Latest post Tue, Nov 20 2018 9:45 AM by Leo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 29 2015 1:27 AM

• Tom Dziedzic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Falls Church VA USA
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,395

Copying and renaming a USER SETTING

I've searched for answers and tried various tips but none seem to work when I tried in MC8.3  Most tips are quite old.

How can I take one custom user setting, copy it, adjust it and then rename and save it?  Is that even possible in 8.3.  It is possible in MC5?

Thanks for any recent advice. 

Work: Media Composer 8.5.2 - HP Intel Zeon CPU-ES-2640 32 GB Ram Windows 7 Home: Media Composer 8.3.0 - iMac 27inch 3.4Ghz i7, OS 10.10.1 - 16 GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 29 2015 3:29 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Copying and renaming a USER SETTING

User settings between versions are sometimes incompatible so the best way to copy them is to make a new user and then import any settings you want from an existing user setting (it's on the hamburger menu at the top of the Project window when you've selected the Settings tab).  Any incompatibilities will be addressed during the import as opposed to just copying old user settings file and then being surprised when things don't behave as expected.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Nov 20 2018 9:05 AM In reply to

• Leo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 14 2011
    • Berlin
    • Posts 38
    • Points 360

I dont get what you mean. if I go to import settings in the hamburger menu, the "import settings" appear, not an option to import settings or am i not seeing something? 

although clicking on the user offers me the possibilty to import an existing external user, i cant import the settings of that one to a new profile. which would be nice.

is there any way to do this?

thanks a lot for the support!

2017 iMac i7 24GB RAM 8GB Radeon 580. OSX Mojave. 2011 MBP i7 16GB RAM AMD HD 6750M 1GB Video. OSX 10.11.5 Avid MC 8.8.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 9:41 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 528
    • Points 6,120
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

We do this sometimes, so students can take our settings and customize them. As HBrock says, you should only do this for the same version of MC.

Use finder to copy the settings then rename the settings folder AND the two files within it – user settings [.xml]and user profile [.ave] – making sure to leave the rest of the name unchanged, and with a space before “Settings”. Any other files [e.g. MC State] can be deleted.

HTH

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 9:45 AM In reply to

• Leo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 14 2011
    • Berlin
    • Posts 38
    • Points 360

great. worked like a charm. strange i tried this before. but apparently somehow wrong!

thanks nigel!

2017 iMac i7 24GB RAM 8GB Radeon 580. OSX Mojave. 2011 MBP i7 16GB RAM AMD HD 6750M 1GB Video. OSX 10.11.5 Avid MC 8.8.0 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller