Latest post Thu, May 15 2014 7:06 AM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 15 2014 1:32 AM

Mixed Frame Rate Issue/NTSC to PAL Conversion

Hiya!

I am really hoping that someone could help me with this issue. I have Canon 5D Mark II Footage, along with DV CAM footage, and I am trying to edit the sequence as a 1080p/25 format setting. The 5D footage was shot at 24 fps and the external footage was shot at 25. The footage has a lot of movement in it and when I transcoded the 24 fps into 25, a "ghosting" effect seems to appear.

I then tried opening a bin from another project but the ghosting was still there. Finally I imported the footage (untranscoded) and the ghosting went, however there is a slight lagging.

The video will be shown in a PAL country. 

How can I get rid of either the lagging, or the ghosting? Also is there a better way to convert 24 fps into 25 fps without going through Avid?

Thanks for your help! :) 

• Thu, May 15 2014 5:41 AM In reply to

Re: Mixed Frame Rate Issue/NTSC to PAL Conversion

You will need to speed up the 24fps footage so that a frame stays a frame. This means speeding up the picture as well as the sound. See http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/TVScenes_25_24.pdf.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 15 2014 7:03 AM In reply to

I've been working on a 90 min feature needing just that.

We had 24fps content and needed 25fps.

Initially for spped we just opened the 24fps sequence in a 25fps project and MC applied a motion adapter and we got blended frames. Duration of the piece was unchanged and audio unchanged.

For the main output I did a video mixdown in the 24fps project. Did a QT ref export. video only.

I then tried to do an AMA link in the 25fps with the console command to ignore frame rate but this doesn't seem to work any more so I had to use the console command to ignore frame rate for imports. Imported and got a true 25fps video content that was now 3 minutes shorter.

The Duccing mixer did a speed change and pitch shift on the audio and re-supplied and we added that audio and did the outputs.

Avid does urgently need some normal iuers controls on handling framerate conversion. And ideally as an addition to the AMA source settings.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, May 15 2014 7:06 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Avid does urgently need some normal iuers controls on handling framerate conversion.
    Yes. File-based Universal Mastering.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller