drag the sequence from the bin in every monitor.

Interestingly I found out that with a clip that has a motion adaptor, Match Frame will open a new pop-up window every time, even from the same clip.

• Fri, Feb 17 2017 11:29 PM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 52
    • Points 560

Thanks, I may have to try that next time. Navigating through the clips, which are about a half hour long, to the parts I need to see (which are several seconds in lenght) would be time consuming (though maybe timecode copy/paste from the source window could streamline it), but these clips wouldn't have other effects applied.

It would be best if pop-up windows could open from the timeline, but the dearth of responses here may suggest that it isn't possible.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller