Latest post Mon, Feb 22 2016 3:55 PM by 22Video. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 7 2015 2:28 AM

• EFelle1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 7 2015
    • Posts 4
    • Points 85

Question regarding Panasonic HC-X1000 4K Camera

I just bought a Panasonic HC-X1000 4K compatible camera.  I shot some footage the other day and have had trouble importing that into Media Composer 8.3.  Does anyone know how to rectify this problem - perhaps I need a plug-in?   A detailed step by step would be greatly appreciated.

• Sun, Jun 7 2015 3:43 AM In reply to

Re: Question regarding Panasonic HC-X1000 4K Camera

Not familiar with that particular camera - when you shoot a card, what's the file structure like?  Is it just straight .MP4 files, no file/directory structure?

Regardless, the "import" command is not what you want - that's considered the old/legacy way of bringing media in.  Now, you'll want to use AMA Link.  The question is - is there an AMA plugin required for this format?  That's why I ask about the file structure.

Depending on the camera format/structure, you may or may not need an extra plugin.  If it's just .MP4 files, you should be able to simply AMA Link to the files, and they'll appear in your bin.  Keep in mind, AMA Link simply points to the original media, wherever it is - on the card, in a folder on the hard drive, wherever you put them - so, especially if it's on a card, the performance may well be horrendous.  That's why from there, you can transcode to a DNxHR codec.  Make sure you have plenty of storage when you do that.

I do see it's your first post here, welcome!  I'm not sure of how familiar you may or may not be with MC overall and its workflows, so there may be more explanation needed regarding AMA, transcoding, and so forth - or maybe not!  It may be something you're already very familiar with from other cameras.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 5 2015 3:27 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 1 2009
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

I am having exactly the same trouble with the same camera and mp4 clips.  Quicktime will not recognise them, I have tried converting them using handbrake and Avid refuses to recognise them, VLC player will play them but with stuttering.

I thought MC 8.4 was supposed to be able to handle 4k footage there are no plugins that I can see which are requred to be downloaded, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction as to what I or we are doing wrong.

HELP

Derek M

• Sun, Aug 16 2015 3:56 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

I have resolved the problem with importing 4k footage into mc 8.4

I used Borosoft Video Converter software and changed the audio to AAC and MC8.4 will now import the files perfectly

Derek M

22Videouk

• Mon, Aug 17 2015 2:21 AM In reply to

There are other solutions out there. You might want to think twice about using that one:

Macworld: "Speaking With Spammers"

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 8 2015 2:06 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

I have found a way of importing footage (but NOT AMA linked clips) into mc 8.4

I used Borosoft converted and created the files as m4v - MPEG4 Video and it works.

Takes quite a while to import them into MC 8.4 but edits ok on the 4k timeline

Hope this helps, as it has taken me weeks to sort this problem out

Derek M

22Videouk

• Thu, Sep 10 2015 2:09 AM In reply to

Per my prior post - think twice about using that one.

There are other tools out there.  Regardless, transcoding your raw media to heavily-compressed H.264/M4V media, only to have to RE-transcode it when importing it to MC, is not the way to go.

Are you on Windows or Mac?  On the Mac, EditReady is a VERY useful and reputable tool.  I'm not sure what's out there on Windows, but I'm sure there's probably something out there that can quickly re-wrap the raw meda - ClipToolz had been one answer to this.

• Mon, Sep 28 2015 7:55 AM In reply to

• smarkock
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 28 2015
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Hmmm, it may be the incompatible format supported by MC 8.3. You can use HD converter or Format Factory to convert to MP4 (H.264/AAC) format and have a try.

• Mon, Dec 14 2015 7:03 PM In reply to

• Gretski
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 174
    • Points 2,330

Did anyone solve this issue?

I have just been give some mp4 files from a panasonic HC-x1000 camera   - ordinary HD files NOT 4K  but avid will not link and will not import.

I installed the latest panasonic AMA plugin but still no good.

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 22 2016 3:55 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

I am still having the same problems, cannot import anything from H1000e camera with out transcoding the files.

Borosoft has never spammed me by the way!!

I do notice a drop in quality of the 4k files once converted, even on a non 4k monitor it is noticeable.

Derek M

22Videouk

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller