Latest post Thu, Aug 7 2014 2:49 PM by S.Clements. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 7 2014 12:31 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Tone not playing at correct level?

Hi,

I create -20db tone with the audio tool and then play it in the timeline.  On the audio tool meters, it's showing it playing about 6db quiter than that.  I open up the audio mixer and everything is set to 0.  Does anyone have any idea why the tone is playing more quietly than it is supposed to?  Is there some hidden volume modification that I could be missing?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 7 2014 12:41 PM In reply to

Re: Tone not playing at correct level?

You probably have it panned center. Pan it full left or right, it will be correct. This is how the physics of panning work. Center pan distributes the same energy across two outputs.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 7 2014 12:58 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Job ter Burg:

You probably have it panned center. Pan it full left or right, it will be correct. This is how the physics of panning work. Center pan distributes the same energy across two outputs.

Hey, Job.  Wow!  That was it!  Crazy!  I don't know why it doesn't play correctly in mono?! 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 7 2014 1:23 PM In reply to

There's nothing incorrect about it. If you pan from hard L to Center to hard R, you would not want the total volume to increase in center then decrease again. Again, it's how the physics of panning work in most every device.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 7 2014 2:21 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Job ter Burg:

There's nothing incorrect about it. If you pan from hard L to Center to hard R, you would not want the total volume to increase in center then decrease again. Again, it's how the physics of panning work in most every device.

So, if the -20db tone were played out of Avid, into a tape deck, without a pan to the left or right, the deck whould show the levels to be -20db?  Or would you have to pan left or right to get the -20db reading on the deck's meters as well?

• Thu, Aug 7 2014 2:44 PM In reply to

Totally depends on your output settings. Direct Out would ignore pan and indeed be correct. If you are set to stereo, WYSIWYG, so you would need to create a stereo -20 tone (2 channels panned hard L/R).

• Thu, Aug 7 2014 2:49 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Ah, great.  Thanks for clearing that up, Job. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller