Latest post Thu, Sep 4 2014 10:39 PM by Eric Hill. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 2 2014 8:25 PM

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

Locators on source clips do not transfer to group clips

SETUP:

Bin of CamA source clips with locators that mark individual takes (cameraman never stopped rolling for each line).

Second bin with CamB source clips - no locators on these.

Third bin with second system sound - no locators on these.

PROBLEM:

Create group clips of each take. Groups include CamA, CamB, second system sound.  None of the locators carry over from the CamA source cilp to the group clip.  

Is this a bug or a feature?  

If it's a bug I'd like to send it to Avid to get fixed. If it's a feature I'd like to make a feature request that locators carry over.

Thanks,

Michael

Media Composer 7.0.4

2014 iMac, 10.9.3, 3.4GHz i7, 32GB RAM

EditShare 15TB for media storage

• Tue, Sep 2 2014 9:56 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

Re: Locators on source clips do not transfer to group clips

I ran some tests and the locators do not carry over at all.  However, I discovered something interesting and useful - if you add a locator to V1 of a group clip and switch the video from CamA to CamB, the locators are still there.  So apparently the source locators do not copy over because group clip locators operate differently and applied to the entire group, not just one clip in the group.  This is both useful and infuriating.

I'll be posting a feature request to migrate locators from source clips to group clips, with the option to "Apply to all clips in the group" or "keep locators associated with original media", or something like that.

I also found that you if you gang a source clip to your timeline, toggle from record to source and add a locator, when you toggle back to the record side it deactivates gang.  I ended up writing a macro to batch transfer the locators from the source to the group cilp.

Michael

• Thu, Sep 4 2014 10:39 PM In reply to

• Eric Hill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 4 2011
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,600

Re: Locators on source clips do not transfer to group clips

Yes, this is annoying and I too wish there was an option that allows locators to persist in all iterations of a master clip.  The same thing happens when you Autosync too.

MC 8.4.0, OS X 10.9.5, mid-2010 MacPro, 2x2.66 GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AJA IO Express, Editshare (build 6.4.0.6-0) [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller