Latest post Wed, Dec 31 2014 1:06 PM by Marianna. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 18 2014 8:28 PM

Problems with Avid and their reseller Videoguys

Essential elements of the new features added in MC7 (Back Ground Services) have never worked in my computer despite extensive support from Avid technicians to solve the problem. I have also tried to get help from this forum, but without result. For that reason I have been very hesitant to update my MC7 license to MC8.

Another reason I hesitated was the insolent price difference that exists/existed (?) if updated from Europe. However, when it turned up an offer via Avid's reseller Videoguys to buy the update to the regular US price, I decided to update, and since then there has been nothing but trouble.

It started with a lousy and incorrect installation instructions from the Videoguys with associated problems that was solved after contact with Marianna at Avid.

When MC8 was finally installed it turned out that the "Background Services" did not work in version MC8.2 either, nor the big news in the MC 8.2 "Background Rendering".

Because Avid, in their marketing of MC8, press hard on that this license includes technical support, I tried now to take advantage of this. However, I did not managed to find how to contact this support.

I sent a number of e-mail to Avid with the simple question:
    "How do I come in contact with Avid's Support via email?"
    without getting any helpful answers.

Finally, after a number of e-mails someone at Avid transformed my question into a service ticket! After that I received a response from Avid's Support Group with a clear and simple instructions on how to open a support-case.

By now I had, however, lost patience and finally decided to abandon the MC for another NLE product where the above functions have been implemented since long ago. I do not consider it reasonable to continue to buy MC updates with features that do not work and I also do not think that Avid will fix them since it seems that this problem only affected a few.

I then wrote to both Avid and Videoguys and asked how to return my license. From the Avid I got the answer that this must be done via Videoguys since I bought the license from them. From Videoguys, I got no answer at all.

I subsequently sent several mails to Videoguys with no response at all but when I re-write to Avid and questioned their judgment to make use of reseller who deal in this way came an email from Videoguys that promised that on the same day examining the means of restitution of a license.

The day passed and several other days also without any sign of life from the Videoguys. I wrote again to the Avid and complained about their choice of reseller and then it came a new email from Videoguys which blamed the delay on “lot to do” because of Black Friday.

Since then nothing has happened!!!

I am very disappointed in how Avid and Videoguys handle their customers (or at least me). The time it takes to write mail after mail, usually without any response at all or a response with empty promises is not worth the money and I have now given up all hope about these companies. They do not seem to work like serious companies who accept a returned product from an unsatisfied customer.

Window 7 64 bit, Intel i7 950,12GB RAM,AsusP6TD Deluxe, PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 1TB system disc, 2x2TB data disc, Media Composer 7.0.3 Mac Book Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 30 2014 7:13 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,231
    • Points 15,520
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Problems with Avid and their reseller Videoguys

This seems very unusual to me, as VideoGuys is normally known for exceptional customer service. I have spoken personally with a number of their staff on a bunch of issues, and all of them were resolved quickly. 

Do you think it is possible that your email address is constantly being dumped into their spam filter? Given all of our past experiences with them, it is highly unlikely that they are ignoring you. Even if there is an issue, they are usually great at letting you know.

Could you try recontacting them using a different email address? I would also consider contacting them on:

Twitter (@videoguys) 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/videoguys?ref=s

Report back with any further issues. We're here to help!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 30 2014 8:50 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

I have not only sent you emails about ths, I contacted my contacts inside Avid to try and help you as well.

They created a support ticket and tried to work with you to provide you dirext support on the issue. I believe both Ajay & Chris both tried helping you. 

Avid will not allow me to take back any products without their approval. That is how Avid works. 

send an email directly to me gary@videoguys.com and I'll try to figure out what we need to so to correct this. 

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Tue, Dec 30 2014 8:51 PM In reply to

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Times; panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;} p.ecxmsonormal, li.ecxmsonormal, div.ecxmsonormal {mso-style-name:ecxmsonormal; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Times; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Well, it might be possible that some of my mail has been sent to Videoguys spam filter, but from the action list below it is Videoguys who have to take the next step in my opinion. I have not received anything from Videoguys since 2 December either in my mailbox or in my junk box.

Action List

18 Nov: Sent mail to Videoguys requesting to return their product. NO ANSWER

20 Nov: Sent a new mail to Videoguys. NO ANSWER

25 Nov: Sent a new mail to Videoguys with the following answer:

I apologize.  I forwarded your email to someone else hoping that we could fix your problem.  The procedure is a little different than returning a boxed product.  I will get on this today.  Once I get the approval to return the serial number, I will issue a refund to your credit card.

28 Nov: Sent a new mail asking what happens. NO ANSWER

30 Nov: Sent a mail to Avid and complained about their reseller with the following answer:

You could try writing to them again or calling them, they have to at least answer you and explain what is happening. We can give them a new activation code for the product after the return, if they make a request to their avid representative or to us, but they have to make the request.

2 Dec: Sent a new mail to Videoguys with a copy of the response above from Avid with the following answer:

I haven't forgotten about you.  It has been a little hectic here because of the Thanksgiving holiday, Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I have contacted Avid requesting a replacement code so that I can give you a refund.  I will get back to them regarding this matter. Thank you for your patience.

Since then not a sign from Videoguys!

18 Dec: I wrote the post above to this forum to let other people now what can happen to you as a customer even if you think you are dealing with serious companies.

However, I don´t care about this any more. There is a limit for how much time you will spend to get 285$ back and my limit is reached, and my business relation with Videoguys and Avid is finished forever.

Window 7 64 bit, Intel i7 950,12GB RAM,AsusP6TD Deluxe, PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 1TB system disc, 2x2TB data disc, Media Composer 7.0.3 Mac Book Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 31 2014 1:42 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Christer Kyllergård:

Essential elements of the new features added in MC7 (Back Ground Services) have never worked in my computer despite extensive support from Avid technicians to solve the problem. I have also tried to get help from this forum, but without result. For that reason I have been very hesitant to update my MC7 license to MC8.

I can not comment on the issues you have had with MC 7 without knowing what they are but if you have qorked with support then chances are you have encountered some bugs that may be fixed in subsiquent releases like 7.0.3, 7.0.4 or 7.0.4.1 but may also not be fine tuned until MC 8.x.  I can comment on the fact that the forums are not a support vehicle for Avid so the help you get here is by those that donate their time to help and foster a sense of community.  

Christer Kyllergård:

Another reason I hesitated was the insolent price difference that exists/existed (?) if updated from Europe. However, when it turned up an offer via Avid's reseller Videoguys to buy the update to the regular US price, I decided to update, and since then there has been nothing but trouble.

The VAT tax and the currency conversions may not be perfect but they are done by Avid finance quarterly for a reason. You can always opt to buy elsewhere and the fees may or may not be less.

Christer Kyllergård:

It started with a lousy and incorrect installation instructions from the Videoguys with associated problems that was solved after contact with Marianna at Avid.

When MC8 was finally installed it turned out that the "Background Services" did not work in version MC8.2 either, nor the big news in the MC 8.2 "Background Rendering".

I have known Gary and his team at Videoguys.com for years and in NO instance have I ever found them to not take care of a customer if they are alerted to an issue.  They are a good company and one I would refer people to in a heartbeat.  it is possible your situation was a one off - I honestly cant remember what we discussed or how I helped but you got going and thats the most impportant thing.

Christer Kyllergård:

Because Avid, in their marketing of MC8, press hard on that this license includes technical support, I tried now to take advantage of this. However, I did not managed to find how to contact this support. 

I sent a number of e-mail to Avid with the simple question:
    "How do I come in contact with Avid's Support via email?"
    without getting any helpful answers.

How to contact support is right on the avid Web page under support  https://www.avid.com/US/Support/Contact/video-support.html   There are several options - phone, email or online.

Since you obviously had been in contact with me before - why didnt you reach out again for help.  I am always here.

Christer Kyllergård:

I then wrote to both Avid and Videoguys and asked how to return my license. From the Avid I got the answer that this must be done via Videoguys since I bought the license from them. From Videoguys, I got no answer at all.  I subsequently sent several mails to Videoguys with no response at all but when I re-write to Avid and questioned their judgment to make use of reseller who deal in this way came an email from Videoguys that promised that on the same day examining the means of restitution of a license.

The day passed and several other days also without any sign of life from the Videoguys. I wrote again to the Avid and complained about their choice of reseller and then it came a new email from Videoguys which blamed the delay on “lot to do” because of Black Friday.   Since then nothing has happened!!!

I am very disappointed in how Avid and Videoguys handle their customers (or at least me). The time it takes to write mail after mail, usually without any response at all or a response with empty promises is not worth the money and I have now given up all hope about these companies. They do not seem to work like serious companies who accept a returned product from an unsatisfied customer.

I dont know what transpired with the situation - all I can say is I am sorry that you are so upset that you felt the need to post.  I also dont know how a retun can be processed after a long period of time.  What I can do is:

1.  Look inot how to do a return. You woud need to email me this so I can take it to sales. No promises but I will try if you like

2.  Instead of returning, I would be happy to provide you free of charge a support/upgrade plan for the year on this license so you an try out MC 8.x and see all the improvements and new feaures.

Choice is yours.... I await your email response.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 2:13 AM In reply to

I'm sorry I cannot produce as fancy reply but I have not written many posts and have not learned how to do and now I think it is too late. I do not intend to write so many more. In order to keep this post as short as possible, I have shortened the text under my name. It is available in the above post.

I do not like to argue with you, but I'm sure you understand that it is not against you my displeasure turns.

Christer Kyllergård:

Essential elements of the new features added in MC7 (Back Ground Services) have never...

Marianna:

I can not comment on the issues you have had with MC 7 without knowing what they are but if you have qorked with support then chances are you have encountered some bugs that may be fixed in subsiquent releases like 7.0.3, 7.0.4 or 7.0.4.1 but may also not be fine tuned until MC 8.x.  I can comment on the fact that the forums are not a support vehicle for Avid so the help you get here is by those that donate their time to help and foster a sense of community.  

I have not complained about not receiving any help from the community with my problems with the Background Services. I just note that only a few have similar problems and that no one has any advice. This is perfectly OK.

When this attempt did not gave anything I turned to you with an email (8 March 2014) and you sent the matter to a colleague. Your colleague searched and tested the software (remotely) for a number of hours on several occasions, but without success. We waited for the 7.0.4 update to but it did not help. The troubleshooting was stretched over a fairly long time, and I had to do without these features.

Christer Kyllergård:

Another reason I hesitated was the insolent price difference that exists/existed (?) if updated...

Marianna:

The VAT tax and the currency conversions may not be perfect but they are done by Avid finance quarterly for a reason. You can always opt to buy elsewhere and the fees may or may not be less.

Yes I became aware of that via Videoguys email. That's one of the reason´s I decided to update.

Christer Kyllergård:

It started with a lousy and incorrect installation instructions from the Videoguys with...

Marianna:

I have known Gary and his team at Videoguys.com for years and in NO instance have I ever found them to not take care of a customer if they are alerted to an issue.  They are a good company and one I would refer people to in a heartbeat.  it is possible your situation was a one off - I honestly cant remember what we discussed or how I helped but you got going and thats the most impportant thing.

I want to emphasize that I have not pointed to any individual, but the fact remains that the instructions attached to the license was useless. This is what I received:

To redeem your support contract, you should:

Log into your MyAvid account.  Navigate to www.avid.com/activationcard.  Select Media Composer from the "Download Avid Software" page. Enter your Activation Code and click download.

On the next screen, you will see the support contract listed as "On Hold".  You will need to click "Validate System ID".  Enter the system ID in the field.  This should associate the system ID with your MyAvid Account. 

If there are issues with the system ID such as it being associated with another MyAvid account, you will need to contact Avid Customer Support

When I followed this nothing works. Again I turned back to you and I acquired the following reply from you with a link to installation instructions (10 November):

As far as workflow goes - VideoGuys.com sent the wrong instructions and actually call the code the wrong thing.  Had they sent the correct ones (what we send when we email  the code), you wouldn't have had nearly these problems.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/Redeeming-an-Activation-Code-for-Media-Composer-Software?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1080&q=redeeming&site=kbase&filter=0

However, in my opinion it is primarily Avid's responsibility to ensure that their dealers have the correct instructions. 

Christer Kyllergård:

Because Avid, in their marketing of MC8, press hard on that this license includes technical support...

Marianna:

How to contact support is right on the avid Web page under support  https://www.avid.com/US/Support/Contact/video-support.html   There are several options - phone, email or online.

Since you obviously had been in contact with me before - why didnt you reach out again for help.  I am always here.

I did (November 14). I explained in my email to you that I did not come anywhere via that link. Thereafter you sent me to a colleague (Elena Boca) who took over the problem. From her, I also got links that all ended with logins or codes that I did not have or not received.

Although English is not my mother-tongue, I was very surprised how difficult it was to get a clear answers to a simple question like "How do I contact the support department via email when I so need."  After a number of mails I was contacted by a person from Avid Customer Care (Christino Balmes) with following clear and detailed instruction:

You can create a Support Portal case in your Avid Master account. Once you logged in to your Avid Master account look for "My Support Center". Click on "Access the Support Center(Portal)". In the Avid's Support Center click on "Cases" tab. In the "Cases" page look for "Create New Case" button. In the "Cases" page you can view open and close cases. Once you click the button (Create New Case) select "Video" on the Case Record Type. Fill out the form and hit "Submit" in the end.

How this corresponds to the links given to me I don´t understand, but I don´t need to either.

Christer Kyllergård:

I then wrote to both Avid and Videoguys and asked how to return my license. From the Avid I ...

Marianna:

I dont know what transpired with the situation - all I can say is I am sorry that you are so upset that you felt the need to post.  I also dont know how a retun can be processed after a long period of time.  What I can do is:

1.  Look inot how to do a return. You woud need to email me this so I can take it to sales. No promises but I will try if you like

2.  Instead of returning, I would be happy to provide you free of charge a support/upgrade plan for the year on this license so you an try out MC 8.x and see all the improvements and new feaures..

I would like to inform you that I already November 17 (11 days after I bought license) sent an email to Avid that I wanted to return the license. I then got a definite answer back that this can only be done via the dealer. On November 18, I sent email to Videoguys and explained that I wanted to cancel the purchase and why. I also asked how I was going to do to return my license. I feel that I am not to blame for that subsequently dragged on.

As much as I would like to continue to be a customer of Avid because of you Marianna, there must be an end to this. The problems I had with the "Background Services" persisted in MC8 and the "new" feature "Background Rendering" do not work either. I cannot continue to pay for updates that do not work (at least not for me). This, along with all the other hassle makes me want to return the license.

Normal 0 21 false false false SV X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normal tabell"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 1:06 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Christer

Can you email me this situation in detail and I will see what I can do.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller