Latest post Thu, Oct 23 2014 3:53 PM by Marianna. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 29 2014 7:03 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,047
    • Points 105,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Updated Get Started Fast w/ Media Composer | Software FAQ

New Get Started Fast w/ Media Composer | Software FAQ

Each time this is updated I will date stamp the post and indicate what is new.

-------------------------

Posted April 29th, 2014

-------------------------

Q:  Why is Avid offering a Media Composer subscription license?

A: Many of our customers have asked for this option and we delivered.  That’s why you now have a choice—gain access to the latest Media Composer toolset as needed on a low-cost monthly or annual basis, significantly lowering entry to the industry’s most trusted editing tool, or purchase and own it outright, as before.  World class Avid support and software upgrades are now included in all plans. However, perpetual licenses must be renewed after the first year to continue receiving support and upgrades. New support options means help is there when you need it. See the Media Composer License Comparison Guide for more information about these new Media Composer licensing and support options.

Q:  Isn’t that going to cost me more over time? What is the benefit for my business?

A: We know your budget is tighter than ever, making the decision to keep software up to date or invest in new products more difficult.  These new licensing options make it easier for you to get new software features and enhancements the moment they are ready, as opposed to waiting for the next big release.  On top of all that, Avid support and software upgrades are now included in all plans which previously required an additional purchase. Most importantly, Avid now puts choice in the hands of our customers, enabling you to decide how you acquire, use, and interact with our tools.

Q:  I don’t want to pay month to month. I didn’t like it when the other “A” company did this, and I don’t like that Avid is doing it now. I want to buy or upgrade when I feel there are features that I need.

A: Monthly subscriptions are only one of the new licensing choices for those who wish to add Media Composer seats instantly at a very low cost. This enables you to ramp editing systems up and down based on your individual or business needs. With an annual subscription, you can save even more on your monthly costs. Of course you also still have the option of buying the software outright for $1,299 (USD), which includes one year of Avid Support and software upgrades from the date of purchase. To continue receiving updates/upgrades and support after the first year, simply join the yearly Avid Support renewal plan for the low price of $299 (USD).

Q: What if I buy and don’t register. Can my “year of Avid Support and software upgrades” start from that date?

A: The registration process has changed from how it was handled previously. When a customer purchases and redeems the download code they are automatically registered at that time.

Q:  I’m an existing Media Composer user; what happens to my software now? Do I have to upgrade to this new licensing model?

A: If you have an existing Avid Expert Plus or Elite Support plan, you will be able to upgrade to Media Composer 8 when it is available as long as your contract is still active. If your contract has expired or you don’t have an Avid Support plan, you have the choice of purchasing an Avid Support renewal plan, which provides support and updates/upgrades for one year, or not renewing and remaining at your current level of software. Outside of the renewal program, you can continue to run your current version of software indefinitely. To take advantage of the $299 price for the Avid Support plan, you MUST renew in 2014 or renew when your existing support contract expires. Your other option is to simply subscribe to a monthly or annual subscription plan.

Q:  How can I verify the expiration date of my support contract?

A:  You can verify the expiration date of your Avid contract by logging into your Support Center portal from within the “My Account” section at account.avid.com.

Q:   I see that this version is designated as Media Composer 8, but I don’t see any big new features in this release like Avid usually delivers.

A: Don’t worry—they’re coming. For this initial launch of Media Composer, we want to make sure that our new subscription offerings have a smooth deployment and that all of our new subscribers get the best experience. We are even creating a forum on community.avid.com specifically for the subscription offerings to ensure that customers receive the correct information, pricing and guidance.  We will then release a software update that includes many exciting new features, coming later in Q2, 2014.

Q:  Why did Avid discontinue NewsCutter?

A: Most of the news-centric editing features introduced in past NewsCutter releases have also been added to Media Composer over time. Some specific news features that remained were based on legacy tape workflows. The most unique feature of NewsCutter—the NRCS (News Room Computer System) tool—is now available as an option for Media Composer. The Media Composer | NewsCutter Option enables you to open an iNEWS or ENPS interactive session within Media Composer, where you can view rundowns, scripts, and edit video to scripts by dropping selected text directly to the timeline. Additional displays and settings are now integrated into Media Composer, so all film, television, and news editors now have access to the same tools in one truly versatile application.

Q:  With a monthly subscription, can I use Media Composer on more than one computer if I’m at work and then want to take a project home on my laptop?

A: No. Whether you have a monthly or annual subscription, your Media Composer license can only be used on a single system | platform, whether you use a Mac or PC. Depending on your business, floating licenses can be an attractive and easy option for dynamically assigning licenses across your network and enabling editors to check out licenses for specific time periods. For more information, see the Media Composer Floating Licensing and Benefits Guide .

Q:  What happens to my software if I stop paying my monthly subscription?

A: If you allow a subscription to lapse, Media Composer will cease to function the next time it pings the authentication server at the beginning of your next renewal cycle. 

Q: What happens to my subscription license if I’m not connected to the Internet? Will my software stop working?

A: Not necessarily. The software pings the authentication server approximately every 30 days. As the system approaches the renewal date, Media Composer will send you daily reminders to connect to the Internet so that the license can be verified. 

Q:  Do I have to change the way I buy Avid software? Can I just continue to buy an upgrade when I need it?

A: If you have Media Composer but aren’t currently on an Avid Support plan, you should sign up for the yearly Avid Support renewal plan for $299 USD, which includes software upgrades/updates and support for one year from the date of purchase. That’s like paying for a single upgrade, but getting a whole year’s worth of updates and upgrades, plus a team of world-class support experts available when you need help. If you neglect to join the Avid Support plan in 2014 (or at the end of your support contract), you will have to purchase the product anew, or subscribe to a monthly or annual plan in order to continue to receive the latest features and support.

If you haven’t upgraded Media Composer recently (you own a release prior to Media Composer v6.5), you can effectively “upgrade” your license to v8 by purchasing an Avid Support renewal plan at $299 in 2014. This includes the Avid Support plan that provides software updates/upgrades and support for one year. At the end of that year, the software will continue to work, but to continue receiving new features and support, you will want to let the plan auto-renew yearly for $299 USD.

Q:  Will the Avid Support Plan prices be offered internationally? How will I buy?

A:  Yes.  You can buy directly from Avid or from your favorite reseller or distributor such as B & H and Videoguys.

Q:  How does this new license model work with other software I want, such as the Symphony Option, ScriptSync, and PhraseFind Options? 

A: Media Composer | Symphony Option, Media Composer | NewsCutter Option, Media Composer | ScriptSync Option, and Media Composer | PhraseFind Options are available to buy and own outright, as before. The Symphony Option is included in Media Composer monthly and annual subscriptions—along with a full bundle of third-party creative tools—starting at just $49.99/month USD. See the Media Composer Licensing Options Guide for prices for various Options and suites.

Q: How can I determine which Options I have already?

A:  You can verify what Options you have now for use with your Media Composer by logging into the My Account section at account.avid.com and choosing Your Downloads.  This will show you the items you have purchased and/or redeemed.  If you have a current version of the application installed you can launch the Avid Application Manager to see what options you have activated.

Q:  I like to buy Avid software, hardware, and support from my favorite reseller; will I still be able to do this or has this new subscription-based model ended that?

A: You will still be able to buy software, hardware, and Avid Support plans from your local reseller as before. However, monthly subscriptions are only available through the Avid Online Store. Avid resellers will continue to sell perpetual software licenses, as they’ve always done, while also offering annual subscriptions, yearly renewals, and floating licenses. 

Q:  What happens to my existing Avid Support plan under this new licensing system?

A: Your existing contract will continue to be honored. When the contract expires, you will have more options available for you to decide how your system will be licensed and supported. A basic level of Avid Support is now included as standard with all Avid license options. If you have additional support requirements, there are other Avid Support plans available to fit your needs. See the Media Composer Licensing Options Guide.

Q:  I’ve got multiple seats of Media Composer in my facility. Month-to-month subscriptions are going to be a management headache for me. Do you have a plan that makes sense for my business?

A: If your facility has 20 or more seats of Media Composer, then a floating license server is an excellent solution. We now offer floating licensing for Media Composer, enabling you to quickly and easily distribute licenses across your facility, on demand, from a single, centralized server running on your existing hardware (Windows OS). And because Media Composer editors can collaborate both locally and remotely, you can extend your production beyond the walls of your facility. Floating licenses can also be “checked out” for specific time periods by the system administrator when systems need to be taken off premises.  For more information, see the Media Composer Floating Licensing and Benefits Guide.

Q:  How do I manage a mix of license options with the floating license server? Can I have multiple software versions? 

A: You can buy smaller packs of licenses for Options such as Symphony, PhraseFind, ScriptSync, and Newscutter.  These Options are licensed separately by the server.  For added control, the Floating Server software will allow you to grant specific Options to individual machines on your network.

Q:  I travel a lot and need Media Composer to always work. If I’m not able to get network access, will my software still work?

A:  Yes, the software will attempt to contact the authentication servers approximately every 30 days. As your renewal period approaches, if your system has been unable to reach the servers, Media Composer will remind you to connect to the Internet for authentication. A grace period is also used so that there is adequate time to find a connection. If your Internet connectivity is frequently sparse, then the better option would be to buy a perpetual license, which will never expire. The choice is yours.

Q: My facility has a lot of freelance editors coming and going. I don’t feel a subscription model works well for my business. Do you have any other options?

A: With the new Media Composer | Software subscription and floating license offerings, you can now scale your workgroup as needed—even at a moment’s notice. Add additional Media Composer seats on a month-to-month basis when production demands extra editors, and scale them back between jobs. With floating licensing, you can quickly and easily distribute licenses across your facility, on demand, from a single, centralized server. And because Media Composer editors can collaborate both locally and remotely, you can extend your production beyond the walls of your facility.

Q:  If my facility uses floating licensing, can I take a laptop offsite away from the building and still access the software? 

A: Yes. To access licenses off-premises with a floating license system, the server administrator can assign a license to your system and allow it to be “checked out” for a period of time. Similar to a library, but with more control, the license can then be set to automatically “time out” at the end of a project.

Q:   What happens to all of the other software that came bundled with Media Composer, such as Avid FX, Avid DVD, Sorenson Squeeze, and Boris Continuum Complete? Are they available with any of these licensing options?

A: While many partner plug-ins and applications are available as “lite” versions included in Avid’s subscription offerings, full perpetual licenses for Avid FX (aka Boris Red), Sorenson Squeeze, iZotope Insight, and NewBlue Titler Pro v2 are available as part of the Avid Production Pack or available for individual purchase through the Avid Marketplace. Please note that since DVD production requirements have not changed in many years, Avid DVD is no longer been developed or sold.

AnchorQ: What is BCC Lite? What is different about it when compared to BCC? 

A: BCC Lite includes the most popular, highest-performing filters from BCC to give you expert effect creation right inside Media Composer. The filters include cover the four major filter categoris: Lights, Stylize, Color and Transitions.

• BCC Lens Flare 3D
    • BCC Scanline
    • BCC Colorize
    • BCC Swishpan Transition

Customers who wish to use the full suite of BCC filters can upgrade to BCC through Avid’s web store.

AnchorQ: What is Sorenson Squeeze Lite? What is different about it when compared to Squeeze Pro or Squeeze Standard?

A: Sorenson Squeeze Lite provides expert video encoding to some of the most popular formats for web publication. Customers that require the complete set of filters and encoding formats from Sorenson can upgrade to Squeeze Pro via Avid’s web store. Complete information regarding the difference between Squeeze Lite, Standard and Pro can be found here.

Q:  Is there a version of Media Composer that won’t “time out” if I don’t keep paying my monthly subscription fee? I don’t want to worry about the software no longer working if I’m without Internet access or I haven’t paid the monthly bill.

A: Yes, Avid offers you a choice between a low-cost monthly or annual subscription license, or a perpetual license that you can purchase and own outright. The main difference is that a monthly license offers a very low-cost way to add a Media Composer seat as needed, but will “time out” if you let your subscription lapse, while the perpetual license will function forever.  However, with a perpetual license, you will need to renew your annual support plan each year to ensure that you continue to receive the latest updates and access to world-class customer support if you need help

Q:  If I buy Media Composer outright (a perpetual license), how do I upgrade it? Will software patches and bug fixes be free like they’ve always been?

A: If you buy Media Composer, it includes standard Avid Support and software upgrades for one year after purchase. Following the first year, you should auto-renew your Avid Support plan to continue getting software updates and upgrades for another year. Fixes and new features are displayed in the Application Manager in Media Composer whenever new software or a patch is available for download.. If you cancel your auto-renewing Avid Support plan, you will have to purchase the product anew if you wish to continue receiving software updates and support..

Q:  I use a dongle to license my software; will that continue to work?

A: Yes. Dongles are supported as part of Avid’s perpetual license offerings as they are today. In this case, the only difference is that you will need to purchase a yearly Avid Support plan, which will provide new features, patches, and enhancements as well as access to standard Avid Support.

Q:  What is included with standard Avid Support and are there other support packages available? How is this different from Avid Support in the past?

A: Whether you’re utilizing the subscription and perpetual licensing Options, Avid Support plans are the same. In all cases, additional Avid Support Options are available to add to the included standard Avid Support package. Avid Elite Support provides unlimited phone and email incidents as well as hardware coverage. See the Media Composer Licensing Options Guide.

Q:  Do all new licenses regardless of the kind purchased (Floating, Perpetual or Subscription) come with support?

A:  Yes.  All new Media Composer products come with Avid Standard Support.  Outline of what support entails is located here:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/documents/datasheets/Media_Composer/Media_Composer_License_Comparison_Guide_cs_A4.pdf

Q:  If I convert from an existing Perpetual license to a Subscription model, will support be included?

A:  Yes.  Support comes with a conversion to Subscription.  

Q:  If I convert from an existing Perpetual license to a Floating License, will Avid Support be included?

A: No, Avid Support does not come with a Conversion to Floating Licensing.  A fee of $499 US MSRP per license will be applied to convert the license(s). Standard Avid Support can be purchased for $299 US MSRP per seat.

Q:   What if I wish to convert to Subscription or Floating Licensing but I have Avid Support now?

A:   You will receive Media Composer | Software as part of your valid contract on the Node Locked License. If you wish to convert to Subscription or Floating licensing, you will need to pay either the Annual Subscription fees or Conversion fees (respectively). Your Avid support contract will be  honored until it runs out, at which time you can renew your support at either the Standard Avid Support level or Standard Avid Support + Elite.

Q:  How much grace period do I have to renew my  Avid support contract once it expires before I would have to buy a new license?

A:   Customers are given 30 days to renew.   If the contract lapses more than 30 days then you will need to buy a new license.

Q:  Will Avid alert me when my renewal is coming up?

A:  Yes. Avid will notify customers via email at least 30 days prior to the contract’s expiration via email.  Depending on where you bought:

-  Avid reseller or Avid distributor -  then you will be notified by your reseller  or distributor that the contract is expiring.  if you don’t renew, Avid will contact you as well.

-  Avid Online Store - Avid will email you directly and the email notifications are triggered by your My Account at account.avid.com. 

Q:  Will I still be required to register my product?

A:  No, a separate registration process is no longer required or necessary. When you purchase from the Avid Online Store, or when you redeem your Activation Card in your My Account at account.avid.com, your product is automatically registered.

Q:   If I buy the Production Pack will this also be covered under my Avid Support contract?

A:    No. The editing application(s) is supported under your valid support contract.  The Production Pack is not.

Q:  I own BCC and Squeeze and would like to upgrade.  Does Avid offer an upgrade to these applications?

A:  Customers interested in advancing to the latest versions of BCC and Sorenson Squeeze should go to the Avid Online Store or Boris and Sorenson directly.

Q:  Is there an upgrade discount to go from BCC 8 to BCC 9 for Avid users?

A:  Yes. Borisfx is currently offering a 10% discount for Avid customers until midnight April 30th, 2014 on www.Borifx.com site.   Discount code:  nab2014 ( lowercase)

Upgrades:  Promo price: $539.10

New Purchase:  $1795.50

Q:  I am interested in the Subscription model.  Where can I buy this - and is it web only?

A:  Subscriptions are available for purchase a number of ways – not just via the Avid Online Store. 

Avid Online Store – Subscriptions are billed monthly; rates depend on the Subscription term commitment (Month-to-Month or Annual)      

- Avid Direct Sales or Channel Partners – Annual subscriptions are paid in full at the time of purchase; there is no monthly billing when purchased through either Avid Direct Sales or Channel Partners. Customers receive an Activation card that must be redeemed in their My Avid Account. The Subscription begins upon redemption, not at the time of purchase. Note: Monthly commitments are not available via Avid Direct Sales or Avid Channel Partners at this time.

Note:  Subscriptions are automatically set to auto-renew at the time of purchase. Customers must opt-out of auto-renewal.

Q:  What 3rd party applications are included with a Media Composer 8 license?

A:   The following outlines what products come with the different licensing models.               

▪   Perpetual and Floating

• NewBlue Titler v1
    • Sorenson Squeeze Lite Trial  (30 day trial)
    •  iZotope Insight Trial   (30 day trial)                 

▪   Subscription 

• NewBlue Titler v2 
    • Boris Continuum Complete Lite
    • Sorenson Squeeze Lite
    • iZotope Insight Trial   (30 day trial)

▪   Symphony Option

• Boris Continuum Complete Lite

▪   Production Pack

• Sorenson Squeeze
    • iZotope Insight
    • NewBlueTitlerPro v2

Q:  Will Avid be offering Avid DVD or Avid FX, or will we need to buy from a Third Party source?

A:  Avid will no longer be providing Avid DVD or Avid FX.  Avid DVD is no longer being developed, however customers moving up to Media Composer 8 should be able to utilize their existing Avid DVD application.  Avid FX ( Boris RED ) is no longer being bundled with Media Composer.  Customers that wish to move up to the latest version should contact www.Borisfx.com directly.

Q:   If I am a current Media Composer customer (dongle or SWL) and convert to Floating licenses, does my dongle /SWL get retired and returned to Avid?

A:   Yes – this is the same process as volume license conversion today. Customers must provide the System IDs being converted at the time of purchase. All converted licenses will be retired and will no longer be enabled for use. A return process for Dongles will be provided when the conversion licenses are delivered to the customer.

Q:   If I have a current Support contract on specific System ID’s, do they get moved over to my Floating Licenses?

A:   Yes the contract(s) moves over.

Q:  If I convert to Floating Licensing for $499/per seat USD do I also have to buy Avid Support if I do not have it at the time I convert the license?

A:   If you convert to Floating Licensing – Avid would need to move the  existing Avid Support contract to Floating License.  Today this is done manually through Avid Inside Sales.   

Q:  What quantities are Floating Licenses sold in?

A:  They are sold in packs of 20 and 50.

Q:  I work for a large corporation and we only use P.O.’s.  Can I buy a Subscription license with a Purchase Order?

A:  Yes – customers can order through Avid Inside Sales or through an Avid Reseller or Distributor.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 4 2014 3:10 PM In reply to

• Tom Woodward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 20 2010
    • Missouri
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Re: Updated Get Started Fast w/ Media Composer | Software FAQ

Marianna, am I correct in thinking that purchasing a support renewal plan would essentially allow me to upgrade my current Avid MC 7.0.4 to Symphony, along with the included Lite versions of the third-party plugins?

Also, what about Academic users?  Is it still possible to purchase a support renewal for $299 and essentially "upgrade" to a regular license?

For me, I purchased the Academic version of Avid four years ago, and I think my "free" version upgrade period has ended.  Back when Avid upgraded to MC7, they accidently switched Academic licenses over to MC7 Interplay licenses, which killed your ability to upgrade to the next iterations of the program, as is included with Academic licenses for four years from date of activation.  They later remedied the problem by offering a "downgrade" back to the Academic versions, so those users could continue receiving version upgrades as normal.

I was near the end of my free upgrade period, and figured I might as well stick with the Interplay license, at the time assuming I lucked out and received a free upgrade to a "regular" license.  Was I correct in assuming this?  And if Academic licensees can't upgrade to MC8 via the $299 support renewal path, would my license allow me to essentially bypass that restriction, as it is technically an Interplay license?

Thanks,

Tommy 

PC: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Motherboard, Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield OC'd to 3.9GHz, 12 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 triple channel, Quadro FX 580... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 17 2014 8:38 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

I am not sure if this is the right way or section of this noticeboard to ask this question:

Am thinking of finally getting Media Composer (am just at student level) but have reservations about downloading only a $1300 piece of software onto my computer as I often have problems with other software changing settings on it , and often have to reinstall OS/X. I am scared I will erase or accidentally lose the program. I keep hearing about a dongle (USB ?) that is used - but cant see anywhere to get it. Is this just to activate the software, not an actual copy of the program?

Is there anywhere  where you can get Media Composer on cd/dvd rom anymore ? Or do you just have to figure out your own way of backing it up? And will the software let you back it up or is there some kind of copy protection that stops this?

Sorry am not a professional editor so these may be stupid questions - should I have asked this somewhre else?

(Thats if this even gets seen in the first place)

Thanks,

Christopher330B.

• Tue, Jun 17 2014 8:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,047
    • Points 105,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Holas Christopher......

Of course it get's noticed as I subscribe to most forums here......  

The dongle first of all is a license key that does one task - when attached to the computer allows the application to launch.  It has nothign to do with where or how the application is stored on the computer or burned to a disk for safekeeping.

We dont offer MC on DVD or CD any longer so it would have to be created for you buy either a dealer if you chose to purchase that route or you can buy from the store and copy/burn it to a CD yourself.  Most often we keep the latest and greatest software on the server should you need it but that is never a failsafe bet.  Best to burn one.

You say you are at student level - does that mean you are a student?  If so, the cost of the program is much less however it is for learning and not for commercial use.  

HTH and I answered all your questions... if not, post again or email me directly

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 20 2014 6:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,047
    • Points 105,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tommy...

sorry just getting to this now as I see you emailed me....  

Tom Woodward:

Marianna, am I correct in thinking that purchasing a support renewal plan would essentially allow me to upgrade my current Avid MC 7.0.4 to Symphony, along with the included Lite versions of the third-party plugins?

Yes and you would be eligible for the thrid party items that come with a perpetual contract.  

Tom Woodward:

Also, what about Academic users?  Is it still possible to purchase a support renewal for $299 and essentially "upgrade" to a regular license?

For me, I purchased the Academic version of Avid four years ago, and I think my "free" version upgrade period has ended.  Back when Avid upgraded to MC7, they accidently switched Academic licenses over to MC7 Interplay licenses, which killed your ability to upgrade to the next iterations of the program, as is included with Academic licenses for four years from date of activation.  They later remedied the problem by offering a "downgrade" back to the Academic versions, so those users could continue receiving version upgrades as normal.

I was near the end of my free upgrade period, and figured I might as well stick with the Interplay license, at the time assuming I lucked out and received a free upgrade to a "regular" license.  Was I correct in assuming this?  And if Academic licensees can't upgrade to MC8 via the $299 support renewal path, would my license allow me to essentially bypass that restriction, as it is technically an Interplay license?

Academic student is still $295 but each year the student must verify their eligibility with identi-e and par a nominal upgrade fee for the year.  

If you already own an academic student license then the clock started ticking on the 4 years of free upgrades when you bought/registered it. I'm confused by your interplay comment as all Academic licenses - student, institution and teacher come with interplay option as an added bonus.  it is invisible to the user unless they wish to connect to an interplay enviroment whih many schools are doing.  ait doesnt do anything to the activation/upgrade ability or anything.  so that woud not cause this.  what I believe happened is that some tudent license upgrades where sent institution upgrades so the next time they attempted to upgrade - they were told they were ineligible. 

That got fixed.

I was able to locate your system ID and I see you have MC 7 but it is showing

ASY_UPG-MEDIA_COMPOSER7.0_EDU_INSTITUTION

Give this a try.......

go to your master account https://www.avid.com/US/account/accountinfo

then go to http://www.avid.com/US/support/upgrade-academic-free

enter your system ID and the activation ID from MC 6 ( starts with MCAA-)

If you cant find it - email me.

see if that works and nets you the MC 8 upgrade as your last one.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 20 2014 11:00 PM In reply to

• Tom Woodward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 20 2010
    • Missouri
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Marianna, thanks for your reply; I really appreciate your help on this.  How much would it cost to upgrade an Academic license to a regular one?

Thanks again,

Tommy Woodward

PC: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Motherboard, Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield OC'd to 3.9GHz, 12 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 triple channel, Quadro FX 580... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 25 2014 12:33 AM In reply to

Marianna,

As a happy MC 5 user I was planning on upgrading to 7/8 soon.  However it looks like your new business model has changed the landscape. Could you help with the following? I currently split one dongle between two systems, a laptop and a desktop. Can I continue to use this model? Will existing DVD copies of BCC and Avid FX be compatible with the new version? Finally this phrase is chilling: 'If you cancel your auto-renewing Avid support plan you will have to purchase the product anew...' So essentially if one doesn't pay $299/yr the software is disowned by you with no future chance of an upgrade? Your thoughts welcome, Regards, J
    MC v 8.3, dongle-activated. 1. HP xw8400 Workstation. Twin Intel® Xeon™ 5160 Dual Core. Windows 7 Pro. 4 GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro FX3500. 2. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 25 2014 3:50 AM In reply to

joepineapples:
    currently split one dongle between two systems, a laptop and a desktop. Can I continue to use this model?
    Yes

joepineapples:
    Will existing DVD copies of BCC and Avid FX be compatible with the new version?
    To the best of my knowledge BCC and Avid FX versions supplied with MC 5 were 32bit. MC 6 and later require 64 bit versions so I do not believe the MC 5 supplied versions of those programs will work.

joepineapples:
    So essentially if one doesn't pay $299/yr the software is disowned by you with no future chance of an upgrade?
    disowned no. You still own it (and can use forever) the latest version you had installed before your existing auto renew ran out. However you will not be able to upgrade that licence. You do have options at that point

1 Buy a full new version (you will then own 2 copies)
    2 Buy into the annual subscription option. (You have your existing outdated version plus 12 months of the latest versions)
    3 Buy into the monthly subscription option.  (You have your existing outdated version plus 1 month of the latest versions) 

In your case if you upgrade to the latest version before the end of 2014 and you will get all updates for 12 months following your upgrade date. (Might be smart not to upgrade till late December)

• Wed, Jun 25 2014 2:18 PM In reply to

Marianna,

So although it's double the price, one could conceivably buy the annual subscription for an upgrade  every few years and let it lapse when not needed?

It won't deactivate the system if not renewed?

Jon

MC v 8.3, dongle-activated. 1. HP xw8400 Workstation. Twin Intel® Xeon™ 5160 Dual Core. Windows 7 Pro. 4 GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro FX3500. 2. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 25 2014 2:54 PM In reply to

joepineapples:

Marianna,

So although it's double the price, one could conceivably buy the annual subscription for an upgrade  every few years and let it lapse when not needed?

It won't deactivate the system if not renewed?

Jon

Two license paths here:

PERPETUAL/SUPPORT - you keep your existing version, forever.  If you pay your $299 this year, you can take your existing v7-or-earlier license (v5 from your profile), and upgrade it to v8 (or whatever comes out during your support term).  You can upgrade to any version that gets released, for as long as you pay $299 a year for support.  When you stop paying, you keep your current version at the end of your support term.  You can NEVER upgrade that version again.  It will continue working, at that final version - you can use that version for as long as you want.  If you need the newest version after your support expires, your perpetual license no longer gives you an upgrade path.  You are, essentially, a new customer.  You can buy a new perpetual license at full price, or you can begin a subcription path.

SUBCRIPTION - this is entirely independent of your existing perpetual license.  Essentially, you get access to up to the most current version of the software, for either a month or a year.  When it expires, your software stops working immediately.  To use it again, you must subscribe for a new month, or a new year - and you'll once again have access to whatever the newest version is, at any time during your subscription.

So, in other words, if you're on perpetual and you lapse - your software will still work, but you must either buy a new license at full price, OR start a monthly/yearly subscription separately from your existing license, to get the newest version.  If you're on subscription and you lapse, your software stops working, immediately; to use the software again, and/or get the newest version, just subscribe for another month or another year.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.11.6, Avid Media Composer 8.8.1, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 25 2014 11:15 PM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Subscriptions are automatically set to auto-renew at the time of purchase. Customers must opt-out of auto-renewal.

Beware of this, for other accounts I've done the opt-out thingy only to find out later I got opted back in without me being aware.

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 26 2014 10:30 AM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 227
    • Points 3,085

I am a UK resellar of Avid and we can sell subscriptions as well as permanent licences.  As you would pay us for a year up front and not Avid they won't have any payment details so I can't see how they would automatically renew the subscription.  If they let you carry on but then present the bill to you later that would be silly too as they would suddenly need a whole debt chasing department to deal with it.  Are you sure this happens?

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 26 2014 1:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,047
    • Points 105,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Subscription monthly is only offered thru th Web Store or Avid Direct.   Resellers can sell yearly Subscriptions as well as perpetual licenses.  At least 30 days prior to the subscription renewal, the customer should get an email / call from the reseller indicating they should buy for the next year(s).  Avid will also email them if after a certain period of time, the custoemr doesnt renew just to make sure they have had all opportunites to renew.  if you buy from Avid or the Store, we email directly.

HTH

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Aug 30 2014 9:02 PM In reply to

Ooh-  I think I am lost.  I bought MC 5.5.1 back in 2011 and since then have not really used it (and haven't done the free upgrades).

Am I still able to do them and, if so, how do I go about it before the time runs out?

Please and thank you so much for a fantastic product.

• Sat, Aug 30 2014 9:26 PM In reply to

Hi MacBraveheart,

You have a few options:

1. Keep your existing license (which is a "perpetual license") as it is. You will lose the right to ever upgrade it after Dec 31, 2014, but it will still work.

2. Buy into the annual "perpetual license" renewal plan before Dec 31, 2014. This will get you the latest version of MC plus 12 months of upgrades, updates and support.

3. As 1., but you can rent a new MC license per month or per year. If you only need to use MC occasionally, it might be cheaper to rent it whenever you need it. Rented licenses expire of course.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller