Latest post Thu, Sep 10 2015 10:56 AM by Gerhard. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 4 2014 4:11 PM

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,620

Implement keyboard shortcut to activate "change text" in bin

Currently, in order to change any parameter of a clip in a bin you must click it with the mouse to make it editable.  

I propose that a new keyboard shortcut be introduced that automatically highlights the text in the first column in a bin (or the most recently changed column, which would be better).  

This feature would allow users to log entire bins of footage without ever having to touch the mouse, which would make the software (and by extension the editor) more efficient.

Example of how it would be used:

I load a clip into the source monitor and JLK through the footage, adding markers and comments. This is all driven by the keyboard.

After I have added all markers to the clip I activate the "Find in Bin" command on my keyboard, which highlights the media in my bin.  

At this point I would like to rename the clip, add description/comment info, etc...  Currently, in order to do thatI must click the media with my mouse.  

The new keyboard shortcut would allow me to "Find in Bin", then highlight the media clip name text (or whatever the first editable column is) so I can begin editing the information associated with the clip (clip name, take number, comments, descriptions, etc...).  

When I'm finished I hit Return to lock in the data, down to select the next clip, and Return again to load into the source monitor.  Repeat until all media is logged, without ever touching the mouse.

Michael

• Thu, Dec 4 2014 7:32 PM In reply to

Re: Implement keyboard shortcut to activate "change text" in bin

Butcher:

... make the software (and by extension the editor) more efficient.

+1

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 5 2014 6:21 AM In reply to

Yes, please. :-)

+1

Media Composer 8.3, Avid FX 6, BCC 6, Baselight for Avid, Windows7 64-bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 12 2015 1:14 PM In reply to

• elstie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 12 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Please please let this be a thing. In addition to making everything involving bins more efficient, it would also allow a much easier route to automating very tedious tasks that involve moving bin info into other programs or areas of Avid.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I found this thread when googling for a way to do this. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) [3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB], Avid 8.5.3, Avid Artist DNxIO box [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 10 2015 10:56 AM In reply to

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 14 2011
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

+1

This is such a no brainer, why is it not already implemented??

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller