Latest post Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:42 PM by Pheral. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 12 2015 6:06 PM

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

AAF out to Premiere - A nightmare journey!

Hi guys, so im in the process of passing over material to another fellow editor whos editing on Premiere.

So AAF my timelines out of avid works as expected except the AMA linked clips.

Altho i used to send AAF out of avid to After Effects which relinks the files properly, Premiere CC gives me empty timelines.

any advice / ideas? 

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 12 2015 7:17 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,365
    • Points 16,840

Re: AAF out to Premiere - A nightmare journey!

Bottom line, it doesn't work.

You may have some luck exporting AAF to Resolve, then XML from Resolve to Premiere, but be prepared for effects, etc to get lost in translation. Resolve is also more limited than Avid or Premiere in the types of files it recognizes (at least the lite version is.)

You can go Avid -> After Effects -> Premiere, and be able to view your sequence, but you will lose all your edit points.

• Mon, Jan 12 2015 7:27 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

well this is a problem that i had back in 2008 when i was working with both softwares. 
    i left premiere since then... and i thought that... after 6 years... Theses issues were fixed. Guess i was wrong =/ 

tyvm for the answer, ill just export a QT file for the vids and let her have fun with her software :D 

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 12 2015 7:47 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

AMA appears to be broken when going from Avid v8.3 -> PPro CC 2014.2 via AAF

Leaves a gap in PPro where the clip is in Avid.

Adding a tape name doesn't help.

Tried consolidating the AMA clip - no dice for video (but audio did show up). Manual relink said 'incorrect format' or some such.

Tried transcoding the AMA clip (even though original was already DNX120) - BINGO this worked (and also the previously 'offline' consolidated video was online in that sequence in Premiere too)

Short answer - transcode AMA clips to a friendly codec and try again.

HTH

• Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:14 PM In reply to

Isn't the issue the Premiere end? Premiere doesn't understand Avid AMA links.

AMA linked AAF sequences do work with Resolve so it's not the AAF.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:28 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,365
    • Points 16,840

Pat Horridge:

Even more curious when you consider how well After Effects recognizes AMA linked AAF sequences.

• Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:42 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

smrpix:

Pat Horridge:

Even more curious when you consider how well After Effects recognizes AMA linked AAF sequences.

Adobe may well not consider that it's in its best interest to have sequences move seamlessly frrom Avid to Premiere.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller