Latest post Fri, Jan 10 2020 6:45 PM by mnbkyle. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 21 2014 8:23 PM

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

Failed to get temporal offset

Hi,

sometimes we get the "Failed to get the temporal offset" error when we AMA - consolidate footage or when we batch consolidate a sequence. 

It comes up on completely new clips but also on clips which have already been consolidated and edited while relinking and uprezzing the sequence. 

We have MC 7.0.3 and use PDW U2 via USB3.0. (should be fast enough) PDW Software 4.0.3 and XDCAM AMA Plugins: 3.21

When I copy the clips to my desktop I can ama link them.

Any Ideas?

40 workstations HP and DIY, WIN 10 64bit MC 2018.12.3 Elements Shared Storage 720TB Arista 40GbE Backbone, 10 GBaseT Clients. Editshare shared storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 19 2019 5:24 PM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 13 2018
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

Re: Failed to get temporal offset

I'd really like to hear from anyone else that is experiencing this problem. Things have moved on since 2014 but the issue now plagues us.

Workflow:

Insert XDCam (optical disc) into PDW-U2 device > Link AMA > Transcode DNxHR LB

Errors:

Exception: Failed to get the sample size from AMA Plugin

Exception: Failed to get temporal offset from AMA Plugin

This error hits when trying to play, consolidate or transcode the clips. Some clips are fine, other clips are not. In some case, all clips on the XDCam cannot play, consolidate or transcode.

Another thing to add is what we see in the console when we try to play the clips:

BuildPipes Concurrency Alert - BuildPipes starting with BuildPipes in progress!

Workaround:

Copy the entire disc contents to the desktop and AMA link from there. This is error free but takes adds a significant amount of time and impacts our clients.

Faster Workaround:

Import the MXF files into avid at native res (XDCAM HD 50mbits) then transcode to desired offline res (DNxHR LB)

Both workarounds impact our clients and i cannot understand why we all of a sudden have this issue when trying to AMA directly off the optical disc.

Software in use:

XDCam Drive Utility 5.1.0.10 (latest)

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.7 (latest)

Nablet XAVC XDcam AMA Plugin 4.5.9 (latest)

We've also tested this on various versions of Avid Media Composer all the way up to the latest 2019 download. Also on many machines in our facility which are a variety (HPZ440 Z800 Z420 etc) See attached screenshot of the error.. [:'(]

• Fri, Sep 20 2019 2:57 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 642
    • Points 8,040

I've seen this sort of thing before with other optical drives (not necessarily XDCam) and we concluded it had something to do with the time it takes for the drive to spin up and read the data. 

It was a long time ago so my memory is a bit dim, but I think we found a small utility which kept polling the optical disk (ie. reading a small file on the optical disk every few seconds) which seemed to help keep the drive 'alive'.

In the end we opted for copying the media to more reliable medium such as a hard disk (which we needed to do for backup purposes anyway) which are far superior when it comes to read speeds and seek times.

Optical disk is a dying technology as far as aquisition is concerned, so it's not going to get the software development into the future. I would suggest you do what the rest of have to do with many media cards and copy the footage off to something like a RAID array.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 22 2019 9:38 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 540
    • Points 6,420

I would suggest that you consolidate XDCAM instead of transcoding.

Maybe you wanna backup the xdcam media to tape or harddrive and recycle the expensive optical media.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 23 2019 7:53 AM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

Hi Bruno,

Unfortunately copying the files to an array isn't an option for us. The clients shoot directly on / or export to XDCam and it's shelved forever and never re-used. This is why the discs are used, as with data backups we would have to retrieve media from previous series from LTO and re-ingest.

I was really hoping there's something I'm missing here. Still got my fingers crossed there's something that can be tuned to make the problem go away, as we've been AMA / Transcoding from XDCams for years and never had this problem before (so why now is also my question).

• Mon, Sep 23 2019 7:56 AM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

Hi Lukas,

The error is also there when we try to consolidate i'm afraid. The only option that seems to work is importing them then transcode to DNxHR LB but we can't continue to do that as it takes longer.

As i said to Bruno, we've been AMA / Transcoding from XDCams for years and this has never been a problem so I'm hoping there's something that needs a fine tune to make the problem go away.

A console command or setting perhaps?

• Mon, Sep 23 2019 9:52 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 642
    • Points 8,040

MylesOSS:
    I was really hoping there's something I'm missing here. Still got my fingers crossed there's something that can be tuned to make the problem go away, as we've been AMA / Transcoding from XDCams for years and never had this problem before (so why now is also my question).

I think if you're set on continuing to work this way, You need to try and ascertain when the problem started and what could have caused it. 

When you say it happens on all your machines, is this with a completely different set of components, or is some piece of hardware common to all the workstations (eg the PDW-U20)?

A failing drive unit (or cable) could explain the problem.

Are all your machines connected to a network or some sort of shared storage? Try removing these from one workstation and re-test.

Have you upgraded all your workstations with new software/versions of software?

Given that all your machines are now misbehaving (and were once all behaving correctly) it shouldn't be that hard to trace the common factor.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 9:45 AM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

You're definitely correct with all your comments above. We have exhausted quite a bit of that. The only thing I'd say we haven't tried is removing one of the workstations from the network and trying that. Although, with previous (unrelated) issues we've never seen removing machines from the network help solve the issue.

The U2's are sometimes hired in large amounts for mass processing and we see the error hit the hired units as well as our own ones. The only thing common to all our workstations that comes to mind is our recent upgrade to MC 2018.12.7. I wonder if the way the data is being called cannot be properly handled by media on an optical disc?

If hypothetically that was the case, I imagine Avid have made some changes in which the way data is called during consolidate/transcode to speed up the process. Which i guess works well for HDDs and SSDs but plays havoc on laser heads?

It's a subject we're definitely keen to hear from others about if there's anyone experiencing the same issue as well please do provide your say. And thanks Bruno, there's a lot of food for thought with what you've said.

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 9:49 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 540
    • Points 6,420

*you can import and not have errors/dropouts in the video? you've done this with many clips?

*Can you isolate a single short clip that won't consolidate?

Test it with another plugin inside avid, like the .mxf or avid generic plugin.

* For testing, try consolidating to the Desktop/System drive.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:15 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 642
    • Points 8,040

MylesOSS:
    The only thing common to all our workstations that comes to mind is our recent upgrade to MC 2018.12.7.

This seems a good place to start.

Did you see the Readme for 2018.12?

Under the section 'Limitations' there's this entry...

Bug Number: MCDEV-9011. Intermittently, when working with the XDCAM Nablet Plug-in, you might see “Failed to get the sample position from the AMA Plug-in” errors if you have waveforms enabled in the Timeline.

• Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:18 PM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

Indeed we did, and although there isn't a sequence loaded and the timeline was never in use, we still made sure waveforms were turned off anyway but unfortuntaely it didn't help. Sad

• Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:37 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 540
    • Points 6,420

Yeah, wheter the timeline displays waveform really shouldn't matter during transcode.

I think the question is, wether the problem comes from the avid plugin or the XDCAM driver/firmware.

Is the problem random or specific to certain clips?

• Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:44 PM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

It's very random and sporadic. Some clips raise the error on some machines and on others they don't. On the 'other' machines, we find different clips from the same roll may raise the error instead. With some rolls, we find the same clips raise the error without fail every time.

• Fri, Jan 10 2020 6:45 PM In reply to

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 15 2015
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 57
    • Points 660

This thread deals with similar issues that I have just gone through this past week. Here is my forum I created with my solution at the end:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/198640/890080.aspx#890080

My problem ended up being a bad nablet plugin and I had to revert to an old one (Nablet XAVC XDCAM 4.0.3). I think Nablet XAVC XDCAM 5.0 is to blame. Could be the solution for your problem as well?

ISIS 5500 4.7.13, Avid Media Composer various versions. z840, z420, imac trashcans [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller