Latest post Fri, Mar 4 2016 3:05 PM by Marianna. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 4 2015 5:15 PM

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

slow subcap playback

Am having trouble with the subcap generator: some of my sequences stutter, require rendering in order to playback.

I am editing using AMA.  Sony XAVC HD codec (sony f5). Editing on a late 2013 i7 macbook pro with 16 GB ram.  Using avid media composer 7 (have not upgraded to 8 yet).

Seemingly randomly, sometimes I need to render a sequence with subcap generated subtitles in order to playback - and rendering time is very slow - about 3x real time.  

More logically, whenever I have a long sequence with a lot of subtitles (e.g. 20 min), then the subcap generated titles stutter, skip frames occasionally.

Some of my editor friends recommend transcoding these clips rather than working with AMA - but when I try this, the problem still seems to persist: I still need to render these longer sequences before I can play them back in realtime with out any problems.

Any advice?  How to be able to work with both the subcap generator and AMA without needing to stop for very long rendering.

thanks.

petr.

media composer 8.4.4.4for MAC running on operating system yosemite OS X 10.10.5 on a macbook pro 2.3 GHz intel core i7 with 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 4 2015 5:37 PM In reply to

Re: slow subcap playback

In my experience, anything slightly longform with more than a dozen SubCaps requires these to be rendered. However, rendering them when you are working with Avid-native media should be much faster than rendering AMA-linked non-native codecs.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 4 2015 6:51 PM In reply to

• Arnaud D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 15 2007
    • Montreal
    • Posts 19
    • Points 240

I am having the same issue. I would think since 8.2.

The SubCap effect used to work perfectly before without any rendering, but now it is impossible to have a real time playback even of DNxHD36 media with the effect on top of it. The number of subtitles that are in the sequence and the lenght of the sequence doesn't have any impact on performance. Nor does the playback quality setting (yellow, yellow/green or green).

Tested on a Mac Pro (2008) 8x2.8Ghz with 32GB of RAM, and a slightly newer Macbook pro 2.2Ghz i7 (early 2011).

Maybe my machines are too old for these new versions of the software, but it's strange as it worked perfectly before...

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core, 32 GB 800 MHz DDR2, BM Decklink HD-SDI, Avid MC 8.3.1, OSX 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 7 2015 4:37 PM In reply to

• Ninanina
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 15 2012
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Hi all,

we have the same trouble, with MC 8.1 on a quite powerful PC here. Everything was working fine on other projects (other computers too), version 7.2 6 months ago, and version 6.5 one year ago... Never needed to render anything and 2000 subcap subtitles at the same time...

Looks like this bug appeared with the version 8 avid version... Other people around me, in mac or PC environment, have the same issue these times with versions 8.3.

Here, the editor doesn't manage to edit without rendering (veeeeeery long renders), and that's not possible to work like this !!

Dear Avid programmers, if you can read us, are you informed of the bug ? Are you trying to fix it ? We are going to edit again in september, and we will need to downgrade the version if this is not fixed then...

Thanks,

A.

• Tue, Jul 7 2015 8:44 PM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,485

Yep, seeing the same problem here as well.  On a mac, on several qualified machines (iMac, Mac Pro) in exactly the same configuration that worked fine with v 6.5.x without rendering being necessary.  No effects on the footage (avid native media not AMA), nor adapters of any kind - IO via Mojo DX.  Fast storage.   Seeing this with 8.3.1.  The issues occur even on relatively short sequences.

Any chance of this issue being escalated?  This is something of a critical issue for many of us, and it is not always possible to downgrade.

Janusz

MC 6.5.3 / OS 10.7.5 Mac Pro Octo 2.8GHz 6M RAM + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 7 2015 8:54 PM In reply to

• Ninanina
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Inquiry goes on here : it seems that the subcap works fine when the editor doesn't exceed 2 lines of subtitles. But subcap  doesn't like at all very long subtitles that would cover all the screen, for example... (that's what the editor tried to do, she told me...).

I already noticed some troubles in Avid Mac Version 7.2, somes months ago, when the subtitles used 3 lines... and everything worked fine with one or two lines. Maybe this is the point. I'll tell you when I hear more from the editing room...

a

• Sat, Jul 18 2015 9:31 AM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,485

Checked this on the project I'm coillaborating on and all subtitles are of a normal length (<=2 lines, <40 characters per line).

Slow down occurs after 10 or so seconds of playback.

Seems as we are not the only ones - there is another thread here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/134338/764923.aspx#764923

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/134711.aspx

with the same symptoms (the poster, Sarah, state that she is using DNxHD 120 Avid native media - so nothing exotic...)

This really needs to be adressed as we are numerous in having the same problem.  Could a moderator escalate please, so that is indeed identified as a bug with 8.x and will hopefully be resolved soon in an upcoming patch??

Janusz

MC 6.5.3 / OS 10.7.5 Mac Pro Octo 2.8GHz 6M RAM + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Sat, Jul 18 2015 9:44 AM In reply to

• Pom'Zed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 20 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

We are also having the same problem on multiple projects.  Media DNxHD 185, OS 10.8.5, MC 8.3.1, Mojo DX, Mac Pro 5.1 with 24GB + several recent qualified iMacs. Stuttering playback and desynchronisation of subtitles after several seconds.  Worked fine in exactly the same configuration with MC 6.5.3 without any rendering necessary.

• Thu, Jul 23 2015 11:08 AM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,485

Bump...

• Thu, Jul 23 2015 1:53 PM In reply to

I am confused as to which versions of MC this is affecting.

Can all who have the problem please report in with your MC/OS versions.  Thanks!

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jul 23 2015 2:31 PM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,485

In my case MC 8.3.1 ,OS 10.8.5.

• Thu, Jul 23 2015 2:49 PM In reply to

• Ninanina
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

MC 8.3.1 , Windows 7 Pro in my case.

• Thu, Jul 23 2015 9:48 PM In reply to

• Pom'Zed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 20 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

We are having the problem with 8.3.x on 10.8.5.  No issues with the same project configuration and 6.5.x on 10.8.5 (subtitles play smoothly without render)

• Thu, Jul 23 2015 10:06 PM In reply to

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

yes i am having the same problem on 8.3.x as well on my mac, running on yosemite.....

p.

media composer 8.4.4.4for MAC running on operating system yosemite OS X 10.10.5 on a macbook pro 2.3 GHz intel core i7 with 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 14 2015 9:57 AM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,485

Any news on this Kevin? This is a major problem for those of us that use Subcap.

Janusz

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller