Latest post Mon, Apr 3 2017 3:42 PM by Marianna. 269 replies.
Page 12 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 25 2016 1:13 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,572
    • Points 45,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Deal breaker: no PhraseFind or ScriptSync in v8.0??

Michael Rothenberg:

I don't think anyone is out to get me, only that my investment wasn't protected.

Job ter Burg:

Another two years later, nothing appears to have changed.

In the meantime, users that need ScriptSync are stuck at v7, but need to pay a yearly support contract with software updates they cannot use, or else their existing license lapse.

This is, undeniably, the real problem and the obvious source for the frustration. Lack of clear communication from Avid has led users to purchase service agreements that they may not have purchased if there was a definitive "No, we're not going to have this." statement.

Unfortunately, griping about it on the forum for 2 years hasn't worked to get better information. What's really needed is to get Marianna to stand on someone's desk until it either happens, or is made clear that it isn't going to happen (did you ever wonder if getting thrown off of someone's desk might be the real reason behind the broken leg?? Wink)

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jan 25 2016 1:25 AM In reply to

DStone:

This is, undeniably, the real problem and the obvious source for the frustration. Lack of clear communication from Avid has led users to purchase service agreements that they may not have purchased if there was a definitive "No, we're not going to have this." 

Exactly. 

MacPro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon (mid 2010), OSX 10.9.2 MC 7.04, Kona LHi [view my complete system specs]

Michael Rothenberg

• Mon, Jan 25 2016 2:25 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,327
    • Points 53,490

Credibility is a precious comodoty. Once lost, very difficult to reestablish.

HDV import anyone?

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Jan 25 2016 5:41 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,075

DStone:
    What's really needed is to get Marianna to stand on someone's desk until it either happens, or is made clear that it isn't going to happen.

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 2:57 AM In reply to

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I'll try to answer everything I can in one response from the thread.  The partnership with Nexidia is more complicated than they have with Boris or other companies.  Both Nexidia and Avid have been working to make this happen, there were several approaches we were trying to work out which included Media Composer and an interaction with Dialog Search and the Avid MediaCentral Platform. The interaction is not just for individual editors, but for enterprise customers who need an enterprise implentation of Dialog Search.  There are lots of technical considerations and financial considerations.  In addition to technical viability, we have to make the partnership financially viable for Avid, Nexidia and you, our customers.  

We have been in contact the last few weeks since Nexidia has joined Nice.  There is more to come in the coming weeks.  If we can work something out, you'll be the first to know. If we can't we'll let you know too.  It's likely not too much longer.  

Dave

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 5:09 AM In reply to

Thanks for the update Dave!  

The first thing that popped into my mind reading "The interaction is not just for individual editors, but for enterprise customers who need an enterprise implementation of Dialog Search." was this smash hit from the 60's ." (the words to first verse)

For me if either or both sides adopt a stance like that you MAY, at some point reach an "optimal" outcome. However IMO you have both lost out heavily, and disadvantaged your users by failing to agree to keep what you could had in place 2 years ago (maybe with different cost structure) for individual MC licenses, then agreeing to keep negotiating towards each others optimal outcome.     But then I am probably just a naive idealist 

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 5:53 AM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

AndrewAction:

Thanks for the update Dave!  

The first thing that popped into my mind reading "The interaction is not just for individual editors, but for enterprise customers who need an enterprise implementation of Dialog Search." was this smash hit from the 60's ." (the words to first verse)

For me if either or both sides adopt a stance like that you MAY, at some point reach an "optimal" outcome. However IMO you have both lost out heavily, and disadvantaged your users by failing to agree to keep what you could had in place 2 years ago (maybe with different cost structure) for individual MC licenses, then agreeing to keep negotiating towards each others optimal outcome.     But then I am probably just a naive idealist 

thanks Andrew - Beautifully and well put.  Need I say more - I don't think so....

Let's Get this done - AVID please!!!!!!

Love and pranams,

Arthur

Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 11:05 AM In reply to

• Alan Spy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 24
    • Points 295

Dave,

Thanks for the honest update! Keeping my fingers crossed and my faith in Avid that I've maintained for over 25 years.

Best, Al Spy

MacPro 6.1, 32GB Ram, ATI D700 Mac OS 10.11.2 [view my complete system specs]

A Spy

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 8:43 PM In reply to

At minimum, isn't there a way to just make people existing SciptSync and PhraseFind licenses work in MC8 and beyond? You don't have to sell any new licenses, just let the existing ones still work.  I'm dying here!

Just let the existing licesnes work now, then keep haggaling over future versions.

Nathan

MC7, 27" iMac 3.4Ghz Intel Core i7, 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.7.5, [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 9:42 PM In reply to

This is the heart of what we have been discussing with Nexidia.  The previous agreement expired and we cannot let the upgrades occur until a new agreement is in place.

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 9:13 PM In reply to

Dave Avid PM:
    discussing with Nexidia
    Discussing???? Not even negotiating?

Dave Avid PM:
    The previous agreement expired
    Yes two years (approx) ago

Dave Avid PM:
    we cannot let the upgrades occur until a new agreement is in place.
    pardon my suspension of disbelief. Throughout the two years your negotiators could not see that reaching a "new agreement" was going to take a long time?  That the negotiators (or policy makers) have not been capable of understanding how badly this has been impacting on their paying customers for 2 years? (even with the 174 posts and 33000+ views here). Or even been mentally agile enough to brain storm a temporary solution. (Allow the 2014 status quo to continue in the short term for existing licence holders for instance)   

To a slightly informed layman like myself that it must have taken far more effort, resources (and money?) to prevent those licences from working with MC8 and subsequent releases than it would have to allow the 2014 existing licences to continue working with MC upgrades until a deal could be reached.  To me it seems that both the aims of and processes involved in these "talks" could benefit from close scrutiny by upper level management (and or new owners).

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 9:53 PM In reply to

Dave Avid PM:

The previous agreement expired and we cannot let the upgrades occur until a new agreement is in place.

Side comment:  my first thought here was the realization that there was also time to negotiate well before the agreement expired, meaning that no action has been taken on this issue for even longer than the two years.  It seems fair to infer that Avid did not anticipate any issues with Nexidia and was caught up short at that time.

Dave Avid PM:

There is more to come in the coming weeks.  If we can work something out, you'll be the first to know. If we can't we'll let you know too.  It's likely not too much longer.  

But anyway, while I appreciate Dave finally stepping in to communicate on this issue, I don't hear anything new or noteworthy in his comments.  Variations on the above statement have been made fairly regularly over this time.  There's no guidance really.  And interestingly, and sorry but I have to point this out, there was no apology at all.

MacPro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon (mid 2010), OSX 10.9.2 MC 7.04, Kona LHi [view my complete system specs]

Michael Rothenberg

• Fri, Jan 29 2016 9:56 PM In reply to

I shouldn't have said "no action has been taken," but "no results have been achieved."  I know Avid has been working on this.  Sorry about that.

Mike

Michael Rothenberg

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 2:12 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Dave Avid PM:
    discussing with Nexidia
    Discussing???? Not even negotiating?

Discussing, negotiating, whatever.  Its actually been three years,not two and if you go way back, its been 10 we have been working together.   

Its in my best interest to make sure the agreement is fair to you the customer (you don't want a $2000 upgrade price, right?), Avid and even Nexidia. 

Yeah, its taking a long time, and yeah it stinks.  And Yeah, i'd wish i could move on from this and get it done too.  Sit tight, we are working on it.  

Dave

• Sat, Jan 30 2016 2:31 PM In reply to

The real shame is that the initial pricing amde it a costly addition so it was only taken up by those that could lever that to improve their profitability.

If it had been priced at an affordable level the take up would have been much higher and everntually everyone would have one.

As a trainign organisation we weren't even able to justify the cost to show students it's value. Daft on so many fronts.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 12 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller