Latest post Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:21 PM by fsm. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 9:16 AM

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

Dissolve Zero Frame after lift

Hi,

I try to get rid of the following issue. It damages a sequence and you'll get randomly errors. (Assertion failed a.s.o.).

Here is how it happens:

I have a clip with dissolves and I mark an area. (see picture). The area overlaps the dissolves.

After pressing lift the dissolves change to Zero Frame Dissolves.

When I take the sequence to another client machine I get strange behaviours and errors until I delete the 0-frame dissolves. (Playback and saving erros; or  export disrupts without any feedback)

This issue  appeared with Version MC 5.0 I guess. Maybe with MC4. But my feeling is that it got worse with version MC7.

I guess there is no resolition for this issue, is it?

Maybe the Avid developer read this and change the behaviour to get an 1 Frame blend instead of 0 Frames. Or maybe get totally rid of it. Or maybe there is an console command which helps??? 

It is painful to search for these Blends over and over again.

Bjoern

40 workstations HP and DIY, WIN 10 64bit MC 2018.12.3 Elements Shared Storage 720TB Arista 40GbE Backbone, 10 GBaseT Clients. Editshare shared storage... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 12:27 PM In reply to

Re: Dissolve Zero Frame after lift

MC has to change the length of the transition if you give it less frames to transition to/from. Looks to me like you're leaving a bit of footage that is part of the transition.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 8:05 PM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

Hi Job ter burg,

It is no question that mc has to change the length. The question is why it does not change it to 1 frame. From all opportunities (chnage it to 1frame, throw it away or size to fit) the 0 frames  is the worst. 

40 workstations HP and DIY, WIN 10 64bit MC 2018.12.3 Elements Shared Storage 720TB Arista 40GbE Backbone, 10 GBaseT Clients. Editshare shared storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 8:08 PM In reply to

I'm not sure I agree. Automatically sizing to fit would mean it could change something without me noticing. Throwing it away would be an option, but the current way it works at least shows me that I just sacrificed transitions that I may need to reconsider.

I'm not saying you're wrong about this, just that I'm not convinced that of all options this is necessarily the worst.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 8:18 PM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

The problem is that you get really annoying issues in further postproduction. In our postproduction network with 40 avids and some external ( home) editors this is really time consuming. 

When our editors edit a sequence they sometimes do not notice directly that they created a 0frame dissolve. Sometimes after multiple hours of editing the playback suddenly does not work anymore, or saving is impossible until you find this tiny dissolve. 

I prefer the 1frame solution. This could not be a big deal.i can not remember this issue with media composer versions less than 4. 

• Sat, Sep 13 2014 11:35 AM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,488
    • Points 17,595

You are leaving a 1 frame segment after the Mark Out point. Be sure to avoid this situation.

A tip to make a clean Mark Out and keep the existing transition is to snap to the cut using ctrl + alt + left clic on the edit point, then put a Mark Out.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Sat, Sep 13 2014 8:29 PM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

Hey guys,

I guess I have to put something right here to rescue my honour. Your answers do not get the point right and I feel you think I am a noob but I am not. I work with media composer since the old meridian systems. 

First of all I am not an editor. I am the head of postproduction. I administrate a network with 100 TB shared editing and more than 40 media composer at a time since 2009. I really know how to handle media composer.

I posted in hope that someone knows a trick, maybe a console command how to get rid of 0frame dissolves. 

Please believe me I really appreciate all of your  help. And I do not want to annoy you. My intention was that maybe one of the avid dev team or anyone with a direct connection to them (beta tester) would read this and escalates this issue. 

since a couple of years the quality of the source code of media composer drops dramatically. I am now at a point where I think about changing to other competitors. Administrating our company has become a p i t a. with version 7. 

I would like to hear more agreement from you Community Members about this and other bugs that maybe avid wakes up (I guess this will not happen) and change their thinking about bugfixing. There are so many smaller and bigger bugs that kill or slow down our workflow so much and these bugs stay version after version. 

The thing about the  zero frame dissolves is that I would not mark it as a bug if it would not lead to errors and crashes and loss of work over and over again. This is time and money as you all know. 

Once again, I appreciate your help but your answers mirror the avid philosophy: we tell you how to edit and you have do do it this way. 

Best regards

Bjoern 

• Sat, Sep 13 2014 9:58 PM In reply to

Sylvan is correct in this case. You're getting a 0 frame dissolve because you have left a 1 frame portion of "she works hard for the money.mp3" when you performed the edit. If you were to edit this cleanly, I would guess that you would not get a 0 frame dissolve at the head of your next clip. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Sep 14 2014 1:03 PM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

I guess what Buchel is saying is, why does the software allow you to put it in a situation that leads to  crashing?  This has happened to me in 5.5 lots of times resulting in a crash and error message.  I have been extra careful to avoid it happening as per your suggestion. Why is it possible to leave a zero frame dissolve behind, MC should remove the dissolve if it doesn't meet basic minimum duration.

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Sun, Sep 14 2014 3:03 PM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

Thank you carlgmi,

that is exactly what I meant. I thought no one understands. 

• Tue, Oct 7 2014 4:46 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,488
    • Points 17,595

I understand why it should not crash the system, or it should gives us an error message saying that you can't put a 0 frame dissolve because you don't have enough available media.

We get a warning message when performing a Quick Transition between an In and Out point. But we should also get a warning when we perform a single dissolve.

But Bjoern, you say you are an experienced MC user. (I also use Media Composer/Xpress Pro since the Meridien's hardware). I presume you understand that leaving a 1 frame edit is not a clean way to work.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Tue, Oct 7 2014 5:13 PM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

It should not leave a 1 frame edit. It should remove the dissolve or reduce it to 1 frame. And it isn't the point that there is not enough media left. There is enough.

More and more (with every version update) I have to do tricks and workarounds to get my work done. This is why  I am dissatisfied. The issues here ist only a small fraction of the whole. 

• Wed, Oct 8 2014 3:02 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

But - I never run into this. Because when I mark a clip to remove I simply highlight it with the segment tool hit T to mark the clip and Z to lift it (or X to cut it if that is my intention)

If your editors aren't trained enough to do that then you have bigger issues. I understand that you are not dealing with one editor here, but even inexperienced editors shouldn't make this error. Apart from anything else this would result in stray 1 frame edits in the timeline if there were no dissolves...

And there is no such thing as a 1 frame dissolve - that would be a cut.

You could argue there is no such thing as  a 0 frame dissolve ... and Avid should remove them. But if you have that same transition starting from the cut then you may want to preserve it as a straight fade.

buchel:

And it isn't the point that there is not enough media left. There is enough.

Technically there is enough media but you have "told" the editor to trim the previous clip's in point to 1 frame before the outpoint so the transition logic says the new transition cannot start before the in point. Surely you understand that?

Avid used to have a transition preservation option (turn it on or off) but do you really want to lose transition preservation all together? Wouldn't it be far easier to create a standard that your editors must stick to? 

Bottom line - mention to Avid that there is a bug when this situation arises that causes instability and get them to address that. 

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Oct 8 2014 2:16 PM In reply to

• fsm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 162
    • Points 1,990

i get the same error in MC 7.02, 7.04, 8.1 for Windows and Mac systems. there is always enough media, there is nothing trimmed, just a simple cut to get the error. in 8.1 i get asked "revert edit", klick yes, nothing happend, but now i can remove the dissolve fx by hand with remove effect.

MC 2018.5 & SYM / BM Monitor4K / Windows 10 prof. 64 bit / i7 3930k / Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 3:41 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Please explain your workflow to get this error in a bit more detail? Are you doing what the OP has in his timeline image - ie leaving a stray frame behind on a dissolve?

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller