Latest post Mon, Oct 19 2015 11:33 AM by Telegram!. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 3 2014 2:05 PM

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 26 2013
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Multicam: Effects and Color Correction

Hi dear people,

how would you handle this:

I have 3 cameras, each needs different color correction and a differant vignette effect. I would buid it with paint or animatte.

I of course would like to make the color correction and the effects BEFORE I set the clips in a multicam group. And I do not want to make mixdown for all clips.

Is there a way?

THANKS,

Bilbo

Teaching: MC Apple or windows, Liquid (until 2 years ago), Premiere, FCP... Also Flash, Director, AE. Using: MC, FCP 7 & X At Home: MC 7.04 interplay... [view my complete system specs]

I love words, even if they make me crazy and are responsible for most of the fights and wars. I don't like these last two. 

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 2:29 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,336
    • Points 16,425

Re: Multicam: Effects and Color Correction

The symphony option allows for source side color correction. 

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 2:51 PM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

That's bad...
    I don't want to buy another software.

This would be really a basic request, as FCP or Premiere can do it with no problems. 

Teaching: MC Apple or windows, Liquid (until 2 years ago), Premiere, FCP... Also Flash, Director, AE. Using: MC, FCP 7 & X At Home: MC 7.04 interplay... [view my complete system specs]

I love words, even if they make me crazy and are responsible for most of the fights and wars. I don't like these last two. 

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 2:54 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,336
    • Points 16,425

bilbo:

This would be really a basic request, as FCP or Premiere can do it with no problems. 

Darn it!  I KNEW this was going to be the next sentence but I chose not to snarkily anticipate it in my previous post.

More seriously, does anyone know if the symphony option is available as a month-to-month add-on under the new licensing scheme?

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 8:41 PM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Don't get me wrong, Avid is my favorite software.

But as I teach the 3 of them, I'm sometimes a bit upset.

It would fit to Avid Philosophie to be abble to enter in groups, the same as in nests. Then it would be possible to put color corrections or any effects.

It is not about copying FCP and have attributes on the clips, but following AVID ideas and push them further.

Greets!

Bilbo

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 9:22 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,336
    • Points 16,425

I actually agree with you that it would be nice, (and I really like the way that PP handles mutiple clips within a multicam track) -- only noting that the comparison is so predictable. Wink

• Wed, Jun 4 2014 1:08 AM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

The symphony option is free with the monthly subscription, so you are in luck.

Note that you will need a really powerful machine to play multicam in realtime with source side color correction..in fact the CC may not be visible when playing in quad/nine split.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 4 2014 9:30 PM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Hi John,

that sounds nice. 

Do you know the link to this download? I couldn't find it.

Thanks a lot, that wouild really save me!

Bilbo

• Thu, Jun 5 2014 12:31 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,336
    • Points 16,425

There's nothing extra to download.  It just needs to be unlocked.  How to do that depends on what kind of license you are starting from.

• Thu, Jun 5 2014 1:21 AM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

I don't have a subscription based license, so I don't know how you activate the Symphony option, but I do know you are entitled to it.

Another thing you are entitled to is telephone support, as your monthly subscription includes a support contract.  Give Avid a call and  they will walk you through it.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 5 2014 10:10 AM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Hum,

I do not have a monthly subscription. I bought the software.

But I will have a look in the activations settings.

I'm out for a few days so I'll check it next week.

Thanks to the great people here!

Greets, Bilbo

• Thu, Jun 5 2014 11:05 AM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Then you do not get the Symphony option free.  Only monthly subscription customers get that free.

• Thu, Jun 5 2014 11:34 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,336
    • Points 16,425

A few more thoughts.

It may be worth it to get a second 30 day subscription license for this project ($75 I believe.)  Avid may offer a 30 day trial of the symphony option (I can't figure out if existing MC customers can do this.)  In either case, I also don't know what happens to the symphony effects when the license/trial expires.

Another option would be to round-trip to resolve.

AMA your clips

AAF to resolve (lite is free)

In Resolve, do rough CC, export to DNxHD mxf

Back in Avid, Create Multicam clips

Edit

Flatten multicam,

(If your initial Resolve Grade meets your sfinal tandards, the next steps may be unnecessary)

Relink to AMA

AAF to Resolve for final CC

Test thoroughly!  Resolve and Avid have differing limitations on what files they will link to.

• Sun, Oct 18 2015 10:15 PM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Our movies are usually 1 1/2 hours long (or longer).
    It would take us too much time and if you want to review your CC at the end... Sucks.
    We bought Symphony.
    But this is only a help for CC. When a camera need a light resize, we need to do it clip by clip (or select them all and then doppel-click the effect).

Next to me are sitting the younger editors on the much cheaper FCPX and I must say that for multicam it is way better. 

Greets, Bilbo

• Mon, Oct 19 2015 11:33 AM In reply to

I'm glad you can buy Symphony now. If you had not, I could recommend using Luts to change color of entire clips prior to Group clipping. For a quick, source side workaround, it can do the job well once you get the hang of it. I think you could also do your "slight resize"  of clips using FrameFlex, though I haven't tried it. Point is, there are options available for source side corrections. I'm still not interested in using FCP at this point. Good luck.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller