Latest post Tue, Apr 22 2014 3:29 PM by kazadjonas. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 15 2014 10:31 AM

Different Audio Output then Video Output

Hi,

I recently got a Blackmagic Ultrastudio SDI (USB 3.0) which I'm using on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012.

The video runs perfectly, even scrubbing in the timeline works fine (I heard this could be a problem due to the USB chipset), but I couldn't get any audio out of my Focusrite firewire interface when I use them at the same time.

Google says that you simply can't separate the video and audio output when using the Ultrastudio SDi.

BUT: When I'm using Blackmagic Media Express (which came with the hardware), I can just select my firewire interface in the OS X settings and it works - video via Blackmagic, audio via Focusrite.

I then tried it in Adobe Premiere. When I select the Ultrastudio as video output (which also works perfectly), I can't choose the Focusrite as audio device within the Premiere settings. BUT: I can select the standard (system) output. When I now select the Focusrite within the OS X settings, I get the Premiere audio out of my Focusrite interface - perfect!

Unfortunately Avid is a whole different story. If I plug in the Blackmagic and start MC the video works fine, again.
    But MC wouldn't even let me change the audio hardware from the Blackmagic to smth. else. So the workaround above doesn't work here. So if it plays back video thru the Ultrastudio, it MUST also play back the audio thru it.

Is there any chance I can force Avid to use another audio device? Or would be the only way to buy an adapter which extracts the audio from the HDMI signal of the Ultrastudio? Unfortunately the Ultrastudio doesn't have an extra audio output but HDMI an SDI. Right now my HD monitor is just hooked up via HDMI.

Thanks!

Jonas

• Tue, Apr 15 2014 1:22 PM In reply to

Re: Different Audio Output then Video Output

This is the same as with other Avid open I/O devices.  You can't separate them.  Besides, you will not get audio sync when you separate the sound.  Yes, it will sound close, but it won't be exact as when using the same hardware to output both.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Tue, Apr 22 2014 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: Different Audio Output then Video Output

OK, thanks. I got this now.

I bought an HDMI Audio Extractor that separates the audio via toslink/SPDIF. So I go with SPDIF into my Focusrite interface. Works fine!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller