Latest post Wed, Jan 14 2015 5:12 PM by iedjie. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 14 2015 3:28 PM

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,740

MC 8.x Still necessarry to AMA link different formats in seperated project types?

Hi everybody,

we are working on a project with loads of different formats and frame rates, (interlaced/progressive/PAL NTSC). The output format will be 1080p25, most of the footage is 1080p25. Is it still necessarry to AMA link each format in a seperate project with according format settings? And if so, why?

I ask this because if I AMA link to, for example, 29.97 interlaced footage in a 1080p25 project, I perfectly get the motion adaptors once in the timeline and after promoting I can choose "adaptive deinterlace source" when choosing the "blended interpolation" setting. And all looks perfect to me.

mobo MSI P55-GD65, CPU Intel i5-750 @ 3.2 Ghz, memory G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D 2x4GB, Videocard Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, PSU OCZ 500MXSP, Harddisks; Crucial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 14 2015 3:41 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,950

Re: MC 8.x Still necessarry to AMA link different formats in seperated project types?

You can mix and match to your heart's content in any kind of project.  The issue arises if you want to transcode and relink.  Once you transcode to a non-native-compatible framerate, the new framerate is "baked in" and you cannot go back.  In that case, using different projects for different framerate-types still makes sense.

• Wed, Jan 14 2015 4:44 PM In reply to

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,740

Re: MC 8.x Still necessarry to AMA link different formats in seperated project types?

thank you for your quick answer! I still have some difficulty understanding this well. Do you mean that after transcoding our final sequence, (so we can export as QTref), we cannot for example make a last change to a transcoded clip with different frame rate? Like trimming beyond the handles for example.

And why would that work if these clips were AMA linked in a conformed project format? I just don't get it...

mobo MSI P55-GD65, CPU Intel i5-750 @ 3.2 Ghz, memory G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D 2x4GB, Videocard Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, PSU OCZ 500MXSP, Harddisks; Crucial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 14 2015 5:05 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,950

There are a number of scenarios and what-ifs dependending on where in the process you transcode -- whether you transcode to an online format or a proxy format, whether you transcode the entire clip or just the used portions plus handles, etc.

But the bottom line is, once you transcode a clip to a non-native-framerate-type, that becomes your new source.  The metadata tying it to the original clip is broken.  You cannot link back to the original clip.

If you are able to edit in AMA all the way and only need to transcode for the final output, it might not matter.  If you need to make changes, it might.

iedjie:

And why would that work if these clips were AMA linked in a conformed project format? I just don't get it...

If you transcode in the appropriate framerate project you retain the ability to relink to the source.

• Wed, Jan 14 2015 5:12 PM In reply to

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,740

Ok, I think I understand. It means that if I AMA link in seperate projects according to the framerate/format i KEEP this link when I open these bins in my 1080p25 project? That simple?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller