Latest post Thu, Sep 22 2016 3:53 PM by rdw. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 6 2015 7:43 AM

• Benjamin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2012
    • Lille
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Which current Laptop with Avid MediaComposer 6.0.5

Hello,

I use Dell M6500 laptop with Avid MC 6.0.5 and I'd like to replace it with a newer (lighter and less bulky). Now Avid laptop specs for this version (HP 8760w / HP 8560w / Dell M6600 / Dell M4600) that are no longer sold Confused

Would you please a feedback with a newer laptop (Dell, HP, Lenovo..) that correspond to the software config (Avid Media Composer 6.0.5)

Thanks a lot !

Best regard

Ben

Avid Media Composer 6.0.5 on share editing systeme (EditShare 7) 3 fix editing station and 1 laptop / Dell M6500 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 29 2015 12:47 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,208
    • Points 15,175
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Which current Laptop with Avid MediaComposer 6.0.5

Hi Ben.

You can technically put it on almost any laptop. The newer and more awesome, the better. Obviously not a Microsoft Surface or other wackjob touch-screen things.

But like any other version of Media Composer, v6.0.5 was created to exist within a specific ecosystem of versions - the OS, video card and device drivers, QuickTime and so on. Here's the readme file for it: (Link). As you'll see, you'll need to configure the new laptop into the ecosystem that was qualified for 6.0.5. So downgrading a few drivers and maybe the OS if it comes pre-installed with something beyond what the readme says.

I have seven Avids and only a few of them are on systems fully qualified. The rest are working perfectly fine - because regardless of the hardware, I have met the software version qualifications.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 1 2015 7:50 AM In reply to

• Benjamin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2012
    • Lille
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hi Mr Pixel Monkey,

Thanks a lot for your feed back. It's clear for me and we'll take a laptop Dell Precision M3800.

Best regard

Ben

Avid Media Composer 6.0.5 on share editing systeme (EditShare 7) 3 fix editing station and 1 laptop / Dell M6500 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 1 2015 6:52 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,208
    • Points 15,175
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Whatever you get, report back here with any issues. We'll help you through them.

Before you purchase, remember that Media Composer 6.0.5 requires Windows 7 professional. So if you buy anything brand new that comes with (and is calibrated for) Windows 8.1, then I suggest making sure you can have it downgraded by the reseller, by Dell, or by a professional.

Either that, or get whatever computer you want and then pay for the new Media COmposer subscription plan, which gets you passed a lot of the old v6.0.5 compatabilities.

Good luck!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:49 AM In reply to

• rdw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 26 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I am thinking of getting a refurb Dell Precision M3800 4k display with win7 512Gb SSD 16GB RAM, but I've read about some problems with the Media Composer interface display rendering so tiny that it's hard to use. Is this still a problem with the latest version of Media Composer? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the purchase and need to know if I would be running into trouble.

Thanks.

• Thu, Sep 22 2016 3:15 PM In reply to

• APM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 22 2016
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

4k display doesn't work. You have to lower the resolution to HD. I deaply regret my purchase of a dell precision 5510 for this problem. You should save the money to buy an external monitor.

• Thu, Sep 22 2016 3:53 PM In reply to

• rdw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 26 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Thanks for the reply. I decided to buy the M3800 without the 4k display. Bought an open box unit at about $850, Get delivery tomorrow. Hope this one will play well with Avid. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller