Latest post Mon, Apr 3 2017 3:42 PM by Marianna. 269 replies.
Page 11 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 22 2016 10:32 PM In reply to

Re: Deal breaker: no PhraseFind or ScriptSync in v8.0??

Job ter Burg:

... we have been constantly led to believe a solution was still being worked on. Well, after all this time, it has not proven to be anything but words and somewhat conflicting generic statements -- nobody has anything to show for it.

...I don't think I'm being off when stating that all of this has been extremely misleading.

Couldn't agree more.  No amount of pleading and cajoling by users on this thread or elsewhere has gotten Avid to simply tell us the truth.  And the fact that they keep sending Marianna, our champion, to string us along makes it worse.

MacPro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon (mid 2010), OSX 10.9.2 MC 7.04, Kona LHi [view my complete system specs]

Michael Rothenberg

• Sat, Jan 23 2016 6:34 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,577
    • Points 45,930
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I've been amazed by the amount of negativity in this particular thread. This is a highly desired feature, and is licensed by many other companies (Adobe, Boris, etc.), so it's pretty clear that it something that Avid would have wanted to keep. What we don't know is what happened with the original licensing from Nexidia, or why Avid could not (or would not) renew the license. I think it's a lot more than just a pricing issue (Boris licenses the dialog search from Nexidia and sells it for $295; sorry, but no MC support). It feels more like a breakdown between the companies. With the acquisition of Nexidia by Nice, things may be taking a turn for the better.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Jan 23 2016 7:03 PM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

I agree,

How about some positivity... I can only imagine the difficulty that AVID has come up against with this negotiation... Don't you all think they would love another product to sell or license?  Obviosly there are some sticky issues for -the negotiators.

(who knows other than the negotiators what is going on behind closed doors.)

I personally appreciate that Marianna and Louis haven't given up on this negotiation!

This thread has been the lifeline to Avid knowing we are still very interested in using PhraseFind / Script-Sync. 

IMHO The idea in this thread is not to beat up Avid but to cheerlead this deal to fruition... I feel we are really really close to having PhraseFind back in MC 8.4.?

Love and pranams,

Arthur

PS I love this community and Forum... TY all for participating generiously!

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Jan 24 2016 1:15 AM In reply to

amazed by the amount of negativity

Yes, why on earth would anyone be skeptical about this?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 24 2016 1:24 AM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

Job ter Burg,

I remain Hopeful for in this case sceptical has absolutely NO value what-so-ever IMHO

Lvoe and pranams,

Geeked

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Jan 24 2016 2:31 AM In reply to

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Avid is not a child in need of support and love to work out its business problems, and we customers have every right to express our dissatisfaction, which does have value in the sense that it communicates the urgency with which we feel they should be working.  I too felt hopeful, until I didn't. 

MacPro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon (mid 2010), OSX 10.9.2 MC 7.04, Kona LHi [view my complete system specs]

Michael Rothenberg

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 2:37 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,577
    • Points 45,930
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The skepticism is understandable. The issue is that we don't know the backstory and probably never will. Lack of information is the breeding ground for skepticism and paranoia (of course, just because your paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!)

I'm referring specifically to the tone of some of the mesages. I find it hard to believe that Avid wanted to give up Phrasefind and Scriptsync. But licensing 3rd party software happens at an higher administrative level, and negotiations are seldom if every made public (for publically held companies such as Avid, there are rules about what you can and can't say). And resorting to name calling is hardly worthwhile.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 4:40 AM In reply to

DStone:
    I find it hard to believe that Avid wanted to give up Phrasefind and Scriptsync.
    But do they find it harder to be flexible negotiators if the TP does not share the current Avid "Vision" for the future
    DStone:
    But licensing 3rd party software happens at an higher administrative level,
    Is it coincidental then that the new(ish at the time) CEO's vision for the future was Avid Everywhere?

The second post in this thread quotes one of Avid's negotiators (The Product Manager) saying this as part of his explanation for the time taken NOT to reach an agreement "In the future the MediaCentral platform will allow partners like Nexidia to use their technology new and innovative ways." Then 18 months later an Avid quote saying "we have been working for a while now with Nexidia to integrate their technology into the MediaCentral Platform"  For me those two quotes are the basis for coming to my own conclusion as to why this problem still exists.

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 5:20 AM In reply to

DStone:

The skepticism is understandable. The issue is that we don't know the backstory and probably never will. Lack of information is the breeding ground for skepticism and paranoia (of course, just because your paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!)d

I'm referring specifically to the tone of some of the mesages. I find it hard to believe that Avid wanted to give up Phrasefind and Scriptsync. But licensing 3rd party software happens at an higher administrative level, and negotiations are seldom if every made public (for publically held companies such as Avid, there are rules about what you can and can't say). And resorting to name calling is hardly worthwhile.

Dave, point taken.  And agreed that name calling is never okay- hope I didn't do it.  However, backstory notwithstanding, customers have been left in the lurch, with few ways to seize control over our situation other than change vendors, and no hard information to guide us.  I don't think anyone is out to get me, only that my investment wasn't protected.

Michael Rothenberg

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 9:09 AM In reply to

DStone:
    we don't know the backstory
    But we know the facts.

ScriptSync was a nice but not too well-known feature, that at some point had to be turned into a paid add-on because of licensing/pricing issues. The official promise back then, literally, was: 

"We have a development schedule in place, and plan to add more features to ScriptSync over time"

None of that ever saw the light. In stead, they removed the feature just two years after making it a paid add-on.

Another two years later, nothing appears to have changed.

In the meantime, users that need ScriptSync are stuck at v7, but need to pay a yearly support contract with software updates they cannot use, or else their existing license lapse.

That's just the facts.

While I'm glad some folks still have hope, it has become too hard for me.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 24 2016 1:55 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,328
    • Points 53,495

Someone described todays patience as a "microwave society". This process exceeds crock pot cooking. Hopefullness and good feelings benefits those waiting, does little for motivating actual business dealings.

If this was a high level issue for senior management, it would have been done, or there would have been a statement to subscribers as to why it could not be.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 4:48 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,442
    • Points 41,515

I sometimes wonder if Senior Avid management is more interested in moving Avid's corporate headquarters to Florida than moving the product forward.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 5:38 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

DStone:
    we don't know the backstory
    But we know the facts.

ScriptSync was a nice but not too well-known feature, that at some point had to be turned into a paid add-on because of licensing/pricing issues. The official promise back then, literally, was: 

"We have a development schedule in place, and plan to add more features to ScriptSync over time"

None of that ever saw the light. In stead, they removed the feature just two years after making it a paid add-on.

Another two years later, nothing appears to have changed.

In the meantime, users that need ScriptSync are stuck at v7, but need to pay a yearly support contract with software updates they cannot use, or else their existing license lapse.

That's just the facts.

While I'm glad some folks still have hope, it has become too hard for me.

One more fact: all ScriptSync patents expire Jan 2018. Scriptbased Editing (originally from Ediflex) has already expired.

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 5:48 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

This thread has been going on since May of 2014. What could possibly take 2 years to do?  You either do a deal or not.  Seems to me that there are some layers making a lot of money on this.  

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 5:51 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Lawyers, not layers!  Maybe layers of lawyers maiking money?  ;-)

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

Page 11 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller