Latest post Sun, May 18 2014 1:25 AM by Tiger_XP. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 17 2014 8:12 PM

• Laura
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 31 2005
    • Barcelona Spain
    • Posts 37
    • Points 445

"Fair Use" Pavarotti Music in a promo video

Hi everyone! I'm editing a promo video for the web and I'd like to use the Luciano Pavarotti Music for about 10 seconds. The client is in India and he will show the video on his Indian website. Here I come with 2 questions: 1) How long can be the fair use? I remember 10 seconds but I'm not sure. 2) I'm wondering if the fair use policy in terms of time is the same in India. I sent an email to the The Indian Performing Right Society asking the same question, but still no answer. Many thanks in advance for your help. Laura
    OS X 10.9.5, 2.3 GHz Intel Core 17, 4GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB [view my complete system specs]

Laura Albini

Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, May 17 2014 8:39 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,156
    • Points 23,150

Re: "Fair Use" Pavarotti Music in a promo video

As for web use if it is available in a country then the countrys copyrite laws are in effect for that country.

So if it is copyrighted for the USA then you would have to block it there ... then there are the syncing issue as music sync to video has its own rules ...and the big concern is how would you like it if an artist used your video work  for something that only benifitted them  and did not ask or clear it from YOU ... bottom line dont pirate music.... it's not fair to the artist 

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, May 18 2014 1:25 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,075

Re: "Fair Use" Pavarotti Music in a promo video

Check to see what old pieces are in the public domain. There are lots of great tenors out there from years past.

1. Beniamino gigli 2. Enrico Caruso 3. Frank Lopardo 4. Franco Corelli 5. Galliano Masini 6. Jose Cura 7. Mario Lanza 8. Pedro Lavirgen 9. Richard Tucker 10. Rodrigo Garciarrovo

Most have the same repertoire!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller