Latest post Wed, Jul 1 2015 5:53 PM by Jim Gilson. 135 replies.
Page 4 of 10 (136 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 5 2014 6:31 AM In reply to

• Bruce Carter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 17 2014
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 66
    • Points 725

Re: Media Composer and "Yosemite"

Just upgraded to Yosemite today from 10.9.5 running MC 8.2.  Have had one crash so far.  Was importing

video files and MC crashed with message: terminating with uncaught exception of type 

XError: DISK_WRITE_ERROR

When I reopened MC another message appeared that the volume containing the media directory was full.

I had run the media drive out of space.  So I used Media Tool to delete old project media and was able to

import the video ok.  But, this seems llke incredibly poor programming and what kind of testing is done

before releasing that someone doesn't run a test case of a full media drive?  

There is never any excuse, whatsoever, for an application to crash.  Never.  All library calls are known and

all returns should be handled without crashing.  I don't think this has anything to do with Yosemite.  I've

encountered other situations which I have posted about where MC will crash due to failure to catch an

exception.  I wouldn't expect a first year programmer to make this type of mistake and if they did I would

expect that QA would have found it.  I agree with others on this forum that Avid needs a housecleaning from

top to bottom and eliminate the Bs and Cs and Ds and Fs and make sure that there are only As working on the product.

2014 Apple Retina MacBook Pro, 16GB Memory, 1TB SSD, MacOS 10.11.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 7 2014 1:57 AM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

"There is never any excuse, whatsoever, for an application to crash.  Never"

As someone who has used multiple NLEs on multiple platforms for more than 15 years, that's officially the funniest line I have ever read on this forum.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 7 2014 3:38 AM In reply to

• nahbi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 12 2012
    • Posts 354
    • Points 4,315

Yeah I mean that's impossible. Bugs happen and it's impossible to find every single bug in testing.

• Sun, Dec 7 2014 3:58 AM In reply to

• Bruce Carter
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 66
    • Points 725

It's not impossible, just hard.  How many times does the Mac OS crash or panic?  Almost never.  I used to work in software 

engineering doing systems programming.  The OS is held to the highest level of stability and must never crash.  I'm

speaking now of a Unix-based OS not Windows.  Every possbile error return must be checked and dealt with

or you can get into a crash state.  There is no way an application like an NLE is even close to as complicated as a

multi-user, mult-processing OS.  Yet the OS is more stable than the NLE application.  Some people seem to want

you to think that it is normal for the NLE application to crash. It's not normal, just common.  It is the result of sloppy

programming and testing.

One thing I learned while working in software development for many different companies for more than 20 years is that

the products that they develop are a reflection of the people and organization that create them.  If you have a dysfunctional

organization it will develop dysfunctional products.  Any product that crashes is dysfunctional.  Not all bugs lead to a crash.

But the ones that do should have been found.

Let's not get into thinking that Avid crashing is the "new normal".

-bruce

2014 Apple Retina MacBook Pro, 16GB Memory, 1TB SSD, MacOS 10.11.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 7 2014 3:26 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Look Bruce,

Nobody wants crashes...and yeah..it's frustrating when things don't work the way you want them to.  Even more so for someone who has a background in programming, I'm sure.  I just have a realistic attitude about it.  I use all the major NLEs and have for more than a decade.  They all have issues.  They don't always reveal themselves very easily, because there are so many variables and setups.  I would put Avid's record on stability against anyone's. Despite many complaints, they take a long time to qualify hardware and software because they try harder than anyone to get it right.  Adobe or Apple care more about bottom line and routinely deliver software they know has serious problems and half baked features.  Lightworks...don't make me laugh.  It's essentially a perpetual work in progress, and largely open source now.  So where are you gonna turn?  Maybe you can put your 20 years of programming skill to the test and code the perfect NLE we are all entitled to.   You would have our eternal gratitude.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 8 2014 5:56 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

You know what the best part of Premiere Pro CC 2014 is?  It loads very quickly.  Now that I am using both platforms on an approved system, I can say that Premiere Pro crashes more in a week than in overe 2 years in Avid.  No software if bug free.  If that were true there wouldn't be all of the those "bug fix" updates in the Apple Store!

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 8 2014 6:32 PM In reply to

• Bruce Carter
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 66
    • Points 725

Hey John,  I too have more than a decade of editing experience.  10 years on FCP7 and switched to Avid v8 when it came out

earlier this year.  So yes I have seen my share of crashes and hangs.  But with FCP7 you never seemed to know what caused

the crash or hang.   In the case of Avid,  right out of the box I experienced hangs and crashes for seemingly simple things.

For example,  in the beginning I used the USB drive that my client delivered the media on as my media drive and used AMA

to link to it and edit off of it directly.  I experienced hangs and outright crashes.  When I changed workflow to import the 

media to my Thunderbolt media drive and eliminated the AMA links, it has not crashed or hanged as before.  I also saw

hanging when a media file had a transcode glitch from the client.  Only way out was to crash the system with a force quit.

Now I find the crash the app when the media drive has been run out of space.  As time goes on, you learn to program around

these bugs - don't use AMA, USB media drives or run your media drive out of space.  Nevertheless, the bugs are there as are

probably many others.  And I'm not even trying to find them like a tester, just trying to do my work.

As far as Avid trying hard to qualify systems, my opinion is that it matters not what your intentions are but what you deliver.

Bugs that crash or hang the system should be priorty 1 bugs and cause a hold on the software release until fixed.  These

types of bugs can cause loss of customer data and that cannot be tolerated.  It's also very embarassing for the developers or

should be.

I really like Avid, I've been using it now for most of this year and use it daily.  It does not have to be perfect for me, meaning

that there are no bugs.  It simply must just work without hangs or crashes.  And yes I would probably be a good candidate

for consulting on its development.

Cheers,

-bruce

• Mon, Dec 8 2014 6:40 PM In reply to

Bruce Carter:

I used the USB drive that my client delivered the media on as my media drive and used AMA

to link to it and edit off of it directly.  I experienced hangs and outright crashes.  When I changed workflow to import the 

media to my Thunderbolt media drive and eliminated the AMA links, it has not crashed or hanged as before.

That sounds more like a drive speed problem than an AMA problem.

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Dec 8 2014 6:40 PM In reply to

Bruce Carter:
     How many times does the Mac OS crash or panic?  Almost never.

Not in our experience and we handle more than 100+ Mac and PC based editing sytems (mostly Avid but with FCP and Premiere).

Lollipop or Beachball of Death is not meant to be affectionate. Same with BSOD.

Bruce Carter:
    The OS is held to the highest level of stability and must never crash

It must. It touches everything. It is the foundation of the software environment.

10.1 - 10.4 were horrendously unstable. 10.5 was the start of usable OS X - in my opinion (though some versions of 10.4 were usable). 10.7.x was a train wreck. So was any version of 10.8 until 10.8.4.

Let us not even talk about Windows 95, 98, ME, XP and Vista.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 8 2014 9:44 PM In reply to

• Bruce Carter
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 66
    • Points 725

camoscato:

Bruce Carter:

I used the USB drive that my client delivered the media on as my media drive and used AMA

media to my Thunderbolt media drive and eliminated the AMA links, it has not crashed or hanged as before.

That sounds more like a drive speed problem than an AMA problem.

The USB drive was a USB 3.0 drive so it was fast enough for 1 layer of ProRes 422.  As long as you were actively editing

it was fine.  No hangs or crashes.  What was happening in my case was a couple of things.  In one case you would walk away

from the system and come back and the MC would be hung up.  Had to force quit and restart.  In another case, when you

were done and ready to quit MC, it would take forever to close and often would crash.  It seemed like the drive and MC were

not communicating properly.  AMA may or not have been a contributing factor.

• Tue, Dec 9 2014 8:59 AM In reply to

Bruce Carter:

In one case you would walk away from the system and come back and the MC would be hung up.  Had to force quit and restart.

Maybe the drive was set to sleep after a certain amount of time?

Bruce Carter:

It seemed like the drive and MC were not communicating properly.

Sounds that way to me, too.

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Dec 9 2014 5:35 PM In reply to

• Bruce Carter
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 66
    • Points 725

camoscato:

Bruce Carter:

In one case you would walk away from the system and come back and the MC would be hung up.  Had to force quit and restart.

Maybe the drive was set to sleep after a certain amount of time?

Bruce Carter:

It seemed like the drive and MC were not communicating properly.

Sounds that way to me, too.

The drive going to sleep was the first thing I checked and it didn't appear to be asleep and the system preferences

were set to never put the drives asleep.  IIRC, this problem began when v8.1 was introduced.  Something changed

around then.  I get different drives all the time so cannot check the drive at this point.  I like the workflow of importing

the files better now even if it does mean taking the extra time to bring in the files and later media manage them since

it is stable and reliable and just a bit faster to draw audio waveforms.

• Thu, Jan 15 2015 11:38 AM In reply to

Hello Cato's Mom!!

I read in the 8.3 Release Notes that the Westmere dual core Macs are having issues with Yosemite and MC 8.3. I wonder if the single core Westmere 6 Core 3.33 has the same problems. Is it only a dual processor thing and I be rockin'...or not? I am running 8.3 Symphony and it's been a great machine since MC 6 and nearly as fast as the 12 core downstairs...and a lot cheaper! Having frustrating issues here with new SSD install but still using 10.8.5 as I cannot find a Mavericks install anywhere and read the above release notes. Apple really Jimmy Hoffa'd ol' Mavericks!

Love and Happiness and a good tummy rub!

Donny
    Valentino and Blue Bear's dad (and Thunderbird the parrot)

Symphony and ProTools systems and we push them... [view my complete system specs]

don wilson
    V3DFilms.com
    americanamediainc.com

email
    : don@V3Dfilms.com
    Studio: 818.358-4151
    Mobile: 818-267-7181
    IMDB

• Thu, Jan 15 2015 1:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hello Donny doodle.....  how are your furkids this fine morning :)

anyone with a dual 6 core Mac Pro towers (Westmere) and/or the 2013 Mac Pro with a single 12 core CPU may experience performance issues with transcode, render, and playback.  These degradations are typically seen with higher resolution material.  The issue has been logged with Apple and we are awaiting an update.  

Yosemite only  Ping me in a week or so and I can ask George and Pimmy for an update - the hardware gods. Marianna 
    Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Feb 8 2015 9:51 PM In reply to

• Ryder
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 26 2009
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 305

Hullo there,

I'm working with MC 8.3 and Yosemite, and a 8 core Mac Pro tower, and have had a number of issues transcoding, particularly when transcoding AMA.  The system often crashes or freezes. 

Media are on external drive: G-Tech G-speed Studio R. 

I'm working with QuickTime Apple pro Res HQ 422 (I think 10 bits).

I would welcome any information or help.

Hmm

iMAC 27" Processer 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 MAC OS X10.8.5 ATI RADEON HD 4850 Memory 4 Go [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
Page 4 of 10 (136 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller