Latest post Fri, Nov 14 2014 7:59 AM by newyankee. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 11:33 AM

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 576
    • Points 7,660

Beware Videoguys.com Avid Support Sales

These "people" apparently have no background in either software engineering (wickedly bad web site coding and operation) nor internet commerce, especially when it comes to selling product that requires 3rd party fulfillment action.  I've now attempted to use them two times, and in both instances the ten - fifteen buck savings they offered were more than "deleted" by the hassles one has to go through to get delivery of the product.

1. They listed the latest Sorenson Squeeze Pro 10 update as a "free shipping" item, and when I ordered, I selected the "standard (free) shipping" option.  Waiting until way after the "anticipated delivery date" and having received no shipment, I contacted Videoguys only to be told that the purchase was a download only item, and that they had NOT sent me the download link nor activation code until I contacted then nearly a month after placing the order.
    2. They plasterd me with emails touting their $285 price for the 1-year Avid support contract.  However, if you purchase from Videoguys, after 24 - 36 hours they send you an email with links and instructions on how to actually register and activate your support contract with Avid.  The problem is that their instructions bear no relation to Avid's web site pages / operation, and so you cannot activate the support contract with Avid that Videoguys just sold you.

If you want to avail yourself of Avid's MC support contract, don't try to save the $14 by going through Videoguys, as you will waste way more than that value in time and fuss trying to get your support contract and activation added to  your Avid account and recognised  by Avid (BTW, something I have yet to accomplish despite  having been charged $285 for same several days ago.)

Videoguys - schlock house, totally about parting you and your money, no concern for customer satisfaction or support once they have your money. Buyer beware!

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 4:35 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Re: Beware Videoguys.com Avid Support Sales

wmcole,

I can only apologize for your bad experience.

We are in the process of launching a completely new website, based on much more modern ecommerce architecture. Which will include the ability to auto fulfill downlaodable software. Our current website rewuires manual processing by our custoerm service team before we can send out your codes. 

We've sold a ton of Avid upgrades adn software over the past year. Unfortunately for many of our custoemrs, the experience is less then ideal. We're working with Avid now to make sure the instructions we provide are clearer and easier to follow. 

We take our customers satisfaction very seriously. I apologize for our poor service. It is not how we do things here.

Gary Bettan
    President
    Videoguys.com

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 4:52 PM In reply to

I have to dissent here and give them the benefit of the doubt.  After personally dealing with them a number of times, I am completely satisfied with the customer service of Gary and the Videoguys team.  It's unfortunate they're having the difficulties you're having, but I'm confident they'll sort this out.  This is not typical of what I've seen.

Far different from the numerous shady bait-and-switch, hard-sell online operations out there with their associated horror stories, the Videoguys are real, knowledgeable, and they do make an honest effort to do the right thing.  They've been responsive and correct when I've had product questions before.

I would, and will, go to them again.  I hope your situation gets sorted out.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Wcole

Known you a long time so trust me that this is not the norm.  Gary Bettan and his Videoguys crew ate terrific.  If there is a situation, Gary will jump on it and work with myself and Aidas to sort.

Again this is not the norm and are a great group of folks who have the customers best interest at heart.

Marianna

p.s. if you need help - you know how to reach me :)

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:25 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 719
    • Points 10,965

I've ordered from VideoGuys many times, and I've found them to be an excellent operation.  I once had an issue with an avid activation code, and they very quickly solved the problem for me. I would not hesitate to do business with them in the future.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 3:43 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,377
    • Points 96,925

Another happy Videoguys customer here, and a happy builder of their DIY edit systems too.

I can do no better than quote Atomike:

Atomike:
    I would not hesitate to do business with them in the future.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 13 2014 4:44 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

I am also a very satisfied Videoguys customer for several years.  I am sorry that you are experiencing issues with them.  If you can, give them another chance - they have always been a pleasure to deal with.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Wcole

Love to help you out if need be...

Advise?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Nov 14 2014 12:52 AM In reply to

I bought my Symphony upgrade and several other Avid upgrades from Videoguys, plus a bunch of hardware.  Their support has always been excellent. 

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Nov 14 2014 2:23 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I have always found Videoguys to be excellent with answering pre-order queries, delivery of orders and any after sales service needed.

Also the advice in their DIY pages has been most helpful when I have built a new computer.

I hear that they are just now completing a complete overhaul of their website - maybe you caught them at a bad time....

Regards

Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Nov 14 2014 3:09 AM In reply to

I have used VG multiple times to supplement our usual route of purchasing. Nothing but good things from Gary, Phil and Barbara. We had one or two minor issues. Both times they were quick to respond. They even contacted Avid on my behalf to resolve a serial number issue even though it was not their fault.

My $.02

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 14 2014 7:59 AM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 209
    • Points 2,635

I was a long time fan of Videoguys, and appreciated their expertise in specing various hardware configurations. But sometimes folks make serious mistakes. I'll never return to VideoGuys after I purchased a "boxed" version of Adobe CS6. Apparently, they couldn't get any more "boxed" versions and substituted an electronic download without telling me. After the order didn't show up, I contacted them and found out about the substitution, and that they had registered it with Adobe in my name! Unfortunately, I didn't order it for me, but rather to include in a system being built for a customer. Given the enormous problems of changing the registration and the delays, it cost me much more than the original CS6 copy. Granted, Gary seems to be a good guy, but I no longer trust the folks he hires.

Asus P9x79Pro MB, Intel I7 3930K overclocked to 4GHz, Quadro FX3800, MC 8.3.1 /Symphony, Raid 0 / 3ware controller, Win 7 Pro 64, 32 Gig Ram, Matrox MX02... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller