Latest post Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:22 AM by DStone. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 28 2014 12:45 AM

Help with GL2 video capture

I seached this forum and other websites for any help in capturing video using a Canon GL2, but the only thing I have found is other people having the same problems. (without solution) I also am currious to know if people can use Media Composser on LapTops?

When I try to capture, my camera is not found.

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 1:37 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,328
    • Points 16,300

Re: Help with GL2 video capture

On a modern mac you need a firewire to thunderbolt adapter

On a modern PC you need a firewire card

More details would be helpful, what kind of computer, what version of MC, what are your project settings, how are you connecting the camera, what error messages are you seeing?

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 4:22 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,353
    • Points 43,310
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

MC on laptops works just fine, including capture. As was asked earlier, we need some details. What system and OS are you using, and with which version of MC? If using a PC, does the system recognize the camera when it's attached? And did you attach the camera before or after starting MC (you should attach it before). Have you done a Check Decks to see if the camera is recognized?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 4:43 AM In reply to

Its a PC W8.1. I'm using MC7. I do not have a firewire nor a thunderbolt port on the laptop. Im using a 4pin video to usb cable. I'm not getting any error message because it doesn't see the camera.

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 11:48 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,292
    • Points 53,090

MC 6 is not qualified for Windows 8..there have been firewire problems lith the latest versions of Windows, legacy drivers have solved the problem in some cases.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 2:20 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,328
    • Points 16,300

justmeasking:

Its a PC W8.1. I'm using MC6. I do not have a firewire nor a thunderbolt port on the laptop. Im using a 4pin video to usb cable. I'm not getting any error message because it doesn't see the camera.

It never will see the camera on USB -- or more accurately --  it will only see the memory card, not the tape or transport controls.  You need firewire.  Does your laptop have a slot for adapter cards?

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 3:51 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,293
    • Points 59,670
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Ditto... you definitely need firewire to capture from the GL2.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2018.3.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 28 2014 6:53 PM In reply to

smrpix:

It never will see the camera on USB -- or more accurately --  it will only see the memory card, not the tape or transport controls.  You need firewire.  Does your laptop have a slot for adapter cards?

No it does not have a slot. I'm finding out that newer laptops don't come with much anymore. So what would be good solution? What about a pinnacle firewire hub? And is it true that MC6 isn't compatible with windows 8?

Thanks in advance

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 7:19 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

If you tell brand and type of laptop it might be easier to help.

And, about MC 6, it is not certified to use with Windows 8, you need to either upgrade MC to latest 6,5 patch or MC 7 or install Windows 7.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 7:44 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

If you tell brand and type of laptop it might be easier to help.

And, about MC 6, it is not certified to use with Windows 8, you need to either upgrade MC to latest 6,5 patch or MC 7 or install Windows 7.

Its a hp pavilion. and I just bought the program in jan - my applogies, it is version 7.

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 8:00 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Ok, that version will work well, you might want to update to Windows 8,1 and MC 7.03 ( and in that order ) when you have some spare time.

I see difficulties getting firewire into that unit however, maybe ( hopefully ) I´m wrong and others have found a solution.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 8:29 PM In reply to

Firewire and USB are two completely different, and incompatible, interfaces.  There is no adapter or converter in existence - at least not one that would do what you're trying to do.

Your alternatives are to use some other method of capture outside of MC, and then import the resulting files - that's two steps of conversion.  OR, capture via FireWire into some other kind of device that has a hard drive (a FireStore or similar device), and then bring those files into MC.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.4 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 28 2014 8:37 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,328
    • Points 16,300

usatraveler:

Your alternatives are to use some other method of capture outside of MC, and then import the resulting files - that's two steps of conversion.

It's two steps, but as long as you use firewire for the initial transfer there is absolutely no loss of quality.

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 8:56 PM In reply to

All my specs:
    Canon GL2
    MC 7.03
    HP Pavilion laptop- windows 8.1
    (No firewire or thumnder bolt port nor an express port)

I have found that most places that provide information:
    A. Complain that laptops don't have proper ports to capture video
    B. That the Canon GL2 and Media Composer "don't play well together"
    C. Claim there are ways to get around all these issues, but then don't provide a solution.

Is there anyone who has actual insight to this?
    or
    Knows if the Pinnacle Studio MovieBox Ultimate works in the described application?
    or
    Knows if a external hard drive with firewire ports will work or not?
    or
    Has been down this same road and can outline what they did to make the system functional?

(Yes, it is an option to capture it elsewhere, then import the video files - but that is not a practical process in my situation.)

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 9:25 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,328
    • Points 16,300

You need firewire to transfer the tape.  Sorry, there's no magic trick to it.  All of the workarounds you are mentioning have been tried.  They don't work.  And the Studio Moviebox requires a firewire port on the computer to give anything but shabby quality.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller