Latest post Wed, Jul 16 2014 4:42 PM by Kevin Klimek. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 10:19 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

2 title clips stacked - move top one without moving the bottom?

Hi,

I don't understand what's going on here.  I have one title clip stacked on top of another (one on V1 and one on V2).   I put a resize effect on the top title clip, but when I resize, it moves both layers?!  I don't understand how this is happening, because the effect is only on the top title clip.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 10:26 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Re: 2 title clips stacked - move top one without moving the bottom?

Ah, I figured it out.  You have to step into the top title effect and apply the resize effect to the empty track beneath.  This has to do with Avid processing effects from the top down. I can see this being a major gotcha (one among thousands) for converts from other NLEs.  

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 11:15 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Nope.... I still don't get it.  Just when I thought I had beeen able to isolate the resize, I added another layer to the bottom and it was affected by the resize on the title clip above it.

Here's my situation.  I have 3 layers I would like to blend.

1.  A bottom Video layer on V1

2.  An animated (with resize filter) title on V2

3.  An animated (with resize filter) title on V3

In order to isolate the resize animations on the the title tracks, I stepped into the title effects and put resizes on the empty bottom track and created my animations.

However, when I added the video track to V1, it was resized according to the resize effect on V2?!

I don't understand what's going on.  How do you properly isolate all of your resize animations, so they only apply to what you intend them to?

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 11:51 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,894
    • Points 201,470
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

S.Clements:
    How do you properly isolate all of your resize animations, so they only apply to what you intend them to?

Use Avid FX or Boris Red!

Geeked

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 12:25 PM In reply to

Sounds like you are tryng to create picture in pictures? Hve you tried using the PIP effect to the clisp on V2 & V3?

They can be resized and only effect whats on that track.

Or is there more to this than I've read?

Oh and for reasons I've never understood the PIP effect is i blend (go figure...)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 12:35 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Pat Horridge:

Sounds like you are tryng to create picture in pictures? Hve you tried using the PIP effect to the clisp on V2 & V3?

They can be resized and only effect whats on that track.

Or is there more to this than I've read?

Oh and for reasons I've never understood the PIP effect is i blend (go figure...)

The title on V3 is just white and is scaling up.  The title on V2 is scaled up and animating right to left and has its alpha replaced with video.  The video on V1 is not animated, but has a color correction to make it black and white.  None of it is what I'd call 'Picture In Picture'.  It's just supposed to be 2 animated titles over video.  I read on one of the forums someone suggesting using Picture in Picture, but that didn't help create the effect I am looking for.  I know how to do this easily in other NLEs, but I can't seem to isolate animations the way I'd like in Avid.

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 12:42 PM In reply to

Has the clip on V3 got an alpha?

Sounds like the clip on V2 has got an alpha so shows the V1 content through that?

V2 & V3 are graphic imports or AMA linked?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

-

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 12:49 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Pat Horridge:

Has the clip on V3 got an alpha?

Sounds like the clip on V2 has got an alpha so shows the V1 content through that?

V2 & V3 are graphic imports or AMA linked?

V3 has an alpha, because it's a title made in the title tool

V2 is a title tool title as well, but I replaced the white with video to make the title's alpah appear to "house" video.   The video on V1 does show through, but I don't want any resizes to affect the bottom V1 layer.  If it were just a black background, it wouldn't be a problem.

V1 is just video

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 12:57 PM In reply to

If you add a title to V2 the effect editor for it has scaling and position as parameters and these can be keyframed. No need to add an additional re-size.

I've just added a V1 track with CC to monochrome. A title on v2 and scaled and keyframed moves and a second title on V3 and scaled that all working as expected no re-size effect needed.

-

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 1:05 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

Pat Horridge:

If you add a title to V2 the effect editor for it has scaling and position as parameters and these can be keyframed. No need to add an additional re-size.

But the title tool only scales up to 400....but, I guess I can make the text bigger to begin with.  I guess these problems I'm facing are unique to the title tool and wouldn't exist with imported graphics with alphas?

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 1:09 PM In reply to

I originally tested it with imported graphics and that worked the same. But even then you have limited scaling control so you want/need the graphics to be a reasonable size to start with.

I often prefer to start bigger than then scale down.

-

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 1:10 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

drbgaijin:

S.Clements:
    How do you properly isolate all of your resize animations, so they only apply to what you intend them to?

Use Avid FX or Boris Red!

Geeked

Regards

Douglas

I know, Douglas, but I'm really trying to get away from 3rd party stuff.  I really don't like that Avid can't finish to a simple standard on its own. 

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 1:22 PM In reply to

I prefer not to have to use 3rd party solutions especially in the timeline as a recent ongoing issue one user in another forum is having with an old project with BCC effects and no support for them now with current BCC plugins. Real head ache.

But MC can do a lot if you understand how it works and work within it's limitations (limitations that for any many editors are well outside their needs)

With this topic having a bigger title and using the scaling and keyframing of the effect properties produces what you need doesn't it? I know the ability to scle more than 400 would have made it easier but for many that is a very big blow up!

-

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 1:30 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,610

I just wish nesting really did isolate layers from one another.  I can't wrapp my head around Avid deals with layers.  

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 1:35 PM In reply to

I think that's the key Avid doesn't nest as such. The layers build up and it's like looking down through them. So generally what you do to one will effect what you "see" through it.

It's not the most flexible approach to complex effects for sure but the big advantage is you can easily see what's happen and deconstruct another editors build to unpick and re-work.

I've used more elaberate nested solutions in other tools and it can be very hard to understand whats happening in each part of the nest.

-

Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller