Latest post Mon, Jan 26 2015 2:06 PM by Ragnar Egeland. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:17 AM

Underwater footage

I am working on an industrial underwater project were most of the shoots were done in greenish murky water. The video was recorded using an ROV and GoPro Camera. (1080/25/8bit)

Due to the water visibility and low light condition, the clips are not of the best quality. Everything is shades of green. I have manage to improve the clips a lot using the color correction tool in MC 8.3, but the drawback is noise and banding.

1.  Will trancoding the clips to DNxHD 365x help to avoid the banding.

2.  The clips need some noise reduction, but some sharpening areound the subsea object as well. I that possible? I want it to pop out a bit.

Ragnar Egeland

Dell Precision T7910 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630/2,4GHz 64 GB Memory. Windows 7 professional/sevice pack 1 Nvidia Quadro 4200 4GB 1 x 256GB 2.5-inch SSD840... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 22 2015 12:48 PM In reply to

Re: Underwater footage

Move to 10bit (x) and you may see less banding (the higher datarate won't help) but ultimatley how will the footage been viewed? unless you can retain 10bit to the display then the drop to 8 bit will bring back the banding.

Adding noise is actually one of the cures to help banding.

I'd avoid fighting the default green look. Just go with it..

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:24 PM In reply to

Thank you for your reply Pat

I have to do some color correction, because the red and blues is separating the subsea object from the background.

Quote: [unless you canretain 10 bit to the display then the drop to 8 bit will bring back the banding]
    Thank. Very helpful information.

My projects are mainly industrial related, and the deliveries is Mpeg4 files. I normally export the seaquense as a Qtime movie for final decoding in Sorensen Squeeze.

Ragnar

Dell Precision T7910 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630/2,4GHz 64 GB Memory. Windows 7 professional/sevice pack 1 Nvidia Quadro 4200 4GB 1 x 256GB 2.5-inch SSD840... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:37 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

Pat Horridge:
    unless you can retain 10bit to the display then the drop to 8 bit will bring back the banding.
    Not necessarily, Pat.  If the downsample dithers the values - most professional systems do - then you often won't see banding at all.  It would certainly be worth testing.

The real problem is that the red channel will be almost non-existent.  The blue may have a better range of tones.  To get a satisfactory looking image you will really need to selectively grade the image.  I would suggest the free version of Resolve would be your best bet.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:08 PM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Pat's suggestion with the Noise would be my suggestion too to cure the banding. But I've done such things in Aftereffects / Resolve. There you have Blending modes and Noise Plugins. It needs just a tiny bit to break the banding. I'm Not Shure about Noise/Grain PLugin Options in Avid. Is there something in BCC?

If you have other effects stacked/Nested before the CC the ordering of those could be of importance in Avid. I once had CC banding because it was nested within other effects. reordering CC and it went away.

Another factor could be your display. If you just see the banding in the GUI Viewer I would try render out a test. Maybe it's gone. You only should trust a good external Monitor.

Bitdepth: for your Source Footage and Deliverables you can stay 8 Bit but inbetween for any intermediate steps like CC and effects Work you should go 10Bit. So I would suggest setting Media Creation for Renders to 185X or ProResHQ if on MAC. And Bitdepth for Effects Calculation from "Auto" to "Always 16 Bit". Not shure it matters but could be.

I've done underwater grading for a 90min Documentary but in Resolve. And I realized (as mentioned before) its useless to try balance the image to neutral. First do Exposure/Contrasts alone. Then You can Improve the Image when you try to balance Black to neutral alone, then  optionally try to shift the highlights towards orange/red/magenta (depending if you have more of a blue/cyan or green wash) just a little bit to get cleaner highlights.

But keep experimenting, you also could try to push/pull the blackpoint/Whitepoint of th red curve in te curves Editor.

Another suggestion to clean noisee footage would be Neat Video. But then banding will be even more prominent and again I would add some grain/noise back to avoid banding (sounds strange but it works like that).

hope that helps a bit

• Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:48 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

haukez:
    I've done such things in Aftereffects / Resolve. There you have Blending modes and Noise Plugins.

Noise Reduction and Motion Blur Effects are not available in Resolve Lite, only the paid version.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 26 2015 2:06 PM In reply to

Thank you very much all off you for your advices.

Ragnar Egeland

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller