Latest post Tue, Aug 26 2014 3:22 PM by Job ter Burg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 9 2014 7:40 PM

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

DNxHD36 project - same as source export makes a ProRes422 QT

So this problem is coming and going, but I am working at DNxHD36. I had been exporting SAS and getting a DNxHD36 QT. The other day I exported and got a ProRes422 QT. I realized that I had put 3 ProRes clips in the timeline. I replaced these shots with DNxHD36 versions, but now when I export I am still getting a ProRes QT. I turned on clip resolutions in clip text and went through the sequence, but didn't find anything but DNx.

When I came in this morning, I was getting DNxHD36 SAS exports again. I thought it was a glitch and a restart had fixed it. However, now I am back to getting ProRes. It exports fast everytime as if it's not converting. Then if I set it to DNxHD36 in the export settings, it takes a while to export as if it is converting. 

Any ideas?

Keith

• Fri, May 9 2014 7:46 PM In reply to

Re: DNxHD36 project - same as source export makes a ProRes422 QT

There is one clip or most likely a render in your sequence that is ProRes - perhaps you should 'clear renders'. When there are mixed resolutions in a timeline, a SAS export will switch to the highest one and export as such.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 9 2014 9:27 PM In reply to

• mudshark73
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

That seemed to do it. Thank you!

• Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:12 PM In reply to

I wish there was a way to specifiy which resolution should be treated as the base resolution for SAS exports. If I have a timeline with 90% DNX36 and 10% DNX115, SAS will give me all 115.

If instead of SAS I chose the DNX36 codec I experience a 4x time penalty, as it seems MC is having to re-encode all the DNX 36 even though the target resolution is the same.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:41 PM In reply to

It's actually worse than that. I'm pretty sure a SAS export just makes a QT of the media in the timeline (renders etc included) so you actually get a QT with potentially a mixture of codecs. The QT properties only flag the first media in the file.

SO you have to be really careful not to create exports with mixed codecs when doing SAS.

I tend to use a video mixdown to be sure. I've even had black filler at the start as being the trigger for a wrong QT decription.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Aug 26 2014 1:15 PM In reply to

I do know from my example above with only 10% 115, it would give me a file that reports as 115 when inspected and would certainly be a size equivalent with that codec for the entire export.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 26 2014 1:19 PM In reply to

Normally the export time is the clue. SAS exports are just file copies and a wrapper. If it has to transcode you get a very slow conversion overhead.

But I have experienced mixed SAS exports and they cause all sorts of issues down the line.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Aug 26 2014 3:22 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    a SAS export just makes a QT of the media in the timeline (renders etc included) so you actually get a QT with potentially a mixture of codecs.
    That has not been my experience. It seems to transcode to the highest bitrate/codec used in the sequence. Can even be one render on an layer that is not even visible.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller