Latest post Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:20 AM by NicolasArgentina2015. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 17 2015 12:27 PM

GH4 1080 imports crash constantly

Hi guys, 

This is my first time in the forum. I have just bought a Panasonic GH4 and was trying to import some 1080 29.97 footage in MOV in AVID and it keeps crushing all the time. I have AVID 6.5.4.2 and a Macbook pro.

I have been 24h hours at my desk trying to solve it but can't find a way.

Funny thing is when I try to import similar MOV clips from my Canon T5i it imports just fine.

I tell you a bit of what I tried:

- I checked importing 29.97 and 25 clips (25fps worked a bit better but still crashes sometimes)

- I tried importing from the SD card and from the Hardrive, no difference.

- I tried the MOV and the MP4 files. It seemed the MOV caused more problem

- I tried importing DNxHD 45 , Apple pro res, and 1:1 MXF. Still crashes.

- I tried importing one file at a time. This seems better, but it still crashes on some files. Plus it will be so inconvinient to sit by the computer importing one file at a time, there must be another way.

I would be infinitly grateful if somebody can shed some light on this. I have researched on the internet, and was surprirsed to not find other people with this problem.

Thanks so much in advance,

Nicolas 

Avid MC 6.5.4.2 / Quicktime 10.3 / MacBook Pro / OSX 10.9.3 / Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8GB Ram 1600 Mhz DDR3 / Hardrive SSD 256GB / Camera: Panasonic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 17 2015 12:31 PM In reply to

Re: GH4 1080 imports crash constantly

Hi Nicolas, and welcome to the forum!

What happens if you try AMA-linking to the files?  I haven't used 6.5 in a while, but I think if you click on a bin to make it active, and then select File>Link to AMA File(s), then point to one of your files and see if it appears in the bin and can be loaded into the source monitor.

If so, you should then be able to either edit with it, or if it won't play without stuttering, transcode it to whatever resolution you like and then edit with it.

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 17 2015 1:11 PM In reply to

Yes - definitely try AMA.  Import is considered the "old" way to bring in files.  I like to AMA link, and then if they don't work well for editing, I just transcode to something else.

What kind of MOV - I guess these are H.264?  They should AMA - but probably won't work well for editing.  So, you can transcode, then edit with the ".new" clips.  I like to keep AMA and transcoded clips in separate bins, for easier management and relinking.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 17 2015 2:33 PM In reply to

Hi Camoscato and Usatraveler, thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. I am going crazy trying stuff over here.

I tried Linking the 23 clips to AMA and then transcoding to DNxHD 45 MFX (I also tried 100 MFX). 
    When I choose all 23 files to transcode, it happens the same as when I was importing, it might start working and after a bit it the counter on the transcoding freezes and the Avid crashes.

I decided to try importing again. I did the files one by one, and I manged to get imported 18 files. With a few crashes.

5 where giving me problems constantly.

I tried AMA and transcoding with the remanent 5 files, also, doing them one at a time. I got 2 more in.

Now I have 3 files that wont get either importer nor transcoded. It is curious that these 3 files are short (1 minute) slow motion clips (The GH4 has a slowmotion feature and records 96fps and then makes a video to 30 or 25fps). 

I thought maybe the slowmo had something to do with it. But I checked the 18 files that I managed to import, one by one, and 2 of them were also slomo, taken on the same day, with the same settings.

I can't really see a pattern here.

So the big questions at the moment are:

1- How can I import the 3 files that wont get it.

2- Why does AVID constantly crash when importing more than one of the GH4 files at a time. I really can't stay by the computer and import one by one, it takes ages.  

Can someone please give me a hand, don't really know what else to try.
    I can share the 3 slowmo clips, to see if you can import them.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Nico 

Avid MC 6.5.4.2 / Quicktime 10.3 / MacBook Pro / OSX 10.9.3 / Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8GB Ram 1600 Mhz DDR3 / Hardrive SSD 256GB / Camera: Panasonic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 17 2015 5:46 PM In reply to

Hi Nico,

It might help to know more about the system you're working on.  Which Mac OS? How much RAM? Where is your media stored? What format/frame rate is your project, and what format/frame rate is your footage?

If you edit your user profile, you can add this information so you don't have to type it all the time.  (Look at the bottom of this post for an example.)

regards,

Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 17 2015 6:17 PM In reply to

Hi Carl, 

Thanks for the tips, I will update my user profile now too.

Here is the info:

Avid Media Composer 6.5.4.2 / MacBook Pro / OSX 10.9.3 / Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8GB Ram 1600 Mhz DDR3 / Hardrive SSD 256GB

Camera: Panasonic GH4 The project is 1080p  29.97fps The footage is 1080  29.97fps  (The footage is on the SSD of the laptop)
         I had 3 types of clips         - MOV (h264, Linear PCM)         - MP4 (h264, AAC)         - MOV (slowmotion captured at 96fps, recorded at 29.97) I am using a Western digital 3TB hardrive to store the MFX of my projects. I am trying to import in DNxHD 45 MFX or 100 MFX. (also tryed Apple pro res, 1:1 MFX) So far the only difference I found between the GH4 clips (which are causing trouble) and the same .MOV clips from my Canon T5i is that GH4 uses Big-Endian and Canon Little Endian. Although I have no clue what that means or do. I got it from the file info. GH4: H.264, 1920 x 1080

Linear PCM, 16 bit big-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz  

• Mon, Jan 19 2015 3:20 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

NicolasArgentina2015:

Hi Carl, 

Thanks for the tips, I will update my user profile now too.

Here is the info:

Avid Media Composer 6.5.4.2 / MacBook Pro / OSX 10.9.3 / Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8GB Ram 1600 Mhz DDR3 / Hardrive SSD 256GB

Camera: Panasonic GH4 The project is 1080p  29.97fps The footage is 1080  29.97fps  (The footage is on the SSD of the laptop)
         I had 3 types of clips         - MOV (h264, Linear PCM)         - MP4 (h264, AAC)         - MOV (slowmotion captured at 96fps, recorded at 29.97) I am using a Western digital 3TB hardrive to store the MFX of my projects. I am trying to import in DNxHD 45 MFX or 100 MFX. (also tryed Apple pro res, 1:1 MFX) So far the only difference I found between the GH4 clips (which are causing trouble) and the same .MOV clips from my Canon T5i is that GH4 uses Big-Endian and Canon Little Endian. Although I have no clue what that means or do. I got it from the file info. GH4: H.264, 1920 x 1080

Linear PCM, 16 bit big-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz  

FYI its MXF. You need to ensure you install the correct Panasonic P2 plug in for that version of Avid. I believe there was an issue with spanned P2 clips (clips that run longer than a certain length are split into 2GB chunks). I think the resolution was an updated AMA plug in.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Jan 19 2015 9:16 PM In reply to

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the tip!

I had instaleld the Panasonic P2 pluggin, the version is 4.3, which I believe is the right one for my MC 6.5.4
    http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en394531

Editor Version P2 AMA Plugin Version
    Media Composer 8.2/7.0.4/6.5.4, NewsCutter 11.0.4/10.5.4 4.3

But that didn't help in the transcoding. I have linked to AMA without problems since the start. The problem comes when I transcode or import more than one file at a time.

When I try to transcode them, if I do more than one at a time it crashes AVID (which is annoying and time consuming)

Some of them won´t even transcode one I try one by one either.

It is weird because I have almost the same MOV H264 clips from a Canon T5i and they don´t give me any issue.

Today after 3 days I found a work around. I just use Streamclip and convert all the clips to DNxH 45mb MOV.

Then I import them and it does a ¨Fast import¨. That goes actually really fast. And so far it worked.

It is just a bit annoying to encode somewhere else, and I am not sure if the quality is suffering with this process.

I have read that a similar thing happens to peaple with Canon 5dmkIII. I am suspecting if AVID is incompatible with OS 10.9.3. That is what I got from this thread http://community.avid.com/forums/t/121276.aspx?PageIndex=3

• Tue, Jan 20 2015 3:25 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Just remember the lower data rate DNxHD resolutions are for proxy use only.

Did you check to see whether the clips that were failing were spanned clips - look in your AMA source folder and see if one clip is compriosed of multiple files...

Actually the GH4 doesn't record in P2 format so that shouldn't come into it. 

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Jan 20 2015 3:29 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Also type this into the console:

AMA_ListPlugins

And post your results back here..

John

• Tue, Jan 20 2015 9:50 AM In reply to

Thanks a lot John.

I checked the files and none is split in 2. Actually they are all rather short clips , 40 seconds maximum.

Here are my pluggins

AMA_ListPlugins

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AMA PLUG-IN NAME COMPANY NAME VERSION

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AVCHD MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.3.2.6205

AVCHD MVP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.3.2.6205

QuickTime Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.2.2.7150

MSP_MXF Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.9.2.7150

AS-02 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.1.1.7150

PanasonicP2 MVP_MSP Plug-In Panasonic. 4.3

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 4:35 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

There's an updated patch for your version 6.5.4.5 I'd try that before anything else.

I'm assuming these are .mov files from the GH4 in 1080P@29.97

I can't explain why it is failing at the AMA plugin for quicktime is installed with the application. Do you have another NLE that you can check the files in to ensure they aren't corrupt in some way?

If all else fails transcode them using MPEG streamclip again but this time do them at 120Mbs at least and your quality lose will be negligble. If you plan to do a lot of CC afterwards transcode to one of the 10bit codecs otherwise 8bit is fine as internally the GH4 records to 8bit..

John

• Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:20 AM In reply to

Hi John, 

Thanks for the help. You are right, the GH4 files are 1080p 29.97

I tried uploading the files to Premier and it managed without any problem. The files don´t seem to be corrupt, also I have converted them with MPEG stream clip to DNxH 120msbs (over 100 files now) and it does so without any problems either, it is actually a quite nice and fast workflow too.

For some reason Avid crashes:

- With GH4 files (but not with the similar .Mov h264 Canon T5 files)

- When importing/transcoding more than one file at a time (and in some cases, also when I do 1 by 1)

- When importing/transcoding the h264 file (from the camera) but NOT if I previously transcoded it to DNxH

Since I have some work to deliver with tight deadlines I think I ll skip updating with the patch for now. I had bad experiences in the past updating the system before a deadline and finding new colorful problems. But I ll try that later.

For now, the transocode with Streamclip seems like a good, fast workflow. If the quality lose is negligble, i ll stick to it for now I think.

Thanks so much to everyone for your patience and knowledge helping me out. This was my first time on the AVID forum and I must say I am very positively surprise for how helpful and supportive you all guys are.

Cheers!

Nico

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller