Latest post Sat, May 3 2014 12:53 AM by Dom Q. Silverio. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 3 2014 12:35 AM

• Apache4
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 3 2014
    • Posts 36
    • Points 350

File based Work Flows, Pro Res Meta Data, AAF and Avi Limits.

Alright guys, I have questions.  I work in the industry and things are changing. We are moving away from tapes/DVD's and starting to do everything file based.

Is there a way for me to import Pro Res files without changing the meta data? I import the pro res 1:1 MXF, Avid then asks me if I want to change the resolution settings or if I want to keep it as the original. Of course, I tell it to keep the original format. It then brings it in as a Pro Res codec at 4:2:2  Everything seems all good, but when I look at the color space it has changed. Why is it changing this meta data?

If I try to do an AMA link with the Pro Res file then create a sequence it doesnt let me export a file same as source.  I can transcode the AMA link, but this changes the Pro Res Codec to DNX.  Is there a way to work with Pro Res files in Avid without loosing the original meta data? Final Cut 7 doesn't change it. Why does Avid?

And while I'm on the subject, is Avid ever going to update their AVI export settings so I can make a file larger than 2 gigs? Its the same issue when it comes to exporting AAF's.  I have to give my audio guys multiple AAF files instead of just one big one.  Will this ever get updated? 

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need anymore info regarding my situation.

• Sat, May 3 2014 12:53 AM In reply to

Re: File based Work Flows, Pro Res Meta Data, AAF and Avi Limits.

Apache4:
    I import the pro res 1:1 MXF

ProRes is a compressed format thus 1:1 is not possible. Maybe you meant 4444?

Apache4:
    Everything seems all good, but when I look at the color space it has changed. Why is it changing this meta data?

Metadata or color space? Metadata in post usually means descriptive data like TC, camera, lens, aperture, focal length, markers, etc. and not actual video properties (fps, color space, bit depth).

If it was PR 444, make sure in your project format tab you are set to RGB and not YCrCb. This will allow you to create 444 MXF media.

Apache4:
    If I try to do an AMA link with the Pro Res file then create a sequence it doesnt let me export a file same as source.

Avid uses the QT engine to generate QT MOV files. Because of licensing, ProRes creation is not possible with Windows QT engine. It can be done using third party software, usually based on the FFFMBC engine.

Apache4:
    Final Cut 7 doesn't change it. Why does Avid?

If you were on the Mac platform, FCP as well as Avid or pretty much any software will allow you to create ProRes files. See previous answer.

Apache4:

And while I'm on the subject, is Avid ever going to update their AVI export settings so I can make a file larger than 2 gigs? Its the same issue when it comes to exporting AAF's.  I have to give my audio guys multiple AAF files instead of just one big one.  Will this ever get updated? 

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need anymore info regarding my situation.

AAF or AVI?

AVI is pretty much a dead format. Let it go.

AAF? Check the box "Edit Protocol" to allow files larger than 2GB. Also, using link media to folder is another workaround and IMHO allow more flexibility.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller