Latest post Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:22 PM by Telegram!. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 17 2014 2:55 PM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,065
    • Points 12,100

Strip Silence

Getting a lot of multitrack files that are stems. (Split versions of edits)

Be very useful to be able to apply a 'split silence' effect that would put filler (or better add edits with clip volume set to silence) - as per ProTools.

This way I could see where there might be relevant audio to monitor, rather than having to use waveforms and soloing. 

• Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:55 PM In reply to

Re: Strip Silence

This is not a good solution, but it's the best one I've found. You can do this exact thing in Protools and export an AAF so they come in with those gaps out. The issue becomes if the sound guys need to refer back to those stems, which they often do. So what I do is cut the AAF above the stem on the timeline, then go through and select the gap (silence) on the AAF and extract from the stem. This is tiresome, but honestly not nearly as bad as listening and going through 6 stems full of sound effects.

Hope this stop-gap measure works for you!

• Sun, Oct 14 2018 9:45 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,065
    • Points 12,100

I figure this probably needs a bump every couple of years!

This would be very useful when editing dialogue with multiple contributors.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=krNPRY-yqq0&t=1m56s

• Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:58 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,065
    • Points 12,100

waitreally:

This is not a good solution, but it's the best one I've found. You can do this exact thing in Protools and export an AAF so they come in with those gaps out. The issue becomes if the sound guys need to refer back to those stems, which they often do. So what I do is cut the AAF above the stem on the timeline, then go through and select the gap (silence) on the AAF and extract from the stem. This is tiresome, but honestly not nearly as bad as listening and going through 6 stems full of sound effects.

Hope this stop-gap measure works for you!

Thanks wait (belatedly, which is apt)

I've tried this out now...

1. use strip silence,

2. extract (so I keep only the silence)

3. export as AAF (I have to consolidate as I can't seem to get it to use original media - possibly due to multichannel source files)

4. delete the consoldidated media and .pmr files (not needed, only need a reference)

5. import AAF to avid ('silence' clips with offline media)

6. put in timeline with source files

7. drag the 'silence' track clips over the relevant source track

8. 'select all offline media' and delete

bingo - dialogue tracks with only dialogue (needs tidying, obviously, but it is much easier than doing it all manually)

Strip Silence from AAF

• Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:22 PM In reply to

This is a great topic & potential feature. +1

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller