Latest post Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:55 PM by luca.mg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 30 2015 10:45 PM

Background Queue is blank - but old transcode jobs still proceed in the background

Running Windows 8.1 with Avid MC 7.0.4.  Plenty of RAM for background transcoding (about 24 gb).  Got a bit of a mess and I'm hoping someone has encountered this.  Today I tried to transcode some DSLR media using the Background Transcoding feature.  It's great and I've never had an issue with it.  Let me repeat, I've never had an issue with Background Transcoding before today. 

But today, the Background Queue was full of old completed jobs, but not the current job I had just started.  Confused, I clicked the button in the top right hand corner of the background queue window and selected "clear inactive jobs".  Now there is nothing running in the window.  So I re-tried the transcode job again.  Still no status in the background queue window.  Then I hear my hard drives running and figured out that it was transcoding anyway but not showing me what it was up to.  After checking the media tool I saw ".01" and ".02" versions of these files unnessesarily filling up my drives.  Now, I can't seem to stop this transcoding job.  I would just like to cancel all of it and try again but I can't clear the job. 

Any ideas?  Is there a way to reset the "Background Queue" permanently so it quits old jobs?  Some sort of preference file I need to delete/rebuild?  I don't want any more media floating around in the media tool than is necessary.  I'd rather not reinstall Avid, but I'm almost ready to do that.

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 MSI GT73VR 6RE Titan SLI Intel i7 Laptop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM USB3 media storage BlackMagic Design UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

Jason Spencer, Director/DP/Editor digitallunchbox.com

• Wed, Oct 31 2018 7:54 PM In reply to

• SeeFost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 6 2014
    • Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Re: Background Queue is blank - but old transcode jobs still proceed in the background

Well, this post is more than a little old, but I'm having the same issue. v8.8.5. Avid is still transcoding away in the background but the queue is not updating. I'd like to cancel some of them. It worked fine all day but now it's not. It's happened before intermittently. Anyone out there come up with a solution to this one?
    Thanks!
    Chris

Avid MC 7.0.3 with Mojo DX running on Windows 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 1 2018 5:43 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,413
    • Points 63,430

Re: Background Queue is blank - but old transcode jobs still proceed in the background

You can see the queue in the internet browser other than into MC, that usually works when the built in queue doesn't. I don't remember how to do it with MC 8.x, but It was pretty easy, maybe a right click on the timeline button, maybe from the background services icon in the Windows Taskbar.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 5:03 PM In reply to

Wow!  Someone actually replied to this old thread.  Now if someone would have a look at my thread from two days ago Big Smile

I wound up reinstalling Media Composer, or moving up to the next version and it eventually went away.  It's possible I also called support about this, but it's been so long I don't remember. Surprisingly, I haven't had this problem in a long time.  It's certainly annoying, but if you let it finish transcoding you can usually come back later and do a relink on the transcode clips Avid generates (.new 01) and they magically appear.

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 MSI GT73VR 6RE Titan SLI Intel i7 Laptop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM USB3 media storage BlackMagic Design UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

Jason Spencer, Director/DP/Editor digitallunchbox.com

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:26 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,413
    • Points 63,430

Yep, still on! I thought the question was how to kill a background transcode not showing up in the queue. As for recovering transcoded files there's the media tool, or the .mdb file within the AvidMediaFiles\bg* folder.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:55 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,413
    • Points 63,430

MC 18.9 has this issue, when transcoding linked clips the background queue from the Tool menu is blank, if I open the queue in the browser via the Background services icon in the Windows taskbar there are some jobs, not all the ones actually launched, and the queue populates itself as it goes on transcoding, not that useful as a background activity monitoring tool... This is an almost fresh install: I uninstalled the previous version and manually deleted whatever left off in the ProgramFiles folder, Commnon Files, etc. Anyone else? TBC?

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller