Latest post Thu, May 11 2017 3:18 PM by FroggyPat. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 22 2014 5:41 AM

No media can be written to any mounted drive

Hi,

I know this error has been discussed earlier and I went through the Avid KB and other forums as well. The problem is Avid MC was working fine on my machine that has the permission for "Everyone" user as "Read Only". Now it doesn't work unless I change the permission to "Read & Write". Issue happens on OS X Mavericks. Has any update with Avid caused this issue?

• Wed, Oct 22 2014 10:14 AM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Re: No media can be written to any mounted drive

Are you using your internal system drive as a media drive? It's needed to be 'read & write' since Mavericks came out.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 22 2014 11:17 AM In reply to

so is it like during installation Avid MC changes the permission during installation and if we do a repair permissions, then the change gets reverted?

• Sat, Nov 1 2014 6:05 PM In reply to

• teo3vs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 27 2013
    • Italy
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

This is, I think, the most common error you can get on a mac.

When is opening media composer scans all the mounted drives and finds if are there disks where he can create the "Avid MediaFiles" folder in the root and operate there.

Usually is better to keep the OS and media composer on a disk and the footage on other disks.

But if you need it, you can ctrl-click your hard drive in finder and choose "get info" (or select the drive and press command+I) then at the bottom of the window theres a "condivision and permissions" (or something like that) tab.

You have to tell the computer that you (or everyone) can read and write there.

If I remember good you can also create manually the "Avid MediaFiles" (keep attention to spelling and caps letters) folder in the root of the disk and then set the read and write permissions only for it.

• Sat, Nov 1 2014 6:38 PM In reply to

Since Maverick the Mac OS removes the users permissions to create or writ to folders of the root of the boot drive. So MC can't access that location to create media.

You have to manually set the permissions. Doing a disk repair permissions will reset the permissions back to blocking access. It's a new Mac OS limitation.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, May 11 2017 3:18 PM In reply to

• FroggyPat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 29 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Hi.

Try to delete this "Managed AMA Media Folders.xml"  on Mac os:

Shared users/Avidmediacomposer/AMA Management/Managed AMA Media Folders.xml

Best regards.Wink

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller