Latest post Wed, Jun 10 2015 5:18 PM by Mark Wawrzenski. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 10 2015 3:30 PM

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 10 2015
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Applying Matte Key effects settings to other Matte Key clips

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to copy effects settings from one Matte Key and paste it to another.  One thing that comes up quite often, is that I set a drop shadow for a Matte Key title and I have many other titles I'd like to apply the same exact drop shadow to.  The only thing I have been able to do at this point is go into each matte key's effect settings and do it by hand.

Thank you.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 10 2015 4:31 PM In reply to

Re: Applying Matte Key effects settings to other Matte Key clips

I'm not 100% I know what you're asking for the matte, but I believe all you have to do when you get the matte the way you want it is to drag the matte key icon from the top left of the effect editor window into a bin.  Then drag this effect onto each clip in the timeline you want to key in.

For titles, once you have a shadow style you want look for the dropdown menu next to Styles (lower left of the title tool).  Select "Save As" and in the next menu make sure all the values you want to be common (shadow properties, in this case) are checked and anything you don't want changing (fonts / sizing) are unchecked.  Give it a name in the center window like "DropShadow" and done.  Then you can open any other title, select the type with the arrow, and using the dropdown menu select "DropShadow".  The Style tool is a bit clunky, with the style name in the middle of a screen and no "cancel" button in case you need to go back ot the title and re-edit.

Hope this helps the edit - Mark

Alkemy X  Philadelphia, PA www.alkemy-x.com

• Wed, Jun 10 2015 4:51 PM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Hi, Mark.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

So, just to clarify, these are not title tool titles.  They are titles created in Photoshop.  I have tried dragging the matte key effect to a bin (after I've added the drop shadow) and then dragging it on to the other clips in the timeline... but that doesn't work for me the same way as say, dragging a color effect would work on "normal" /non-matte key clips.  Does this work for you?  I'm on a Mac (OSX Yosemite) and MediaComposer 8.3.1

• Wed, Jun 10 2015 5:12 PM In reply to

• AC_edit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 20 2011
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 48
    • Points 505

Option+drag the effect icon from the effect editor to a bin, and then option+drag that effect from the bin on to the existing matte key that you’d like to change.  With matte keys, option+drag creates an effect without the key source, but copies over all parameter settings (like shadows.)  You just need to make sure that the “type” of effect matches the one that you’d like to change (i.e. straight matte key effects (2D) can be applied to other straight matte keys, but not to matte keys that have been promoted to 3D, and vice versa.)

MC v8.3.1 & v7.0.4 / 17" Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Core i7 w/16GB Ram, 500GB HD/7200rpm / OS 10.9.5 / AJA Io 4K **AVID Editorial since 1991** [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 10 2015 5:17 PM In reply to

• dmehalik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

AC_edit:

Option+drag the effect icon from the effect editor to a bin, and then option+drag that effect from the bin on to the existing matte key that you’d like to change.  With matte keys, option+drag creates an effect without the key source, but copies over all parameter settings (like shadows.)  You just need to make sure that the “type” of effect matches the one that you’d like to change (i.e. straight matte key effects (2D) can be applied to other straight matte keys, but not to matte keys that have been promoted to 3D, and vice versa.)

Whoa!  Awesome!!! You just changed my life!!! Thank you very much!

• Wed, Jun 10 2015 5:18 PM In reply to

If you make your shadow and hold down Alt and drag it from the top left of the effect timeline into a bin, it goes into the bin and says "Filename (Without Src)".  You can then Alt-drag this icon onto the other titles on the timeline and the shadow will follow.  The caveat is all the postitional, scaling, etc. parameters follow it as well.  If you did all the design in Photoshop then you're good, but if you maniplated the titles in Avid then it's not a good way to work.

Mark

Alkemy X  Philadelphia, PA www.alkemy-x.com

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller