Latest post Sat, Feb 7 2015 4:51 PM by usatraveler. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 19 2015 12:43 PM

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2006
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

outputting issues

HI, I managed to cut a 26 minute long film via mainly AMA and some material that is transcoded to DNXHD 185. There is some XF300 and 5D in the timeline and couple of archive shots. I have 3 Video tracks, lots of subtitles and 10 audio tracks. I output via a video and audio mixdown then output as a same as source QT with both video and audio selected, (I checked). But for the first time ever the first output had black picture and the second no audio. The third output successfully output. Do you know what glitch might be coming into play.

Some of the footage is glitchy as I have been getting failure to link to AMA plugin messages when I use those bins periodically, but as yet it had never failed to output. Is my AVID being used beyond its comfort zone at that length?

cheers

sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 19 2015 12:54 PM In reply to

Re: outputting issues

If you're making mixdowns, and those mixdowns work fine within MC, your exports should also be fine.  Mixdowns are entirely Avid-native media, completely independent of the clips that comprise them.  What codec were the mixdowns, and what were you using to play back the exports?

I'd think about checking your timeline and/or export settings.  Were all video/audio tracks enabled and being monitored?  Did your export settings have any option to output only selected tracks?

Sometimes with AMA glitching, oddly enough, I find that a quit/restart often gets around those for me.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 7 2015 10:13 AM In reply to

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2006
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

Thanks, I periodically still get no picture when I have squeezed an AVID export, but it seems to be a glitch in Squeeze 8.5 as I can redo and its fine.

Im posting another issue today my mixdown and export to DNHD QT is 25% softer and less information than a 422 Pro Res QT of a graded film and I cant work out what causes the difference. I think as you said before it maybe my export settings on an AVID QT export as they should be comparable I thought or is Pro res so much better. Is there a canon of export settings to select somewhere?

cheers

sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 7 2015 4:51 PM In reply to

Which DNxHD and which ProRes?

Generally, there are 3-4 DNxHD settings for any given project, and also 4 ProRes settings.  The highest DNxHD matches up pretty well to ProResHQ, the 2nd-highest DNxHD to ProRes, and so forth.

DNxHD-36, for example, will look nowhere CLOSE to as good as ProResHQ or ProRes.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller