Latest post Fri, May 2 2014 3:43 PM by amilton. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 30 2014 8:11 AM

Captions and ICPS player

Hi, 

I've been starting to look into using the ICPS player in a custom application. One requirement we have is to be able to show captions associated with the video. However, I've noticed that the 1.5 documentation (ICPS V1.5 Player API) there no longer is any mention of the loadCaptions() method which have been available in the earlier versions (for instance in 1.1.2). 

Is this just an oversight, or isn't captions supported in newer versions of the player?

Thanks, 

Martin. 

• Wed, Apr 30 2014 5:13 PM In reply to

• sharnois
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 7 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: Captions and ICPS player

The API didn't change. We'll check the documentation. You can verify with the player test page.

rpm -Uvh /opt/avid/Packages/maxcut-devel*

http://<server>/player/index.html

The loadCaption is still in the sample code in /var/www/html/player/index.html

• Thu, May 1 2014 8:29 PM In reply to

• amilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20
      Avid Employee

Hi Martin,

The function is still there but we don't support it anymore so it has been removed from the documentation.

PS.  I'd suggest using 1.8 since some issues with captions were fixed recently.

• Fri, May 2 2014 6:48 AM In reply to

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

However, I'm not completely sure I understand your answer(s). What does "we don't support it anymore"? mean in this context (ie, if I integrate the player in my custom webapp, can I count on it being around in the future?)

Also, on a more general note: is it common that you stop supporting features in the player? 

• Fri, May 2 2014 3:43 PM In reply to

• amilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20
      Avid Employee

Hi Martin,

The 1.5 release was officially the first public release of the player API.  Integration of the player by any third party wasn't supported beforehand (the original 1.1.2 doc you found was for certified partners).  We generally add features so you'll see some new API functionality in future releases, and we may begin to support captions.  Rest assured that backwards compatibility is important for us so if functions do change, generally it'll be by adding parameters to the functions.  Those parameters will have default values so it won't require changes for integration.  If anything major does change in future releases, it'll be highlighted in the documentation.

The player is an integral part of the products we are actively developing.  You can count on it being around for a long time.  It's probably worth noting that a purely html5 version of the player is on its way but it will expose exactly the same API as the current verison.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller