Latest post Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:11 PM by luca.mg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 14 2014 6:11 PM

serial port in use error

Recently moved offices so I had to do a quick and dirty setup of my system just to keep things running until the space is figured out.  I have my PC with Vista, Nitris DX, MC 5.0.4 and a Panasonic 1200A DVCPRO HD deck.  I have a serial-USB keyspan hooked up and HD-SDI & SD-SDI. 

When I go to deck configuration and add the channel (Direct on Com 3) it can't autoconfigure.  When I manually add the deck and click OK it will sometime give me either of these two errors: Serial port in use or serialio_err_control.  Sometimes it won't give an error at all.  But either way I have no deck control to capture or record.

Any ideas?

• Sat, Mar 15 2014 6:41 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Re: serial port in use error

Did it work previously? Anything changed in the meanwhile? Automatic updates off? The Keyspan/Avid combo is finicky about the driver.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Mar 15 2014 7:08 PM In reply to

The driver is my initial suspect as well.  I believe that I did update some things on windows just before the move, so I may have to roll-back the driver

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 6:09 PM In reply to

So I took another look.  The Keyspan website only has their most recent drivers -- I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still no luck, though I'm not getting the busy error anymore.  I'm using the Keyspan USA-19H.  Is there someplace where I can find older drivers?

When I open MC, the Keyspan Assistant program says that it's idle (confirmed by its blinking light).  When I go to deck configuration and set it to Direct>Com 3, Keyspan Assistant says that it's now busy (confirmed by a solid light).  But MC still isnt' seeing either deck when I plug them in (Panasonic 1200A DVCPRO HD & Sony UVW1800 beta decks).

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:09 PM In reply to

Mystery Solved.  During the move the RS232 - RS422 signal adapter was disconnected from the Keyspan adapter.  Sometimes it's the stupid little things that drive you crazy...

• Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:11 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Good news!

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller