Latest post Mon, Jul 28 2014 5:50 PM by Brad Hawkins. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 4:59 PM

• Brad Hawkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2014
    • United States
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

With AMA is there any reason to transcode to MXF?

I'm using MC 8 on a small project that was shot on a Red Epic. I've transcoded the R3Ds to MXF via Davinci Resolve and confirmed that the roundtrip workflow is working correctly. However, I decided to make some color changes in Resolve and re-render my MXF transcodes. When I did that the media went offline and wont relink. I'm guessing this has to do with some kind of unique ID in the MXF files?

Next, I then tried the same workflow, but transcoding to DNxHD quicktimes instead of MXF files. I linked to the quicktimes via AMA (rather than import) and tested the roundtrip back to Resolve. Everything worked. I then updated the color in resolve and re-rended the quicktime DNxHD files, and the new version automatically showed up in MC.

So, my question is, is there any reason why I need to use MXF over MOV files now that AMA is available? Are there other issues I'm overlooking?

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 5:06 PM In reply to

Re: With AMA is there any reason to transcode to MXF?

My preference is to AMA the r3d files into MC and do the Transcode there. I then have control over all the metadata and can linkl back to the r3d files for online or pass the AAF to resolve for grading if I want.

If you do use Resolve and go to QT you need to watch for gamma shifts in the content which you won't get with MXF.

Also AMA linked content is still less stable than Avid managed media so you may have to relink sometime.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 5:16 PM In reply to

bradleyvance:
    is there any reason why I need to use MXF over MOV files

I would think just one: if you create mov. files you then have to AMA-link and consolidate those, thus requiring twice the amount of storage. If you don't consolidate, well, good luck. I don't trust AMA for any serious editing. Too much of a hog. System is much more fluid when using MXF media.

If you create re-colored dailies in Resolve, using the same settings, you should get a file that has the same name and the same metadata, so it should link or relink. If it doesn't, there probably was something different between the two passes in Resolve.

I'm also fairly sure that MXF allows for more metadata to come through.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 5:50 PM In reply to

• Brad Hawkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2014
    • United States
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Pat Horridge:

My preference is to AMA the r3d files into MC and do the Transcode there. I then have control over all the metadata and can linkl back to the r3d files for online or pass the AAF to resolve for grading if I want.

I thought about going that route, but my reasoning for doing the "Dailies" in resolve is to apply a simple "Filmic" look to the files before transcoding. In some cases that wouldn't be necessary, but for this client it is.

Job ter Burg:

If you create re-colored dailies in Resolve, using the same settings, you should get a file that has the same name and the same metadata, so it should link or relink. If it doesn't, there probably was something different between the two passes in Resolve.

That's what I thought too, so I did a test, I rendered out a single MXF file from Resolve, imported that into a new (empty) MC project. Then, back in Resolve, I adjusted the color and re-rendered and as soon as I got back to MC the file was offline. I tried to relink the media, but it wouldn't work. I could see the updated file in the Media Tool, and import it that way, but it was a new master clip.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller