Latest post Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:40 PM by videoguy. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 9 2014 11:47 AM

• SeanMozz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 8 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

My next PC, what should it be? (HELP! Rather confused.)

Hi all! So my journey to be an editor took a boost recently and I'd like to latch onto that by getting to grips as much as possible outside the workplace too, and as such my home computer, which was in dyer need of replacing anyway, needs to be refreshed! I need a capable  PC that can run Avid rather well so I can take work home. It has to be a capable bit of kit. I would also appreciate a computer that can handle gaming smoothly also, if at all possible to get both in the mix.

However! I am no expert by ANY means. My research over the last few days has accomplished nothing but send my head into a tizzy. I would appreciate any sort of help, guidance or advice massively as I am useless with the technical mumbo. 

Price at the mo not crucial, but here are the contenders I have been looking at: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBOX-Warrior-Multimedia-78LMT-USB3-Motherboard/dp/B007PBHLHM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=18V9E50TY83426X0RV7X

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBOX-Ultra-Multimedia-Overclocked-Piledriver/dp/B007PBHEC4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=18V9E50TY83426X0RV7X

Though if you have ANY recommendations for the needs I suggested they will be considered extremely carefully. Many thanks in advance all you brainy lot! 

-S

Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Mar 9 2014 1:23 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

Re: My next PC, what should it be? (HELP! Rather confused.)

Thought I'd give you some of my own requirements, for what they're worth:

1-Thunderbolt 2-the more t-bolt busses, the better. Most PC's are only offering 1 or 2 ports on 1 bus, but, T-bolt is a MUST have

2-nVidia Quadro video card-better with two cards

3-Intel is getting ready to release a new processor to follow Haswell. Might be worth the wait

4-USB3.0-goes without saying

5-SATA III-6Gbps thruput

6-SATA III SSD-Samsung EVO 1 Tb SSD is really fast

7-Promise Pegasus t-bolt RAID external enclosure

8-NLT 16Gb RAM

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Sun, Mar 9 2014 3:19 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,491
    • Points 64,420

I'd say go for the most powerful hardware You can afford. Try to clone a supported system as for chipset/CPU, and please consider a Xeon CPU.

cuervo:

Avid does not need two cards, unless You want to run a three monitors setup, and be aware that Quadro cards do not work in SLI.

Mixing gaming and editing doesn't sound as a sound choice, You may want to have a double boot system, with a gaming setup and an editing setup.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Mar 9 2014 3:56 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

luca.mg:

cuervo:

Avid does not need two cards, unless You want to run a three monitors setup, and be aware that Quadro cards do not work in SLI.

Mixing gaming and editing doesn't sound as a sound choice, You may want to have a double boot system, with a gaming setup and an editing setup.

yeah, I know. But, these days, without that second GPU, other apps take a big hit. It's not just for gaming. Davinci Resolve, for example, really benefits from having that second GPU. It's what's coming. If MC doesn't implement it, they might be even more behind than they are now. I hate to see the inroads that Premiere Pro and FCP are making, these days.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Sun, Mar 9 2014 5:17 PM In reply to

SeanMozz:
    Though if you have ANY recommendations for the needs I suggested they will be considered extremely carefully. Many thanks in advance all you brainy lot! 

.- AMD/ATI (MoBo, Processor AND Video cards) are NOT supported, nor recommended, specially the video cards.

Why people does not look for AVID system requirements first is beyond me.

Here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en422411

The best recommendation you can get?

Stick with these specs, buy one of the recommended systems or make/find something as close as possible to them.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Sun, Mar 9 2014 6:52 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

The closer one sticks to a tested, approved system the less problems one is likely to encounter. Does that mean one can't make MC run on a AMD/ATI system? No, but expect a)problems & b) no support from Avid.

videoguys has published DIY guides for PC NLE systems for years. Not the worst reference. IIRC, Mariana has published useful information pinned at the top of one of these forums (getting started?). 

MC for the most part uses the CPU more than the GPU. Faster clock speeds trump extra cores for any given price point.--not an endorsement of 3.6ghz single core xeons.  ;)  Some other programs (e.g. video compression, Adobe Pr/Ae) you may install will benefit from a big GPU more than MC. Officially, only quadro cards are approved; unofficially, some forum posters successfully use gaming cards. Search the forums for discussions on the topic and instructions for getting one to work. YMMV.

For a real world cost conscious, minimum conflict, high reliability MC system, consider looking at a HP refurbished z420. Price one with a fast CPU & not much else. HP charges a lot more than Newegg, etc. HP installed parts essentially means prepaying them for “free” replacements under support contract. Go with Newegg, BHPhoto, etc for memory, drives & cards to save money. Again, YMMV.

Good luck, share your experience & enjoy.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 10 2014 12:43 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,381
    • Points 96,975

Great post, Mark.  As others here have probably noticed, I'm a Videoguys DIY fan too.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 10 2014 2:29 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Thanks jwrl. The OP's question comes up fairly often. I just happened to be looking in the forum Sunday & was able to answer first.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 10 2014 6:13 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Hey guys, we just posted an updated blog article on our system recommendations for MC7

Videoguys' PC & Mac System Recommendations for Avid Media Composer 7 (March 2014)

http://tinyurl.com/kkadjwa

Gary

Videoguys.com

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:19 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

[insert preferred phrase] Marianna recently updated the FAQ in complete your suite. It even includes a link to videoguys.

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:40 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

She's the best. 

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller