Latest post Wed, Mar 26 2014 8:21 AM by Marianna. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 23 2014 3:43 PM In reply to

Re: Importing graphics - jpegs, png etc...

I still might consider creating a slide show video of the jpg's in Gold then importing it into MC to add masks and other effects. I expect that you will get the quality you are after and maybe save a little time. I haven't done this yet so I can't speak with certainty. I expect that Douglas will have a tutorial on this at some point. You might want to check with him.

MC 7, ASUS P6X58D-E mobo, Intel i7 980 3.2GHz, 24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM, Quadro 2000D, Dual monitors (23" 16x9 and 19" std), W7-Pro 64 bit (SP1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:06 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I´m always trying to do it all in Avid, I feel like I have both better control and gets the quality I want, also keeps my Avid skills updated and I doesn´t need to learn any other applications.

Besides, using a third party application gives me zero possibilities to adjust something later on from inside of Avid if needed. 

Kenton have already told about his workflow, I use that one myself with first using the origin images on the sequense, remember to add leeways before adding them, and then adding either Avid or BCC P&Z upon that still and after that link to all the origin stills.

I have created image sequenses up against 100 stills this way, with some practising one still, ready with movements and all, takes below 2 minutes for me so maybe 30 - 45 stills per hour.

The time for the finetuning, that you cannot do in Avid if you are using something external, can of course vary from almost zero time to days and more days depending on what you want to do but same goes for using a thirdparty application, besides, without knowing anything about just this earlier mentioned application, I doubt that you can use, for example, Boris or Sapphire transitions between the stills if you happen to have these filters available on your system.

So my advice to Mike is, go Avid all the way and learnd how to handle this in Avid, maybe you find that you want to use only a couple of stills in some future project and as you now already have learned how to do this you will get the views that you want rather fast and with good quality.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:26 AM In reply to

I agree with Tomas, and also would do a slide show in MC.  I use the tip Kenton mentioned to keep track of what goes where, and use BCC Pan & Zoom for the moves.  The BCC effect - once you've viewed their YouTube tutorial of how to use it - is much easier to use, and gives you more control over the moves themselves.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 12:08 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Yes I agree absolutely - I have started using the technique Kenton suggested - all the stills were 'storyboarded' on the timeline anyway (it's how I began the project) with good leeway.  All I have to do is replace the 3D warp effect I started placing on each (to correct size and ratios etc) with the P&Z and load in the graphic again . I whisked through about a third of them in around an hour, so really easy.  The  real 'editing' and adding (other) effects and so on will be far easier to do in MC for what I have in mind.

So far I have only used Avid Pan and Zoom (learn one at a time - start with the easiest!), but for the next batch I will try the BCC P&Z.

I am absolutely delighted with the results and the way it works - my only problem is - 'why on earth didn't I ask the question sooner!'

You have to admit though, using P&Z to import graphics really isn't something one would do intuitively ... using  'Import' and selecting a graphic option would surely be the intuitive way to get stills into a project?  That's what I (incorrectly) assumed anyway.

Once this project is done, I am definitely going to set up a test project and go through every single effect exploring what it does and how...  so far I have only used a very small handful of them, and incorrectly or unnecessarily for some by the look of it! (No need to use 3d warp to resize imported images for example!).

I really do appreciate all the help here.  Many thanks!

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 12:40 PM In reply to

Mike Shaw:
    You have to admit though, using P&Z to import graphics really isn't something one would do intuitively ... using  'Import' and selecting a graphic option would surely be the intuitive way to get stills into a project?

"Intuitive" is not an objective quality.  What's not intuitive to you may make perfect sense to someone else.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 5:46 PM In reply to

FWIW for Avid P $ Z  (or BCC) slide shows

I import all of the graphics at a duration at least 4 seconds longer than I think I will need.
    In the Graphics Bin I choose Script view
    Select all of the clips and set the in points 2 seconds into the clips and Outs 2 seconds before the end. (In script view all clips can be set isimultaneously
    Change the bin to frame view and arrange the clips in the order I want and drag to the timeline.
    Ignoring that these graphics are all weird sizes due to the Avid import I add music and trim the clips as desired.
    Drag this timeline to the Source monitor and edit the A and V tracks into a new timeline.
    Then edit the video track into the timeline a second time from the start on V2
    Add a P+Z to the first clip and do not import a source. 
    Set View to Target (or source if you prefer to work that way.) Your motion Parameters to Linnear (or Ease in, Ease out etc as desired.) Source has Square pixels, Source has RGB levels Render - Progressive .  I also set a keyFrames at the start and end with a 15% zoom in.  (this is making a P&Z template.)

Drag the P& Z effect you have just created to a bin.
    Select all clips on V1 and double click on the P&Z effect you just dragged to your bin. All clips on V1 now hav a P&Z effect on them. ( V2 has the original graphics and can be use as a reference by monitoring that track if yo need to)

Step through the timeline opening each P&Z and Importing the source Image (Graphic name shows on the clip on V2) Fine tune Zoom and position parameters.

Delete V2 and fine tune the clip durations.
    Add transitions as desired.  (for rush jobs I set an In half way into clip 1 and an Out half way through the last clip and the ad a Film dissolve to Clips In to Out)

Housekeeping for this before I start I put all required graphivs in a single folder. This folder resides in  this"Projects Assets folder with a known Drive path.  

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 7:16 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Some extremely useful tips in there Andrew - thanks! 

I have already got all the clips in their correct order on the timeline, each with a 2 seconds start and finish leeway, but haven't done the 'global' in and out point setting you suggest - that will be my next job.  Also, since all images will now need the P&Z filter applied, that's another good tip to apply a template filter to the lot in one go.  I do have all the stills in three folders (for pre-occasion, occasion, post-occasion as it were) - and they've been ordered correctly in the folders and numbered accordingly as part of the preparation work, so I probably won't need to go the two-video track route, but I definitely can see the benefit of that technique.

The other thing is, this won't be a 'conventional' slide show - a la Ken Morse:  I plan on creating a variety of combinations of stills and interactions between them - for example one still of a group of people will have a circle closing in on one person's head,  then that will shift a little to a new position to be over the same person's head (the 'hero' of the piece) on another still, where it will fluid morph to the new head in the same size of circle in the new still which then opens out to the full still image.  Probably sounds pretty awful, but I have tried it in a test run and it is in fact very effective. And it fits in with the continuity of the 'story' being told.  There are also many stills which lend themselves to the 'masking the foreground' technique -whereby the foreground moves slightly against the background. 

But, going back, as I say there are some very useful tips in your post which I have taken on board - and made a note of for future use.

Many thanks for tasking the trouble to pass them on!

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 7:32 PM In reply to

No Problem Mike

As with all tips anyone can take just the parts of the tip that are relevant to them
    Marking all clips with Ins (and Outs) can be useful in a variety of situations
    Making an existing effect into a Template by dragging it to a bin (some effects need a Modifier Key with the Drag to have the effect saved without Source Material ) I find this one to be constantly useful

• Tue, Mar 25 2014 7:42 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Mike Shaw:
    I don't have PhotoShop but use the lesser Paint Shop Pro
    Have a look at "The Gimp" ;-)

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Mar 25 2014 10:23 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Downloaded!  Looks a pretty powerful programme.  I'll explore it more when I have time...

• Tue, Mar 25 2014 1:19 PM In reply to

Yeah, if you're dealing with a ton of images, Avid is the worst NLE to use.  Premiere Pro, Edius, FCP7 or X, all can do these 'slideshows' faster and easier and without sacrificing any resolution.  I suppose if you had any other NLE, of course, you'd know that by now.. so I won't go into a huge discussion about it.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Tue, Mar 25 2014 8:58 PM In reply to

Andrew, your workflow is just what I'm looking for but, excuse my ignorance, how do you mark global in and out points in script view?

MC8.5.1; Asus P9X79; Intel QuadCore i7 3820 3.6Ghz; 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro K2000, driver 353.82; W7 Home Premium 64bit; Quicktime 7.7.3; Hitachi 250GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 25 2014 9:11 PM In reply to

Hi Derek, here is a description on setting multiple In and Outs

With your graphics bin in script view select all clips you want use. Press G to clear all marks (My test was on clips some of which had already used)
    Press T to set marks at both ends. Press Q to go to mark in. Press 2 as many times as you want (to move forward 10 frames each press) press I to mark in
    Press W to go to out. Press 1 as often as you want to go back 10 frames each time. Press O to Mark out.

All clips are now marked IN and Out with enough top or tail for your transitions.

This description was written originally based on importing all clips at a, known, fixed duration.

• Tue, Mar 25 2014 9:31 PM In reply to

Excellent - thanks for the blow by blow description.  Going off to play now...

Derek

MC8.5.1; Asus P9X79; Intel QuadCore i7 3820 3.6Ghz; 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro K2000, driver 353.82; W7 Home Premium 64bit; Quicktime 7.7.3; Hitachi 250GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 25 2014 10:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,945
    • Points 214,810
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mjolnarn:
    Besides, using a third party application gives me zero possibilities to adjust something later on from inside of Avid if needed.

Doing a slideshow in a third party application does not need to involve MC at all. The third party application I am talking about is a highly professional application that allows for all the adjustments from within the apllication.

mjolnarn:
    I have created image sequenses up against 100 stills this way, with some practising one still, ready with movements and all, takes below 2 minutes for me so maybe 30 - 45 stills per hour.

I made the following slideshow in 3 minutes! Then I needed a further 8 minutes to make some adjustments.

SLIDESHOW

For the topic of the slideshow, simple Pan and Zooms alone would have been very boring and would have taken a lot longer to do than the slide styles and transitions I was able to do in a total of 11 minutes from start to finish.

mjolnarn:
    besides, without knowing anything about just this earlier mentioned application, I doubt that you can use, for example, Boris or Sapphire transitions between the stills if you happen to have these filters available on your system.

There is an almost unlimited choice of transitions and styles avaiable from within the application. No need to buy 3rd party applications.

However, Mike has found a suitable workflow from within MC. I am glad to hear that.
    A lot depends on what he wants to achieve. A lot also depends on what he wants his final result to look like.

My reason for coming back here was that someone, who has, by his own admission, no idea of what the application I was referring to can do - dismisses it as practically a waste of time.

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller