Latest post Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:08 PM by Ben Wilson. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 4 2014 9:39 PM

• ScottmFed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 4 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

Upgrade is a downgrade

I recently updated my Mac to Mavricks to install FCPX and didnt realize that my MC5.5 would no longer work. So I bought the bullet and paid $400 for the upgrade to MC7.0.3.  Now none of the BCC 7.0.1 Filters show up in my effect pallette.  Im not going to drop $2k on BCC8 all because of the operating system upgrade I did.  I have been an AVID editor for 15 years. With the lack of customer support and the hidden charges AVID is losing my business and unfortunetly FCPX is going to have to be my primary editor from now on. 

Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Mar 4 2014 9:45 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

Re: Upgrade is a downgrade

Avid jumped to 64bit with version 6, the BCC needs to be upgraded to 64 bit as well. The upgrade cost isn't 2K it is $599.

http://www.borisfx.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=223&category_id=0&pageID=0

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 4 2014 10:14 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,950

Depending on how you use BCC, Avid FX (aka Boris Red) comes with Avid amd may suit your purposes.  (FWIW I ended up buying the newer BCC anyway because it was less clunky.)

• Wed, Mar 5 2014 8:56 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,490

ScottmFed:

I recently updated my Mac to Mavricks to install FCPX and didnt realize that my MC5.5 would no longer work. So I bought the bullet and paid $400 for the upgrade to MC7.0.3.  Now none of the BCC 7.0.1 Filters show up in my effect pallette.  Im not going to drop $2k on BCC8 all because of the operating system upgrade I did.  I have been an AVID editor for 15 years. With the lack of customer support and the hidden charges AVID is losing my business and unfortunetly FCPX is going to have to be my primary editor from now on. 

Avid is not exactly to blame for the fact that you decided to upgrade your system, nor for the fact that Boris charges 599$ for the upgrade. Fact is that if you will use FCPX from now on, you'll probably need to pay for plugins and extra functionality anyway. Just use the software that's best suited to the work you do. If it's FCPX that's good. But if your work is more geared towards an Avid workflow, it would be silly to switch to FCPX just because you don't want to pay for a third party upgrade.

Why didn't you install Mavericks on a second partition ? A dual boot system would have saved you quite some money.

Symphony 8.3 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Radeon 5770, Yosemite 10.10.1, Matrox MXO2 Mini 4.5 - MC 8.3 on MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 3:24 PM In reply to

• ScottmFed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 4 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

I understand. I know Avid is not to blame, I am just frusterated in the fact that Im going to have to drop A grand because of compatibility issues.  All my Adobe products seem to work fine with the OS update but Avid is going to cost a grand.  I understand the it is my fault for not doing my research but I had a emergency edit from a sub contractor that bailed on me that had a half edited project on FCPX. I guess its the cost of doing business. A dual boot system would have been a good idea.

• Wed, Mar 5 2014 3:47 PM In reply to

A lot of folks where in the same boat when Apple "updated" FCP. Didn't do all the things legacy FCP did.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:08 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

ScottmFed:

I understand. I know Avid is not to blame, I am just frusterated in the fact that Im going to have to drop A grand because of compatibility issues.  All my Adobe products seem to work fine with the OS update but Avid is going to cost a grand.  I understand the it is my fault for not doing my research but I had a emergency edit from a sub contractor that bailed on me that had a half edited project on FCPX. I guess its the cost of doing business. A dual boot system would have been a good idea.

One of the things I have learned over the years.  Identify ALL software/hardware components that will be impacted by ANY upgrade.  Find out what the compatibility issues are first.  A little homework will go a long ways.  Often times you will discover little things that you would not expect.  Sometimes you can't catch them all.

FWIW.  Not much now, but for future reference....

[EDIT]  Also, the AVID FX interface is very After Effect like.  Not exactly the same, but very similar.  AND it gives you most of the BCC effects along with Final Effect Complete effects.

[/EDIT]

Several. 1x MC7.0.4 HP z800 dual XEON x5650-2.66GHz 12MB Ram Quadro FX3800 NitrisDX. 4 TB GSPEEDes storage. 2x MC 7.0.4 HP z420 MatroxLE. GSpeedQ 8TB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller