Latest post Wed, Jul 9 2014 11:11 PM by BarkinMadd. 64 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 18 2014 9:03 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,319
    • Points 53,385

Re: Douglas

We go back to the Liquid forum days, our associate Douglas is always able to trim the chaffe and provide the most straightforward instructions, how to's, and when the need arose, an efficient workaround for getting things done.

I for one, shall follow his new endevours closely and look ahead to more pearls of wisdom.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Jun 18 2014 9:06 PM In reply to

Good luck Douglas, this is a wish from a newest Moderator. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in this community.

CV

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

AVID USERS ECUADOR                                  

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 12:43 AM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Douglas won't be gone he just won't be a Mod. Remember, even before he was a Mod. he was just as helpful, maybe more :)

He will still be doing training for MC, Avid FX/Boris Red, TAW5, etc. etc. :)

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2014 12:53 AM In reply to

I just want to say that Douglas' contributions are well above and beyond the duties of a moderator, especially considering it is a volunteer position.

You will be missed good sir.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2014 4:15 AM In reply to

AMEN to THAT!!!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:06 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Pat Horridge:

There are many reasons people offer to become moderators and with that come some advantages... ...But with that comes disadvantages. We can't speak on these forums as freely and other members... ...for long term forum members who are also moderators it can become frustrating aaround blurred bounderies.

I have no idea what factors contributed to Douglas's descision but that's a matter for him and him alone. We don't own him.

It would also be completely unfair and improper to "think" you know the reasons why and attach meaning to it.

And I guess I'd add this isn't a publicly owned site. it's Avids site and they choose to manage it how they see best. It's not ideal and it's not always seen from the outside as the best approach but it's far far better then manmy others.

The above is of course just my views and not those as a "moderator" here. But suffice to say in many other forums I'd be given a slap on the wrist for a post like this, where as here it's much more tolerant. Within limits :-)

My best wishes to Douglas of course and my admiration for all his contributions over the many years. For whatever reasons he's not here I hope he's busy and happy.

What Pat said. Not being a moderator I can freely speak over the forums, within boundaries, and through the years I've been able to get off my chest everything I wanted to, this is why I'm still with Avid perhaps, even if there are many many things I never liked about the company's policies in the past, and unexpectedly more than ever before in recent times too, maybe Douglas kept for Himself a lot of unsaid, up to the point that He over reacted, but if a pope can quit the god of the tutorials can resign as a moderator as well. I won't miss Douglas as I will keep in touch with Him, I'm not interested in the colleague, nor in the hammer He is using, I'll keep in touch with the man, a very nice chap, it's been a pleasure to know Him and I do not see why we couldn't or shouldn't keep being penpals. Avid is going to miss a moderate moderator, I think of the "aurea mediocritas", in other words being balanced and sage, and the forums will miss a great contributor.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:54 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,153
    • Points 13,890

Thanks Douglas,

Being one of these low-profile, non-profit hobbyist editors that were "pulled up" by subtle marketing techniques from Pinnacle/Premiere 1.x to Liquid to MC, I must confess that the latter transition would never have been completed successfully without your tutorials and forum assistance. Not sure yet what to do with the new MC 8 subscription model (looks like I'm in the category that will benefit the least from the changes), so I'll keep reading your email newsletters very carefully Yes

Thanks again

MC 2018.9 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (10.11.2.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz - 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2014 8:42 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Like BenoitM I was 'lured' (happily I might add) into moving from the death thoes of Liquid to MC (4.5), the alternative being ... Edius.  MC would have been a nightmare without the patient, polite and fast help of everyone on these forums and Douglas's highly focused tutorials.  I'm now/still with MC6 - moving up to a later version isn't an option for me (also as a non-profit hobbyist), although there are features in the later versions that I would like and use.  Thanks to the abilities of MC, I have been able to craft movies that have won numerous awards on the 'amateur' circuit ( in the UK and Europe ), so I won't be switching horses, although a simple, basic editor would often do the job I want perfectly well.

As I said, Douglas has been a great help in getting me up and running in the ways of MC, so Douglas - thank you! Good luck - and I'm sure you'll do well with your new 'hammer'! 

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2014 10:10 AM In reply to

drbgaijin:

I've never spoken to Douglas, but I sure watched a lot of his tutorials while learning Avid.  Thanks for all your hard work, it was much appreciated and played a strong role in my decision to dive headfirst into Media Composer.  

It's sad but not that surprising that he was let down by MC8 and has decided to try another hammer.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 11:58 AM In reply to

I'll miss Douglas on these forums too.  Like others, I've benefited greatly from his tutorials, especially during my transition from Liquid.  That being said, I'm very pleased with my current Avid system, and would need some very compelling reasons to switch. All the tools need to work well together. None of my tools are the latest and greatest. But they work well together.

MC is more than a hammer for me.  It's part of an integrated (and affordable) system of acquistion and production that took quite an investment of time and effort to piece together. It would be a lot easier for me to screw it up than to make it better by switching the NLE.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:21 PM In reply to

Douglas thanks for your invaluable contributions to the forums over the years and I am looking forward to your continuing presence and support for these forums.  Good luck with every path (hammer) you choose to follow. Andrew

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 9:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thank you, Marianna, for that really nice send-off

Thank you all you others for those surprising comments.
    I had no idea how much my tutorials were/are liked.

There must be a lot of mere mortals around just like me  Geeked

The past years with these Forums has been a most enjoyable experience for me.

I am not leaving you completely, though I will be focussing on other editing solutions.

Once again Thank you all for everything that you have given me here on the Avid Video Community Forums

Yes Yes Yes Yes

Regards

Douglas

(Exit stage right)

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 9:44 PM In reply to

Crowd stands and applauds.

Shouts for an encore.

...?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2014 11:11 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Yes 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:01 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Job ter Burg:

Yes 

Yes 

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

Page 3 of 5 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller