Latest post Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:30 PM by JD Marlow. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 16 2014 7:55 PM

Corrupted Spanned Markers and Bin

I'm unsure if these two problems are related, though i suspect they are.

First... I added a bunch of spanned markers to all my interview clips. At some point during the edit (over the past month or so) on one clip my spanned markers started multiplying. I opened the clip one morning and there were over 7000 makers listed in the marker window- the majority of them were duplicates.

Last night I opened the same clip and suddenly there were over 27000 markers (i have screen grabs of the marker window)

Although it was strange behavior there were no warnings or error messages at any point. I was able to delete the spanned marker copies and continue editing...

All of sudden last night i was unable to open my bin that holds my old sequence copies. This morning i was unable to open either that bin or the bin containing my newest sequences. (i get the "unable to open file"/ "domain_copyout_failed error")

The attic was of no help as all the files there appear to be corrupted too...

I have tried everything to try to get the bin to open- different computers, different users, deleting the databases, trying to open the bin in a new project... nothing is working. I realize the likelihood is that the work is lost, but i figured i'd try posting here and see if anyone had any great ideas.

at the very least the spanned marker issue may be a bug and i wonder if anyone else has seen this behavoir...

thanks all!

8.8.3, HPZ240, i7-6700 3.4ghz, Win7, 32gb, QuadroK2200 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 16 2014 10:28 PM In reply to

Re: Corrupted Spanned Markers and Bin

Silly question. Could you possibly have a sticky Alt (or Ctrl) key on your KB?

• Sun, Mar 16 2014 11:00 PM In reply to

No, it can't be stuck.  I was editing for many hours yesterday, so it wouldn't have been able to stay stuck...

Also, i deleted all the spanned locators and they keep magically reappearing in the clip after the project is open for a while.

8.8.3, HPZ240, i7-6700 3.4ghz, Win7, 32gb, QuadroK2200 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 16 2014 11:15 PM In reply to

OK I just wondered as I have recently had 2 different timelines (with Spanned markers) where Ctrl Z would occassonally runaaway undoing all the edits for the last 1 hour. Leaving me with no Redo options! The Attic quickly became my new best friend. I suspected a stuck key but have not been able to confirm this

• Thu, Aug 28 2014 7:27 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 383
    • Points 5,005

I've just experienced this problem in v8.1 on Mac OS 10.9.4. Three spanned markers show up as thousands in the Marker window and the system seems to want to load them forever until I have to force quit. At first I though some corrupt media was slowing down my system but now I see a correlation between Avid hanging and clips with spanned markers.

It's definitely not a stuck keyboard button.

I've lost several hours troubleshooting this issue. Can someone else confirm this problem? Just add a few spanned markers and open the Marker window. What shows up?

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq78zjih2dw94fv/Markers.jpg?dl=0

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.5 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14.3, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 28 2014 9:38 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 383
    • Points 5,005

A few more tests:

- I tried creating new spanned markers on clips that didn't have any, and they behaved normally.

- Clips with corrupted spanned markers will hang the software as soon as I open the Markers window. Avid can't handle clips with 10,000+ markers, not that it should.

- Bins containing enough of these corrupted spanned marker clips will become too big for Avid to open (100MB+), resulting in failure to open bin.

I don't know how to delete all the bad markers without opening the Markers window, other than reimporting the file as a new clip.

I still have no idea how so many clips got corrupted markers in the first place.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.5 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14.3, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 27 2014 12:59 PM In reply to

hey.

i have encountered the same problem.
    fortunately it was possible to restore an older version of the affected bins.
    unfortunately it means all the markers and notes associated with the clips are lost.

have you found a way of deleting the Markers?
    whenever i try to do it manually through the Markers Window - AVID crashes.

any help appreciated.

• Wed, Oct 1 2014 2:11 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

I just experienced this issue today.  My experience is outlined below:

ISSUE:

I noticed that the bin containing the corrupted footage (DNxHD36 transcoded from AMA'd Alexa ProRes4444 clips) was taking a long time to open then save, and the size had ballooned to 27MB (was previously under 2MB).
    3 clips in this bin had between 3 - 12 spanned markers on them.  However, the marker window had duplicated these markers to the point that one clip had over 12,000 duplicates.  I was unable to delete the duplicates (application would hang).
    To resolve the issue I deleted the clips and re-transocoded them.  The rest of the clips in the bin were .sync clips with spanned markers and had no issues.
    What let me to hunt down the corrupted clips was that two bins that had sequences referencing the corrupt clips failed to open this morning.  I received a "DOMAIN_COPYOUT GetIllegalTag:95" error.  Creating a new project and copying the bin into it did not fix the issue.  I had to retrieve copies from the attic to continue working.
    System specs:  Avid MC 7.0.4, OS 10.9.3, EditShare 15TB storage system, iMac 3.4GH i7, 32GB of RAM. Avid - is this a known bug? 
  • Wed, Oct 1 2014 3:27 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 383
    • Points 5,005

I was in touch with Avid support last month regarding this issue. I sent them my bins and they could see the problem, but neither tech support nor I were able to reproduce the problem at will, making it impossible to pin down. I've been avoiding spanned markers ever since.

Perhaps if more people call in it will be escalated as a bug.

• Wed, Oct 1 2014 3:53 PM In reply to

Hi.

Please send an email to Marianna Montague:

marianna.montague@avid.com 

She will help you to resolve your issue or wait, she returned to work.

CV

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Thu, Oct 2 2014 3:39 PM In reply to

We are keeping an eye on this in engineering. A month ago I saw the issue where the spanned marker was duplicated hundreds of times in the marker tool window (existing spanned, not new ones)  as was mentioned here, but have not been able to reproduce it since. It's something I am actively looking/testing for but haven't found a reliable 'trigger' for the behavior (yet).

Best, Christie

Christie Carr

Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer

• Sat, Dec 6 2014 2:07 AM In reply to

• RalphFoster
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 84
    • Points 965

I'm getting this too on Avid 7.0.4, OSX 10.9.4 (and 10.9.5) with Artist Mix EuPhonix EuControl 3.1.3

This is happening on AMA quicktme mp4 files (they are fairly long some of them, hence the reason not to transocde them until we've picked out the bits we want).

In some cases, if I can get the Marker window open, I am able to delete the duplicate spanned markers in chunks of duplicates and get the size of the bins down enough to save and not loose anything.  I can't go back to a fresh attic bin before the corruption as I put down spanned markers on the first day of AMA linking.  

Deleting markers from the composer seems impossible as each one you delete just reveals another duplicate.  Did anybody find a work around for removing all the markers without the marker window? 

Christie, I would really like to use spanned markers but not if it risks corrupting all the bins that a particular master clip is referenced in (subclips and sequences seemed to be affected also once the bin size got out of hand).  Is this ony related to AMA clips? And are you any closer to determing a fix or preventative measure in later versions of MC?

Hoping we find a solution. 

MC 8.8.5 OS X v10.11.5 QT 7.6.6 on Local USB3 RAID [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 10 2014 8:17 PM In reply to

Ralph - I replied to your other message, and don't see it posted here, so will repeat. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Yes, there was a fix for this issue a few weeks ago, but it only went into 8.3. I don't think there are plans to back it into 7.x.  I wish I had better news for your current project. This was tricky because it didn't reproduce consistently.

Best, Christie

Christie Carr

Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer

• Wed, Dec 10 2014 8:49 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

It's fixed in 8.3?  Awesome!  Now we just need 8.3 to be released.  Big Smile

Michael

• Wed, Mar 25 2015 5:31 PM In reply to

Hi Christie,

so can you confirm this bug was solve in Avid 8.3?
    Can I use this function for my next projects using Avid 8.3 without corrupting my work?

Best

Jacopo 

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller