Latest post Sun, Jan 4 2015 7:01 PM by S.Clements. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 4 2015 3:55 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Titling/Effects Workflow Problem

Hi, Guys.

I have a titling problem I'd like to run by you, to see if there's an easy fix.  Let's say someone labelled hundreds of VFX shots for a feature with the title tool and put all of the lables in the bottom left of the screen.  However, they would then like to put the timecode at the bottom, creating a space conflict.  Is there absolutely no way to globally shift all the different VFX labels up near the top of the screen?  Of course you can do this in other NLEs, but it seems impossible in Avid, without going through, one by one, and changing the position for all the clips.  BTW, I'm pretty confident I know the answer and this is ALMOST a rhetorical question that points to the limitiations of Avids effects workflows, but there's enough doubt for me to throw it out there.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sun, Jan 4 2015 4:05 PM In reply to

Re: Titling/Effects Workflow Problem

There's not a way to do it if they made the VFX labels with the title tool.

S.Clements:
    I know the answer and this is ALMOST a rhetorical question that points to the limitiations of Avids effects workflows, but there's enough doubt for me to throw it out there.

If they had done the VXF labels with the Timecode Burn-In effect, you could change the position of all of them at once.

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 4:25 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm trying to make that work.  I've created different VFX lables with the timecode generator effect's notes track.  But if you nest them and try to move them with a 3D warp, you just move the video underneath as well. How can you move all the different labels in the timecode generator effect at once?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 4 2015 4:47 PM In reply to

I apologize, I was thinking of the SubCap effect, which allows you to adjust paramaters for all the effects at once.  TC Generator doesn't.

The only way I can think to do it with TC Generator is to set up the first one how you want it to look, save it to a bin, then select all the clips you want to apply it to (lasso or Select Right/Left) and double click the saved TC Generator effect in the bin.  Depending on where the VFX labels are coming from (i.e. if they're the clip names or something else you can populate automatically from within the effect) this will either work like a charm or be just as big a pain as redoing them in the title tool.

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 5:03 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, that route is just as troublesome.  I really hope Avid modernizes its effects workflows as soon as possible.  It's stuff like this that drives me absolutely nuts.  

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 5:39 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,332
    • Points 16,370

To be fair, I don't believe any other NLE can make that particular set of adjustments automatically either.

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 5:43 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

smrpix:

To be fair, I don't believe any other NLE can make that particular set of adjustments automatically either.

Yes, they can.  You just nest and reposition.   FCP has been doing it since 1999.

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:14 PM In reply to

Do you run BCC?

If so why not make (and save to a bin without source) a BCC Effect (Shadowfor instance) on the first of your titles changing the position as you want it. Then select all the titles in your timeline and a double click on the saved effect to apply the move to all of them.

Probably a similar workflow could be designed and adapted for Boris Red 5.5 or Avid FX.

With the new Favourite bins function you could also use this "template" effect in future projects. 

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:22 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Good idea, Andrew.  I, personally don't run BCC and neither did the Avid on the production I was working on.

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:39 PM In reply to

You could try the same concept by modifying a title and try saving that without Source (used BCC for the last decade and cannot recall if this works with titles)

• Sun, Jan 4 2015 7:01 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

AndrewAction:

You could try the same concept by modifying a title and try saving that without Source (used BCC for the last decade and cannot recall if this works with titles)

Good idea, Andrew.  I tried that, but it did not work.  It wouldn't transfer the new positioning information to the original titles. Avid is working to change stuff like this, but I have no idea when they will deliver these improvements.  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller