Latest post Mon, Apr 3 2017 3:42 PM by Marianna. 269 replies.
Page 13 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 30 2016 4:23 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Re: Deal breaker: no PhraseFind or ScriptSync in v8.0??

An then there's the educational version and perhaps a 'lite' version of the plugin (or whatever it is) that must be available at a greatly reduced price with, of course, reduced functionality (perhaps in the size of project or length of script) - you have to consider that you have hobbiest's and educators that could benefit from a down-scaled workflow and who don't have the buget of a Hollywood production company.

Makes yours and Nexidia's lives more complex - that's the business you've both chosen to pursue. I can tell you off the top of my head that a $2000 or even $1000 price for this would be too high for me (as a hobbiest or one-man show) where my productions are usually less than 30 minutes in finished length but, for what ever reason, I've had no trouble letting go $299 for the annual MC maintenance (and similar prices for various plugins).

I figure you and Nexidia would end up making more money selling higher volume of the 'lite' license but who knows? I guess that's what you guys are trying to figure out.

Good luck with your negotiations, Dave.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 5:02 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Dave Avid PM:
    Discussing, negotiating, whatever.

Wow, Dave.  What Customer Relations school taught you that?  Wink

In my humble opinion, discussions are something you do over a cup of coffee. Negotiations get deals done.  There needs to be more of the latter.

Guys like Job and Andrew have a right to be frustrated, as the message from Avid has been the same for years.  International nuclear treaties get done faster.

Customers like these are your core user-group and have been telling you for over 2 years that they will gladly give you some money for these two items. I can't believe that Avid hasn't made this a front burner issue.  Instead they get things like the Avid Customer Association, Avid Evdrywhere, Avid Connect and press releases about every movie that was cut on Avid and every community college that buys a Media Composer.  Makes one wonder about priorities.  Also about how much upgrade revenue has been put off or lost.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 8:26 PM In reply to

Dave Avid PM:
    you don't want a $2000 upgrade price, right?
    Personally no. However have you researched /contacted the vast majority of your customers who brought into the original deal to find out what would be acceptable?   My GUESS is the vast majority of them come from a background that understands the reality of paying more to get the right tool for the job.  Most would be on upgraded MC licences that originally cost them $25K++++ and many will have purchased Avid shared storage solutions. So price though still an issue would have a significantly higher make or break threshold.

Hence the thinly veiled suggestion that negotiating a temporary solution for these folks might be (have been) a better approach to the issue than the apparent  "All or Nothing" (quote June 11 15 "we had the contract - sent to Nexidia.  They countered back") approach.  Time would then have been less important in the negotiations for a "deal" that works for a wider percentage of your clients, Avid (Media Central), and Nexidia.

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 8:40 PM In reply to

• nuclearpicnic
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,585

AndrewAction:

Dave Avid PM:
    you don't want a $2000 upgrade price, right?
    Personally no. However have you researched /contacted the vast majority of your customers who brought into the original deal to find out what would be acceptable?   My GUESS is the vast majority of them come from a background that understands the reality of paying more to get the right tool for the job.  Most would be on upgraded MC licences that originally cost them $25K++++ and many will have purchased Avid shared storage solutions. So price though still an issue would have a significantly higher make or break threshold.

Hence the thinly veiled suggestion that negotiating a temporary solution for these folks might be (have been) a better approach to the issue than the apparent  "All or Nothing" (quote June 11 15 "we had the contract - sent to Nexidia.  They countered back") approach.  Time would then have been less important in the negotiations for a "deal" that works for a wider percentage of your clients, Avid (Media Central), and Nexidia.

BINGO.... All the places I work are in this boat and not one day should have gone without this feature... I'm seeing some houses consider switching to Adobe Premiere... that's just nuts.

Mac Pro 2009 Quad Core, Media Composer 8.7 AJA IoExpress, Avid Artist Mix, Sonnet PCI Express 2-Port eSATA, 32Gb Ram, HP displays, keyspan. Drobo S for... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 30 2016 8:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,283
    • Points 219,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks...

I know that credibility is a big thing with this forum and I have been running it for almost 10 years and never lead you astray.... 

With that said,  we are working on this hard.   There are underlining issues behind the scenes with both Avid and Nexidia that prolonged any kind of a contract prior to the Nice purchase. Dave is doing his best to let you know that WE ARE trying HARD to get a deal done that is in the best interest of the customers and both companies.  

There have been many discussions with customers to see what they would and would not pay.... and Dave is well aware that the revenue from upgrades isnt there with those that have SS and PF as well as any add-on's like storage because they remain at v7.x.  

I am going to get with Dave on Monday and discuss some of the feedback here and on other sites and those I have received directly from folks ( including mod's like Andrew and Job ).

Let's see what we can do.... 

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 9:11 PM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

Marianna:

Folks...

I know that credibility is a big thing with this forum and I have been running it for almost 10 years and never lead you astray.... 

With that said,  we are working on this hard.   There are underlining issues behind the scenes with both Avid and Nexidia that prolonged any kind of a contract prior to the Nice purchase. Dave is doing his best to let you know that WE ARE trying HARD to get a deal done that is in the best interest of the customers and both companies.  

There have been many discussions with customers to see what they would and would not pay.... and Dave is well aware that the revenue from upgrades isnt there with those that have SS and PF as well as any add-on's like storage because they remain at v7.x.  

I am going to get with Dave on Monday and discuss some of the feedback here and on other sites and those I have received directly from folks ( including mod's like Andrew and Job ).

Let's see what we can do.... 

Marianna

Again Marianna, thank you for being a bulldog on this and never never never giving up...

BTW Hana - the Mommy Doodle is doing great and I will see my Doodle baby early March when it is newly born... I will send you link to pix...

Love and pranams,

Arthur

Filed under: ,
  • Sat, Jan 30 2016 9:51 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Marianna:

Of course.  Knowing you, if you were doing the negotiating, this would have been a done-deal a long time ago. Big Smile

Marianna:
    Dave is well aware that the revenue from upgrades isnt there with those that have SS and PF as well as any add-on's like storage because they remain at v7.x.

One should be aware that Adobe (and Apple to an extent) has taken some of that upgrade money and it's not coming back. It's not like Avid can just assume frustrated customers will wait around for their discussions to finish.  I understand that enterprise business is important, but not at the expense of core users.

Marianna:
    There have been many discussions with customers to see what they would and would not pay

Isn't that what the ACA was for? Does that still exist?

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 2:09 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,283
    • Points 219,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

switthaus:

Marianna:
    Dave is well aware that the revenue from upgrades isnt there with those that have SS and PF as well as any add-on's like storage because they remain at v7.x.

One should be aware that Adobe (and Apple to an extent) has taken some of that upgrade money and it's not coming back. It's not like Avid can just assume frustrated customers will wait around for their discussions to finish.  I understand that enterprise business is important, but not at the expense of core users.

Marianna:
    There have been many discussions with customers to see what they would and would not pay

Isn't that what the ACA was for? Does that still exist?

Yes Scott..... I know Dave and the team are aware of this but its a 2 way street and it isnt just Avid :) here.... 

The ACA is going strong and they are now doing thigns like voting on features and functionality and providing that list to members so they can see what gets the highest votes for Avid to consider implementing.

Hope all is well....  havent been on IM in a while... getting hit from too many places these days with questions.  Have to scale it back so my laptop was beeping constantly :)  Hit me up on Skype

M

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 1:49 AM In reply to

• Alan Spy
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston
    • Posts 24
    • Points 295

My clients demand it, so I'll gladly pay for it. I'm a pro-user and use Avid extensively. If one of Avid's competitors decides to implement the feature and Avid does not… I'll be forced to start using other applications...sadly.

MacPro 6.1, 32GB Ram, ATI D700 Mac OS 10.11.2 [view my complete system specs]

A Spy

• Sun, Feb 7 2016 8:00 PM In reply to

• Ixchiguan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 26 2007
    • Wilmington, DE
    • Posts 16
    • Points 180

I work on long-form documentaries with extensive interviews. I checked out the Nexidia stie and watched the demos....clearly a lot of improvements since MC 7.0. Since i'm just starting another program--with lots of interviews--I hope you can work this out soon, possibly with chinese menu approach to pricing this offering. the bottmline is....whichever non-linear software offers this capability will have a serious advantage over the others for intereview-driven producers like me

Symphony/MC 8.4.2, Nitris DX, Intel MAC 12-Core,64GB RAM, EVGA 980 TI Graphics Card, Firmtek e-sata drive housings (4 x 5 drives each) with Firmtek 6G... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 28 2016 6:18 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 433
    • Points 5,655

What is the latest version of media composer that had script sync?

I see a v7 in download center but did avid remove scriptsync from it?

update:  7.0.6 Has it and I ran the trial for it.  

It really is a shame that Media Composer doesn't have this anymore.

thx

MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.7ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 28 2016 4:22 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,431
    • Points 41,360

I am curious.  Have any of the folks in this thread reached out to Nexidia directly?

http://www.nexidia.com/contact/

After reading the following page:

www.nexidia.com/solutions/media-entertainment/nexidia-dialogue-search/

it would be interesting to hear from them as to what their relationship with Avid is as they advertise it clearly on that webpage.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Feb 28 2016 9:38 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

jef:

I am curious.  Have any of the folks in this thread reached out to Nexidia directly?

it would be interesting to hear from them as to what their relationship with Avid is as they advertise it clearly on that webpage.

Jef

Jef, Dialogue Search working with Avid products doesn't equate to being included with Avid products. It costs close to $5000.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, Feb 28 2016 10:31 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,431
    • Points 41,360

smyers63:

jef:

Jef

Jef, Dialogue Search working with Avid products doesn't equate to being included with Avid products. It costs close to $5000.

Well, that may be insight into what Nexida feels their product is worth and why there is no apparent movement on an agreement.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Feb 28 2016 11:09 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Exactly my point. It isn't something that's only up to Avid as many people may be thinking. Media Composer used to cost that much and included quite a lot of 3rd party software. To expect extra software free when MC is only a few hundred dollars isn't a reasonable expectation. The money saved on MC could be used to purchase a Nexidia product if it's something important to livelihood.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

Page 13 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller