Latest post Tue, Mar 17 2015 8:29 PM by swnp. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 3 2015 2:42 PM

• swnp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 3 2015
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

HELP! Audio Outputs

Hello all,

I am coming from FCP7 and have a question relating to online conforms. In FCP7 after a show has been edited and it's time to output my audio I go to the audio settings and change from stereo to dual mono. This alows for two seperate output options (1&2). I then put production audio, and vo on output 1 and have sfx and music on output two.

Once this is done I am able to do groupings of omfs and aiffs based on my audio (production, vo, sfx, & music)

Is it at all possible to do this in media composer. To be able to choose what piece of audio goes to output 1 or 2. I thought I found the solution in settings and audio multi-mix, but I'm not that's how. If anyone knows how please let me know as that would help a great deal.

Also is AAF the same as OMF just with both audio and video capabilities?

Thanks so much!

Scott

• Tue, Mar 3 2015 4:35 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,242
    • Points 15,695
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: HELP! Audio Outputs

Hi. Yep, super easy. Here's my workflow in PBS broadcast documentary. Go ahead and steal whatever info you need from it:

1. Edit a giant sequence. The whole time, I'm monitoring it as a simple stereo mix.

2. When done, duplicate the sequence. Audio Mixdown to 2-channel stereo (actually dual mono, tracks 1,2). Audio mixdown that to a mono channel (track 3 and also place it on track 4).

3. In Audio Mixer tool, in upper left, change the Stereo button to Direct, Surround Tracks in SMPTE order. Export and/or play to tape.

4. Dupe the original sequence again. This will be my split-audio version.

5. Rearrange audio as needed in the final output. Pretty much like you mentioned in your original post.

6. In Audio Mixer tool, in upper left, change the Stereo button to Direct, Surround Tracks in SMPTE order. Export and/or play to tape.

7. As a bonus, I screengrab the whole sequence and provide that image with everything I send, just so there's no question or confusion. I also physically rename each track in the timeline as such:

A1-Narration

A2-Interviews

A3-SFX 

A4-Music

...and so on.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Tue, Mar 3 2015 8:58 PM In reply to

• swnp
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest it reads a little confusing and I really only want to be able to send certain audio tracks to output 1 and certain audio tracks to output 2, but I'll edit something together and try to follow what you sent!

Scott

• Tue, Mar 3 2015 11:56 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,242
    • Points 15,695
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Yep. Best way to learn is to fail at it ten times, which is how I learned it ;)

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Wed, Mar 11 2015 7:27 PM In reply to

• swnp
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

• Wed, Mar 11 2015 9:17 PM In reply to

Edit your sequence.  Let's say you have the mix on 1&2 and M&E on tracks 3&4.

When you playout you want tracks 1&2 of the timeline to be on tracks 1&2 of your master tape.  Likewise for tracks 3&4.  Correct?

Simply open you audio ouput tool which you can get to either through the settings menu:

Main project window > settings > Audio project > output tab

Or I prefer to get to it by hitting Ctrl+1 to open the audio meters and clicking the "PH" button in the top right corner and choosing "Output Settings".  It's a little quicker for me.

You'll see a button at the top which will probably say "Stereo" and one next to it which says "Mix to 1- 2".

Click the "Stereo" button and you get other options.  The one you are after is "Direct" which will then let you choose where you want your tracks bussed to.  So you can tell it send track 1 to output 1, track 2 to output 2 etc.

As long as you're in Direct out mode your Avid output will follow what you have set in your Audio output settings.

HTH

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.9.0 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 11 2015 9:22 PM In reply to

Also AAF is like OMF but just better!  No 2GB file size limit.  All modern post houses should be able to accept this format.  Many audio mixers I know still refer to what they require as OMF when they actually mean AAF.  Unless you're running some super old version of whatever you mix on then AAF is preferred. 

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.9.0 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2015 8:29 PM In reply to

• swnp
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Thanks so much!

However I can't seem to be able to switch my audio form stereo to direct. Stereo is my only option. Can you please help me? Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller