Latest post Sun, Sep 24 2017 8:33 PM by David Yardley. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 31 2014 6:19 AM

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,440

Feature Request for Color Correction based on bin column

Now that Avid has added "segment mode" to the relational color corrector would it be possible for Avid to add the ability to color correct on a custom bin field, kinda like they have added options in the relink to custom fields?  What I would like is the ability to create a column in the bin, or use an existing comment column and enter alphanumeric data that I could use in the relational color corrector.  This would be especially helpful with dealing with file based material that no longer has the uniformity that tape captured media has when it comes to src clip name.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

• Thu, Jul 31 2014 6:38 AM In reply to

Re: Feature Request for Color Correction based on bin column

Good idea.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:00 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,445

You can add a tape name to file based media. But I will concur, choice is always a good thing.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 1 2014 12:12 PM In reply to

ck123:

You can add a tape name to file based media. 

Not if that media was AMA'd in, ot would have a Source File entry then, not a Tape entry, and you would not be able to add that if there already is a Source File entry present.

point is: relational CC is limited to just a few pieces of metadata. Should be easy to open it uo to any metadata in the bin.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 1 2014 12:32 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,445

You can add a tape name to AMA'd material. We do it all the time. Select your clips in the Bin, go to Clip menu, Modify... then select Set Source from the drop down menu in the dialog box. Add what ever you want for the tape name. Now the clips are associated with a tape name and you can apply CC to all of these related clips.

That said, I still agree with the original post. Having a choice when applying CC is a good thing. Maybe, you need to use the Tape Name field for a another purpose that would make it unwise to use for global CC.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 1 2014 1:23 PM In reply to

Ah, Ok, I thought it would not let you do that on AMA'd sources, I stand corrected.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 1 2014 1:30 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Ah, Ok, I thought it would not let you do that on AMA'd sources, I stand corrected.

There is/was an issue with AMA'd content having tape names. I think the source paths are lost when round tripping?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Aug 4 2014 11:02 PM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,440

Adding a tape name is too cubersome.  The simplicity of a column I can type into directly while viewing the clips in script view in a bin is what I'm looking for.  Also using the tape name would not work with tape based sources and as already mentioned adding a tape name to ama linked clips can have adverse effects down the line in online.  I know many people still add tape names to the ama'd clips for later relinking but of late I've had better luck with not adding tape names.  It's a hard habit to break as adding a tape name to ama'd clips was the thing to do in the earlier days of ama.  Now it's better to not mess with that and lose the source file path.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

• Sun, Sep 24 2017 8:33 PM In reply to

A custom column for relational CC is a great idea.

+1

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller