Latest post Thu, May 29 2014 5:57 AM by Tiger_XP. 195 replies.
Page 4 of 14 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 18 2014 12:14 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Re: MC 8.0

That's how I read it too. I would not characterize this policy as reasonable. I think it is designed to strongly encourage longtime customers to fork out the $299 per year (that $1799 is six years of annual support and MC updates). Extortion would be too strong a word. Strongly encouraged ;-)

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, May 18 2014 1:11 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

It's an incentive to stay current. Users who traditionally bought each update come out ahead in this deal. Users who frequently skipped a version or so, probably pay more. Take your pick. At least if you stop, you still own what you paid for, unlike Adobe's Creative Cloud or Autodesk's new subscription for Smoke, which are pure rental models.

- Oliver

• Sun, May 18 2014 10:22 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Carl, I've asked Avid personnel to get into this to give clear, official answers instead of people just rehashing what they think is correct.  Our individual understandings of the new policies aren't sufficient.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, May 18 2014 10:43 PM In reply to

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Agreed... I would be really nice to hear this from the horse's mouth.  I usually update every major version, but 6.5 has been working so perfectly and I haven't needed anything from the new releases, I haven't upgraded yet.

- Avid Media Composer - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design DeckLink... [view my complete system specs]

Walter Lowe
    Blackburst Entertainment
    wlowe@blackburst.net
    http://blackburstentertainment.com

• Mon, May 19 2014 4:12 AM In reply to

smyers63:
    Carl, I've asked Avid personnel to get into this to give clear, official answers instead of people just rehashing what they think is correct.  Our individual understandings of the new policies aren't sufficient.

Those answers in my other post aren't my individual understanding, they're the official answers.

Blackburst1:
    Agreed... I would be really nice to hear this from the horse's mouth.

The FAQ was written by Avid.  

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, May 19 2014 7:02 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Quotes from the FAQ or other documents which don't say specifically that you can no longer use your original dongle if "x" takes place aren't good enough.  It needs to be in writing, officially by Avid and as specific as needed as to no longer need someone else to explain what it means.

I expect these further clarifications will come in a day or two since it's now the weekend.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Mon, May 19 2014 7:40 AM In reply to

In my opion are the loyal customers the most import asset of companies these days.

With this new policy of AVID i know for shure, that many users will migrate to GV Edius or FC at the end of 2014.

If you pay 1000's of euros for upgrades during last the years ( i started with version 3.0!), it is unbelievalble that you change policies for loyal customers at once.

Just charge loyal users a fee for new versions add new features and more stabilty ( that the last 3 versions!) and people will stay on AVID and buy upgrades the way it was.

This is for shure a wrong decision for long therm. I will prove that by the end of Q1 2015.

Working on AVID MC 7.0.4 with HP XW 8600, 16 gb RAM Windows 7 prof SP1. MOJO DX. Artist Controller, ProTools 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 19 2014 8:12 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,075

The missing factors to encourage any customer to fork out money monthly/yearly are the unknown items in the updates. It is quite possible for Avid to include items in the 1st update that make many things said here mute. (no one hold their breath!) 1.The new engine should use all available ram and eliminate trascoding/relinking 2.This engine with a specific amount of ram and raid speed should enable the playing of 2K-5K R3D. Multicam 2K-5K R3D with a specific configuration. This of course means no $6,750.00 R3D RocketX card needed! The good thing is the computer lineup is the same as MC7 with the addition of the new Mac pros (6c-12c).

If Avid is going to ask X-amount of money for unknown items in their updates, the 1st update beter be great! I think the comments here are based on Avids past releases! Not to say they will change, but a change is needed.

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, May 19 2014 8:13 AM In reply to

• YOP
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,135

CTL Video Group:

In my opion are the loyal customers the most import asset of companies these days.

With this new policy of AVID i know for shure, that many users will migrate to GV Edius or FC at the end of 2014.

If you pay 1000's of euros for upgrades during last the years ( i started with version 3.0!), it is unbelievalble that you change policies for loyal customers at once.

Just charge loyal users a fee for new versions add new features and more stabilty ( that the last 3 versions!) and people will stay on AVID and buy upgrades the way it was.

This is for shure a wrong decision for long therm. I will prove that by the end of Q1 2015.

I totaly agree with you!

There is one more thing I'm not sure of,
    As a Symphony user I used to get the 3rd party softwares which was included in the price, BCC, Sorenson Squeeze, Avid DVD, Avid FX.
    Now I see that those softwares comes as lite versions or don't come at all.
    Again another bad change against old and loyal Avid paying users.

System - Avid Media Composer 2018.11 + Symphony Option, HP Z840, ZTurbo 500GB for System, CPU E5-2650V3 10 Core, 32GB RAM, AMD FirePro W7100, BlackMagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 19 2014 4:49 PM In reply to

Hi,

Dave from Product Management here.  I'll do my best to answer your questions.  Marianna asked me to see if I could guide some clarity on some of the items mentioned in this thread.  I guess I'll start with the program and try to catch everybody up on some of the questions to date.  The program looks like this:

Perpetual License: You can use this license for as long as you need to, it never expires.  The cost for a new license is $1299 and includes one year of upgrades for software and technical support.

• After that one year of use (remember you still can use it as you need to), you can choose to continue upgrades and support for another year for $299.
    • Please note: This $299 program previously was $599.
    • If you choose not to pay $299 per year, that's certainly ok. Your software will stay at the last version and work as long as you need it to.
    • If you let your contract lapse, and then decide you want the latest version, you have to rebuy the product – either $1299 or $1799 if you want to use a dongle. Your original dongle still works, but you can’t upgrade it.  You’re still free to move your dongles back and forth between systems – one’s just “frozen in time.

Subsciption License

• Can subscribe to Media Composer for $49.99 or $74.99 depending on your commitment.
    • Once you stop paying your software stops working.
    • Current Media Composer customers can subscribe (or crossgrade) to a subscription for $39.99 for the first year, $49.99 (for yearly commitment)
    • Subscription includes upgrades and support

Hope this helps, I'd be happy to answer questions as best as I can.

Dave

• Mon, May 19 2014 5:19 PM In reply to

• YOP
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,135

Dave Avid PM:

Perpetual License: You can use this license for as long as you need to, it never expires.  The cost for a new license is $1299 and includes one year of upgrades for software and technical support.

• If you let your contract lapse, and then decide you want the latest version, you have to rebuy the product – either $1299 or $1799 if you want to use a dongle. Your original dongle still works, but you can’t upgrade it.  You’re still free to move your dongles back and forth between systems – one’s just “frozen in time.

Hi Dave,

I just want to ask, WHY?

Why does the system which customers paid full money is "frozen in time" as you said just because they skipped a year of paying $299?
    Usually a system loose it's relevance after few years so Avid well know that people don't want to loose the money they have already paid for, thousands of Dollars for many years of upgrades. Customers usualy upgraded only to the upgrades they need and when they need it.
    Now I feel I'm going to pay from advanced for upgrades I may not need, or bad upgrades full of bugs. maybe the upgrade I do need is M.C 10 which will be 2-3 years from now. till then I will have to pay $900 just to make sure my system is not frozen.   
    I don't understand why Avid is so strict with it's loyal customers..
    Avid could charge extra from customers who skipped a year or two of upgrades as it was always. That would be an honest thing to do.
    Thanks

System - Avid Media Composer 2018.11 + Symphony Option, HP Z840, ZTurbo 500GB for System, CPU E5-2650V3 10 Core, 32GB RAM, AMD FirePro W7100, BlackMagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 19 2014 5:41 PM In reply to

Dave Avid PM:
    Dave from Product Management here....

Thanks for confirming, Dave.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, May 19 2014 5:49 PM In reply to

I guess I need to know what's wrong with $299 a year when you receive updates and support.  That's $25 a month.  We're planning smaller updates throughout the year.  The goal of this program is 2 things:

• Give customers the option to purchase and keep their purchase for as long as they need to use it (you own it)
    • If you want to keep current on feature and get support, then we offer this $299 version.  But you do not need to purchase it.
    You'll see more and more companies moving to similar models or to subscription altogether.  Microsoft has a similar model. We'll also be rolling out similar programs for Pro Tools and Sibelus.  I'm not sure why you see this as penalizing our customers.  We went through a lot of thought on looking at this program. The previous support program was $300 more.   For non-support customers who just purchased upgrades lets look at the cost.  For 4 years,  If you upgraded every other year the cost would have been ~$800, but you did not get support.  In the new program the cost is $~1200 for 4 years but you get support and access to upgrades all year long for each year.   Thanks for the feedback,
    Dave

• Mon, May 19 2014 5:50 PM In reply to

camoscato:

Dave Avid PM:
    Dave from Product Management here....

Thanks for confirming, Dave.

Well, I thought i should at leave introduce myself to start off :)

• Mon, May 19 2014 5:52 PM In reply to

Dear Avid,

We know now for sure the new rules of the AVID game.

But most of the loyal AVID users from day one do not like the new rules.

Please do not repeat the new rules all the time , but listen to loyal customers.

I think with this policy the game will be changed from Q1 2015.

Working on AVID MC 7.0.4 with HP XW 8600, 16 gb RAM Windows 7 prof SP1. MOJO DX. Artist Controller, ProTools 10 [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 14 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller