Latest post Sun, Oct 19 2014 5:52 AM by velocity_b. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 10 2014 12:19 AM

Avid Media Composer Feature Request: moncondel persisted

Hi,

In MC7, a function to slip the timing of the Composer window to sync up with an external monitor was introduced.  It's fantastic - I used it to offset by 4 frames and now the timing is exactly the same (until then, the Composer window was always ahead of the line monitor which meant it pre-empted every cut - both distracting and puts one's rhythm out of whack).

The Console command (for those who are interested) is: moncondel #

where # equals the number of frames you need to offset the composer window to match your output. (I think moncondel stands for 'monitor control delay').  There's also one in miliseconds for those of you who need to be even more accurate ;-)  moncondelaymsec #

The only problem with this feature is that it is not permanent - I have to type this in at the beginning of each Avid MC session, hence this feature request.  It’s only a little one: Can this feature be made to be permanent? (or ‘persisted’ in Console terms).

Thanks very much.

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:22 AM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 901
    • Points 10,500

Re: Avid Media Composer Feature Request: moncondel persisted

Oh really? I didn't know about that console command, thanks for sharing it! I have to try it out.

Is there any other new console command I should know (except moncon off, fsp locked, tearingfix, ignoreqtrate, SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate)

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Tue, Jun 10 2014 9:31 AM In reply to

I noticed this one, but I've not tried it yet - I assume it stops h264 QTs from being too dark...

ChangeGammaOnExport true/false -- This will apply a Gamma change when exporting to H.264, Photo JPEG and MPEG-4 codecs in QuickTime

Here's another.

DesktopSampleOffset # -- Set the sample offset to sync desktop audio and video (in samples, not frames)

I've never needed to change this one - lucky I guess.

Hope that;s of some use.   There's a list available by typing help into the console, but most are boffin material - I stay away from those so I don't break anything!   :)

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Tue, Jun 10 2014 10:00 AM In reply to

• Rubén Abruña
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 16 2011
    • Zürich, Switzerland
    • Posts 33
    • Points 375
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Paul Sampson once published a 14-page list of console commands with a description of what each one does. It is from ca. 2007. Do you know if an updated one is available. I found it very useful. Thanks again to Paul for it.

Rubén 

MBP 15 in. , Early 2011 Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i& Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB OS 10.9.5 MC8.3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 10 2014 11:14 AM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 901
    • Points 10,500

At the first moment it felt like christmas to adjust the delay between composer window and client monitor but now the playback doesn't feel so accurate anymore, the playhead is jumping sometimes, especially if you play reverse<>forward. Hmm, I think I have to edit a day to find out if I could live with that or with the delay.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 1:12 AM In reply to

Hi Bloersch,

You are right about that.  For me it slips about the 4 frames that I have offset it by which, as you say, can be annoying during the fine cut.  I've been in the rough assembly stage so hadn't noticed it as much, but now that I'm heading into the fine cut, I'm begnning to notice it, too - particularly with fast moving action.  I guess this means that me 'small feature request' will need to be upgraded to a significant one!

So, Avid, could you improve this feature to not only be 'persisted' but to favour the Monitor output over the Compser window output for accuracy and fluidity of 'scrub', play (both forward and in reverse) control so that where ever I stop or play backwards is exactly the frame that is seen on the output monitor, not the composer ddisplay which the editor isn't looking at during this common workflow.

Thanks heaps!

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 2:49 AM In reply to

Hi Boersch,

If you tap 'K'  (of JKL - SPACE key seems to work too) and then press backwards (or forwards), the Avid notices which frame you were on more accurately.  It's only ever so slightly longer response time than just hitting Play backwards (or forwards) whilst still playing forwards (or backwards).  I've already begun a new keybord 'habbit' so I don't have to think about it anymore  :)

Later,

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 3:14 AM In reply to

This is more complex than it seems. Avids external IO hardware was designed and built to follow the output of MC exactly. However other 3rd Part I/Os don't and the amount of delay they add varies. So what you ask is difficult.

Your basically asking mC to have the ability to pre buffer that variable delay amount (but keep sending it out to the dsiplay) but atcually be working that variable amount of frames earlier.

he curent console command basicaly just delays the Avid windows display to be delayed by the same offset as your hardware. What you ask and need is actually an advance in MC output to compensate!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 11 2014 3:38 AM In reply to

I see what you mean.  I guess that can be a selling point for Avid IO hardware.  I managed to make it work for me anyway (as mentioned above) so I can live with it.  I'm just pleased that the function actually exists, but it would be nice not to type it in every session.

So in that case, just the initial request of the 'persist' option so I can set it and forget it would be nice.   I can't imagine that would be too much trouble for Avid?  'tearingfix' is a 'persisted' toggle (for those who don't have the external IO) so I guess it's possible.  Maybe both not just 'moncondel' but 'moncon' off/on could both be persisted functions?

Thanks for the info regarding third party hardware.

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 9:57 AM In reply to

• edsediting
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Hi all

Could someone explain to me the difference between moncondel command and the desktop play delay settings?

I agree with your frustrations that there are a lot of options in command that simply don't need to be an option - screen tearing in particular should just be standard. At the moment it is as if Avid would expect their average customer to want screen tearing in their playback as a default, even though they know how to fix it and make us type in a bit of code every time we want it...

Cheers!

ed

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 12:14 PM In reply to

haha, know what you mean about typing in things that should just be automatically turned on if no IO hardware/monitor is attached.  Hate to bring up FCP and Premier here, but theirs don't have tearing issues at all (they just have a whole heap of other problems I don't wanna waste time going into - there are so many!!)

Desktop Play Delay throws just the audio sync out i.e. it just delays the audio by the number of frames selected. I think it's there so that if your computer screens take too long to play any video and is always later than sound, it just skips the first few frames as it starts playing so that it would be back in sync. On some systems I've used in the past, I've wanted to offset it a negative number e.g. 2 frames, because my sound was already late!  Maybe Avid could add negative numbers to this setting in a future release?

moncondel literally just delays the compser window (or desktop) by the number of frames you type in but doesn't adjust audio sync in any way.

So, if your IO is perfect sync, Desktop Play Delay would not help in getting the composer window to sync with your line monitor - what ever you offset by would affect both displays.

Hopefully I made some sort of sense with all that  :)

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Wed, Jun 11 2014 1:01 PM In reply to

• edsediting
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Hi Jonno

Thanks for your help and info!

It is a complicated issue... but I think I understand you right. I was assuming the desktop play delay just delayed playback of picture as opposed to sound.

Cheers

ed

• Sun, Oct 19 2014 5:52 AM In reply to

Thanks for the info!

Between moncondel # and desktop play delay, my desktop monitor, external plasma (via aja ioexpress) and audio are all finally in sync. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller