Latest post Thu, Mar 6 2014 2:46 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 6 2014 11:15 AM

• finnschi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 16 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Workflow for music videos

Hi there, I am currently working on editing a bnuch of music videos but my Workflow has some Issues, maybe you can help me out here.

1. Importing footage (mostly AVCHD 1080p25)(FS700)  and transcoding to DNxHD 185X  (ive got enough HDD space, so why not) 

2. Sync the video(playback track on microphone) to the Music track. There are aprox. 10-15 Good Takes, all from the beginning to the end of the music. (its just a bunch of rappers, there is no real Concept here)

3. Edit.. I always just mark In/Out and then select all tracks exept for the one I want to use for that segment and then Lift, works very good and is very efficient  BUT

Then I end up with a million little pieces, which is very nasty when I want to color Grade the footage.

Right now, i grade a clip on a track then copy the effect into my bin and manually drag it onto each clip on that Track.

That is very very annoying, i would love to just color correct the whole track at once, not just every single clip. 

Working with fillers is also not possible because they effect ALL tracks underneath the filler..

I Tried doing the Grading first, but then I cannot use the Timewarp effect anymore, which I use alot. 

Maybe it would be a good Idea to go through Davinci Resolve, I would actually prefer that, but When I am roundtripping I always end up with a million clips in Resolve, when I actually just want to Grade the Source Clips ... do  you think it would be possible to cut everything in avid(if possible using small DNxHD proxys) and in the end just replace the source files with graded files from davinci?

• Thu, Mar 6 2014 11:26 AM In reply to

Re: Workflow for music videos

That functiinality is part of the Symphony option.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 6 2014 12:21 PM In reply to

• finnschi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 16 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I Do have the Symphony Option.  Big Smile

• Thu, Mar 6 2014 2:46 PM In reply to

finnschi:

I Do have the Symphony Option.  Big Smile

In that case, check out the Source Clip mode in CC, as well as the Program and Track grades there. In the CC too, to the left there is a selection box. The default CC behaves like the one you would have in MC, for just one clip. The Source Clip one lets you apply a grade to one shot as well as all other instances of that shot in the timeline.

Another thing you will like (which is also in MC) is that to the right you have a bunch of preset buttons. ALT-click such a button to save the current grade, click the button on another clip to apply that grade to that clip.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller