Latest post Mon, Mar 23 2015 4:39 AM by lalittle. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:57 AM

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • USA
    • Posts 512
    • Points 7,080

Boris Red "RT" vs "non-RT" effects in the palette.

I just upgraded to Boris Rd 5.5 and I don't understand the usage specifics of the "RT" (real time) effects and the "non RT" ones.  For example, I can choose "Boris RED for Avid-Filter" or "Boris RED for Avid-RT Filter" from the effect palette.  If I launch the Red interface for one vs the other, do I get fewer capabilities, or does the RT vs non-RT just make it perform differently in the timeline, or ???

In what situations would I want to NOT select the RT version from the Avid effects palette?

I serched through the Boris documentation, but I can't find any specific information on this.

Thanks,

Larry

• Mon, Mar 23 2015 1:50 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,548
    • Points 59,440

Re: Boris Red "RT" vs "non-RT" effects in the palette.

Did you check to see if the RT filter gives you the same effects options in Boris? If it does then maybe the non-RT effects are for backward compatibility with pre 5.5 projects. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Mar 23 2015 4:36 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 512
    • Points 7,080

I haven't checked yet, but I'm not sure that they'd offer a special version of effects just so you could switch to an older version of Avid -- nothing else in the program works that way.  Even if that WAS the case, however, I'd think it would be called "compatibility" or "legacy" rather than just not including the "RT."

I'll post back when I find out more, but if anyone has any information on this, please let us know.

Thanks again,

Larry

• Mon, Mar 23 2015 4:39 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 512
    • Points 7,080

Actually, the older Boris effects in the Avid timeline (i.e. the ones that were created with AvidFX) are all "green dot" effects (i.e. RT effects), which implies that the "green dot" versions may already be backwards compatible.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller