Latest post Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:57 PM by David Yardley. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 10 2014 2:18 PM

best res? Apple pro res or DNxHD 220x

Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) and Avid DNxHD 220x is offered me on new project, any opinions on which gives the best workflow on MC 7, thinking harddisc space and Avid performance? And is there any difference in end quality ?

FEJØ

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Jun 10 2014 2:22 PM In reply to

Re: best res? Apple pro res or DNxHD 220x

They are very similar codecs. The avid DNx codecs are fixed datarate so always use a predictable amount of space per minute. ProRes is variable so you may save space on some content.

However Avid is designed to work with DNxHD so you should get better performance from DNxHD than ProRes but I don't imagine it's a massive difference.

Really depends on what the source is and ultimatley what you need to deliver and archive.

I'm not keen on ProRes because Apple restrict deployment of the codec.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 10 2014 2:42 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,750

If your on a PC, I would recommend using DNxHD.

I have encountered a couple of issues with ProRes files that are specifically PC related. First, while you can AMA/Import the footage okay and edit okay; you can't export at all. You have to transcode to DNxHD on export. Second, AMA/Importing ProRes at matched frame rate works great. But, if you need to change the framerate of footage, during import, you have to transcode to DNxHD. For example, you have some 60p footage you want to ingest at 24p for slo-mo. Turn on the IgnoreQTRate option and attempt to import the footage. Avid, depending on version #, will either error out or force a transcode to DNxHD for the footage.

Neither of those issues exist in a Mac environment. They are both artificial limitations created by Apple.

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:14 PM In reply to

Pat & CK, you guys are wonderfull. Thanks for your time.

Henrik

FEJØ

• Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:57 PM In reply to

ck123:
    You have to transcode to DNxHD on export. Second, AMA/Importing ProRes at matched frame rate works great. But, if you need to change the framerate of footage, during import, you have to transcode to DNxHD.

-And these processes will truncate the media to 8 bit.

Another reason (Yeah, I know you are already convinced!)

My old MacPro 1.1 baulks at Prores but plays DNxHD media fine.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller